Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not counting WORK related rides.
How many miles do you ride when you go out on a pleasure ride, by yourself or with friends?
How long (hours) do you ride on average?

Being semi retired, I ride with friends 3 days a week. And I lead.
Almost every ride seems to be at least 150 miles or more. And that may be from 8 am to 2pm.
Most times headed home by noon because of it being so hot, or rain approaching.
Adding up my averages, no wonder I have put on over 10,000 miles since I got my 2016 CB500F
in January.
What can I say? I love to ride! 50 years of motorcycling on the highways, and still loving it!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I hope the day never comes when I feel too weathered to ride. My age is creeping into my tendons and joints. My arthritic hands and feet start to revolt against my passion for riding more and more, but I'm determined to ride on. When I ride for pleasure it's usually within 100 miles and I'll stop half way through for a cup of coffee and stretch my legs a bit before returning home. I'll admit that sometimes I use the coffee as an excuse to get to ride and sometimes I use the ride as an excuse to get the coffee. Coffee is another passion of mine. I ride alone always. These days solitude is precious and there's no better way to spend it. I love riding, truly love it. I hope I can ride until the day I die.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Riding the bike for me is usually commuting, so work and back, plus work-related meetings or site visits make up the majority of my time on the bike. That said, the commute can be the best part of my day. I always feel a bit of pleasure as I'm getting ready to go- even to work.

But for non-commuting riding, I'm unfortunately fairly limited. Weekend shopping and errands I do on the bike if at all possible. That unfortunately doesn't add up to very much mileage, probably 20km per trip, and that would be more urban riding. But I still do it on the bike if at all possible and I ride as early and late in the year as I can.

I am scheming to get out this Friday; take the day off and do a circle-route over to Vancouver Island possibly. I've done that a few times in the past. Its about 200 kms or so and I might make it an overnight trip and extend the distance. I'd love to be able to go on bike trips more often.

I too prefer to ride alone, as I would rather just enjoy the scenery and ride at my own pace and without navigational debates or obