Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Brand New Bike has a clutch issue. Confirmed by my dealer and honda has authorized them to take the clutch side cover and inspect the linkage assembly.

Good News is, I can still ride the bike until the appointment on Saturday and if I get it close to 300 Miles the first Oil Change is Free!

The issue is that the bike goes up through the gears just fine but getting back down into 1st and sometimes 2nd gear can be a real hassle. I occasionally have nothing happening when pressing down on the foot pedal and then it finally clicks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
are you in the states?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have found, with every bike I have owned, if you pull the clutch in and don't down shift/engine break, and just try to shift into first or second almost at a stop, it wont go. You have to let the clutch out just a little for the trany to drop a gear. If you are in 6th lets say, and you are at a stop, and try to put it into first, you may run into this issue of it not going. Let the clutch out just a little and you will feel the synchros catch up, then click, it goes. I don't like using the engine to brake the bike. Down shifting only when accelerating out of a turn. In my opinion it puts to much pressure on the motor and drive train. Brakes pads are cheaper then a clutch as well. I tend to pull in the clutch and roll further then I should coming to a stop before shifting into first. It happens to me all the time. If indeed that is what is happening to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found, with every bike I have owned, if you pull the clutch in and don't down shift/engine break, and just try to shift into first or second almost at a stop, it wont go. You have to let the clutch out just a little for the trany to drop a gear. If you are in 6th lets say, and you are at a stop, and try to put it into first, you may run into this issue of it not going. Let the clutch out just a little and you will feel the synchros catch up, then click, it goes. I don't like using the engine to brake the bike. Down shifting only when accelerating out of a turn. In my opinion it puts to much pressure on the motor and drive train. Brakes pads are cheaper then a clutch as well. I tend to pull in the clutch and roll further then I should coming to a stop before shifting into first. It happens to me all the time. If indeed that is what is happening to you.
Yeah no this is different, the mechanic rode it and said, something is certainly wrong with that bike.

My CBR250 acted the way you described but this, the shifting is almost like the lever is completely detached for a few minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow. I sure hope it gets worked out for you. I had issues with my brothers CBR250. The darn thing would never idle right. It had been that way since he took delivery from the dealer. The engine always pinged and the R's jumped around a bit before it warmed up. He traded it in for a CBR500r and is loving it. The linkage is kinda strange in the 500s. Might be something real simple. Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I also have problems getting down into 1st quite often. I'm not sure if it's my riding habits (as described by Big Times), or an actual clutch issue. I've never had this problem with other bikes, so that's where I'm torn. Maybe I'll have someone else ride it and see what they think.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I also have problems getting down into 1st quite often. I'm not sure if it's my riding habits (as described by Big Times), or an actual clutch issue. I've never had this problem with other bikes, so that's where I'm torn. Maybe I'll have someone else ride it and see what they think.
You think it could be a shift-linkage issue?
( Or something internal with the shift-barrel or shift-forks? )

:confused:

I hope this is not a "trend". This worries me a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
a lot of bikes if you coast to a stop then try to shift into first have a hard time finding it.... that's why its always good to downshift and let off the clutch and repeat.. ****, my dirtbikes have that problem as well lol

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
try blipping the throttle a tiny bit

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't play with it, bring it to the shop! Honda's don't act like this normally.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could have just got a bad unit. That is what warranty is for! At least Honda is taking care of it.
Absolutely! I was just posting here in case others had the same issue.

Crud, they called me today and said Honda called them back and gave them a parts list to order for the bike and they would call me when the parts arrived.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have to admit i have problems going from say 3 to 1 (at a stand still) sometimes it wont even go to first without easing off the clutch a little in fact while i was rolling to a stop i was shifting down from 3 to 2 it grinded until i stopped then it shifted weird.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have to admit i have problems going from say 3 to 1 (at a stand still) sometimes it wont even go to first without easing off the clutch a little in fact while i was rolling to a stop i was shifting down from 3 to 2 it grinded until i stopped then it shifted weird.
If you think you have an issue, it cannot hurt to have them check it out. Honestly, the Honda Extended warranties are the only ones I ever buy because I know they honor the thing without ever giving you a hassle and your bike is under warranty so, if you think you have an issue then go ahead and have it checked out.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts