Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I average about 20 min per session on the race track. I run a 30 min endurance race every round and a 4 hour Endurance race once per year. My sprint races are normally 10-15 min each and we get 3 different 15 min practice sessions on Saturdays and 2 10 min sessions on Sundays. Track days are either split into 30 min fast/slow groups or if there is less than 30 signups it's just open track time for 8 hours! I race at least 30 sprint races and 7 endurance races in one season and usually sign up for 10 or more track days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use my bike for day to day transportation and fun! My commute usually varies between 20 and 50 miles roundtrip and my day rides usually end up between 150 and 500 miles.

Reactions: Cycleruss

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am lucky enough to live in an area full of small, less than two lane, narrow steep twisty roads with very little in the way of traffic. When not using the Honda for commuting or errand running I normally spend two to four fun filled hours on these roads. Often times I am mostly in second or third gear with the occasional dip into first for a steep corkscrew hairpin or forth for the rare short straightaway. Since the quality of our pavement is thourghly abissimal it does keep me on my game. Any descently paved road feels like a miracale & I pretend I am in Switzerland! Our county is famous for it's great road bicycling (which I also do) & the same holds true for the sport bike. Not so much for Hog riders. My last bike was a Yamaha SR 500 single which was perfect for these roads. The Honda is a close second. I am not dissapointed.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Which is why I am happy with the stock gearing. While a taller 6th gear would be nice, I wouldn't want the other gears any taller.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have barely ridden much this year due to Covid, but last year:

Total mileage: 19,733 miles
Trips: 80
Average: 246 miles
Longest day trip: 419 miles

Most of my riding is for leisure. Last year I rode 20,708 miles in total but I excluded little local trips and the 60-mile round trips between my dad's house and visiting him in hospital. Although I still included the trips from London to my dad's house as that was the only other riding I was doing last autumn and I treated them as leisure rides. The direct route is 155 miles, but I travelled went close to that way once, with one time using a route which was 327 miles.

I like to get up as it gets bright, although I will sleep in in the middle of summer when twilight starts at 2:40am, and get home as it gets dark. Being in inner London it is nice to leave the city before traffic gets busy. I plan my trips to try to use roads I have not been on before, and with somewhere to stop and look around. Normally a costal location on in some hills, and longer trips usually having more shorter stops.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I generally do between 95 and 145 miles per ride once a week. Virtually all twisties with some small hills and 1% motorway. That's why I fancy 43T on the rear. 19 plate with 4,900 on the clock, that includes coronavirus lockdown for 3 months.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have only managed 2,762 miles this year, having not ridden since March. But it was only ten trips, so good for my average!

Often I would go out all day both Saturday and Sunday, although only a short trip on Saturdays when there is a Speedway Grand Prix, so I can be home in time to watch it.

This is my entry for the August bank holiday weekend last year:

Sat, Aug 24 365m 14y Wye Valley and Evesham
Sun, Aug 25 357m 412y Nottingham via Loughborough
Mon, Aug 26 419m 706y Teignmouth and Sidmouth (total = 1,141m 1,132y)

The main features of the Wye Valley trip was a look around Tintern Abbey and a walk on the English side of the river, then up into the hills above Llandgogo for walk there where someone else's dog took exception to me! And Teignmouth was my favourite trip of the year, I love the Dorst coast and along into Devon. Ended up watching a beach cricket competition taking place across the Teign in Shaldon. Meant I had to abort a stop in Dawlish, though I did also stop at the Seaview viewpoint in Poole on the way home as well as Sidmouth.

The only things I remember about the trip to Nottingham was stopping off at a nature area to the west of the city that was rather boring. Then when I got back to the car park the thermometer on my bike was showing 100 °F. But it was also day four of the second Ashes test at Headingley, and coming down the A5 the cricket was so exciting it needed my concentration more than the road, so I pulled into a lay-by so I could listen live on the radio with the streaming delayed video on Sky Go. Because of that I had to abandon my plans for a stop in Milton Keynes.

Covid has so badly messed things up I did not even realize this weekend was a bank holiday until just now checking my ride details from last year. As I am still waiting for a new chain link I may not even get to go out at all this year.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I like to go through the back roads of the mountains of upper South Carolina up to the BlueRidge Parkway of NC and do about 100-150+ mile round trip. This is a nice bike for such trips - ease of handling, plenty of power for that, and with original everything (xcept hanlebars) the ride is quiet. My biggest complaint: The seat is like sitting on a formed brick. Virtually zero cushioning after one sits down. I put about a 1-1/2" foam pad on top of it, but it doesn't help much as once it squeezes down, it doesn't add much cushioning.

After going through 3 BMW's with great seating, this one is a bit hard on my bottom. So...100 or a little more is about all I can take!

Reactions: bambams

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have only managed 2,762 miles this year, having not ridden since March. But it was only ten trips, so good for my average!

Often I would go out all day both Saturday and Sunday, although only a short trip on Saturdays when there is a Speedway Grand Prix, so I can be home in time to watch it.

This is my entry for the August bank holiday weekend last year:

Sat, Aug 24 365m 14y Wye Valley and Evesham
Sun, Aug 25 357m 412y Nottingham via Loughborough
Mon, Aug 26 419m 706y Teignmouth and Sidmouth (total = 1,141m 1,132y)

The main features of the Wye Valley trip was a look around Tintern Abbey and a walk on the English side of the river, then up into the hills above Llandgogo for walk there where someone else's dog took exception to me! And Teignmouth was my favourite trip of the year, I love the Dorst coast and along into Devon. Ended up watching a beach cricket competition taking place across the Teign in Shaldon. Meant I had to abort a stop in Dawlish, though I did also stop at the Seaview viewpoint in Poole on the way home as well as Sidmouth.

The only things I remember about the trip to Nottingham was stopping off at a nature area to the west of the city that was rather boring. Then when I got back to the car park the thermometer on my bike was showing 100 °F. But it was also day four of the second Ashes test at Headingley, and coming down the A5 the cricket was so exciting it needed my concentration more than the road, so I pulled into a lay-by so I could listen live on the radio with the streaming delayed video on Sky Go. Because of that I had to abandon my plans for a stop in Milton Keynes.

Covid has so badly messed things up I did not even realize this weekend was a bank holiday until just now checking my ride details from last year. As I am still waiting for a new chain link I may not even get to go out at all this year.
Don't forget Friday and Saturday SWGP.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Aye, I checked the other day and was glad I did as I thought it was every weekend in September.

I also thought they were going to be on Saturdays and Sundays, which is what made me think to check as that would have clashed with the Polish league.

It is going to be strange this year not only because of Covid but they changed backed to the older point system for the championship instead of carrying over points from the meeting. So one to twelve points based on finishing positions to the semi-finals, then 14, 16, 18, and 20 points to the finalist.

It seems a strange time to make such a big change it with it being B.S.I.'s final year promoting the series. Something did need to be done, as it looked stupid whenever Tai Woffinden said he did not care about winning grands prix but about accumulating championship points. But he was not wrong, given the rules that was the smart way to think.

However the problem with the new system is someone could be on a maximum and then have a mechanical fault in the semi-final and end with just 10 points instead of the 15 they earned whilst a rider who makes the semi-finals on 7 points will score 11 championship points just for finishing the semi-final.

I liked it when the final was for double points, that way both overall performance and winning grands prix mattered.

Anyone reading this who has no idea what I am talking, speedway is a form of dirt bike racing on short oval track on bikes without gears or brakes. And if you do not live in a major speedway country then you can legally watch the Grand Prix series for free on Youtube. The first two are tomorrow and Saturday at 5pm GMT, which is 7pm CEST and 1pm EDT

·
Registered
285 Posts
Aye, I checked the other day and was glad I did as I thought it was every weekend in September.

I also thought they were going to be on Saturdays and Sundays, which is what made me think to check as that would have clashed with the Polish league.

It is going to be strange this year not only because of Covid but they changed backed to the older point system for the championship instead of carrying over points from the meeting. So one to twelve points based on finishing positions to the semi-finals, then 14, 16, 18, and 20 points to the finalist.

It seems a strange time to make such a big change it with it being B.S.I.'s final year promoting the series. Something did need to be done, as it looked stupid whenever Tai Woffinden said he did not care about winning grands prix but about accumulating championship points. But he was not wrong, given the rules that was the smart way to think.

However the problem with the new system is someone could be on a maximum and then have a mechanical fault in the semi-final and end with just 10 points instead of the 15 they earned whilst a rider who makes the semi-finals on 7 points will score 11 championship points just for finishing the semi-final.

I liked it when the final was for double points, that way both overall performance and winning grands prix mattered.

Anyone reading this who has no idea what I am talking, speedway is a form of dirt bike racing on short oval track on bikes without gears or brakes. And if you do not live in a major speedway country then you can legally watch the Grand Prix series for free on Youtube. The first two are tomorrow and Saturday at 5pm GMT, which is 7pm CEST and 1pm EDT

I will be rooting for Tai but quite like Leon Madson

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would favour Madsen too. I normally back Iversen and Lindgren, but they do not feel like genuine contenders at the moment.

And it seems so weird after watching Lambert win the S.E.C. months ago to qualify that it was for 2021. They will miss not having him.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would favour Madsen too. I normally back Iversen and Lindgren, but they do not feel like genuine contenders at the moment.

And it seems so weird after watching Lambert win the S.E.C. months ago to qualify that it was for 2021. They will miss not having him.
I like NKI ironically my mate lives in the same street as him.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That was not the best start, I missed the first three heats because it took that long for them to turn on the official YouTube stream, and I could not find an illegal one. So just in time to see blue touch the tapes. Then their replacement touch the tapes. And I say blue as it was only mid-heat they added Nigel and Kelv.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That was not the best start, I missed the first three heats because it took that long for them to turn on the official YouTube stream, and I could not find an illegal one. So just in time to see blue touch the tapes. Then their replacement touch the tapes. And I say blue as it was only mid-heat they added Nigel and Kelv.
I have BT sport fortunately. Do you pay for the YouTube.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The YouTube world feed is free, but only available in countries without a TV deal.

I could not justify the cost of B.T. when they took the G.P.s from Eurosport. Their broadband is not an option for me so £25 per month only to watch two meetings per month was far too expensive.

Fortunately at that time the Opera web browser has a built-in V.P.N. and the YouTube feed worked with that, so I could watch for free. So when Opera removed their V.P.N. I just paid for one. It would have been happy paying that directly to B.T. or B.S.I.

Thankfully next season it will be back on Eurosport, as well as domestic coverage which I have missed completely since it left Sky. It was still the Elite League!

The world feed has no build up, and Nigel and Kelv just talk along with the Kiri Bloore interviews during the T.V. breaks. I do not know if any were used by B.T., but yesterday most of the breaks had Chris Holder interviewed by Bloore to give his analysis. I think distancing is causing a problem for a lot of the riders with hearing the questions so there have been less of those. Plus I think Fox take the world feed in Australia

·
Registered
285 Posts
I
The YouTube world feed is free, but only available in countries without a TV deal.

I could not justify the cost of B.T. when they took the G.P.s from Eurosport. Their broadband is not an option for me so £25 per month only to watch two meetings per month was far too expensive.

Fortunately at that time the Opera web browser has a built-in V.P.N. and the YouTube feed worked with that, so I could watch for free. So when Opera removed their V.P.N. I just paid for one. It would have been happy paying that directly to B.T. or B.S.I.

Thankfully next season it will be back on Eurosport, as well as domestic coverage which I have missed completely since it left Sky. It was still the Elite League!

The world feed has no build up, and Nigel and Kelv just talk along with the Kiri Bloore interviews during the T.V. breaks. I do not know if any were used by B.T., but yesterday most of the breaks had Chris Holder interviewed by Bloore to give his analysis. I think distancing is causing a problem for a lot of the riders with hearing the questions so there have been less of those. Plus I think Fox take the world feed in Australia
Think we pay £60 a year so I can have SWGP and motoGP. Plus I should have had elite league as well, I think BT has elite league next year. We will be getting every channel next year for £140 one off payment then £60 a year for updates. Can't wait.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts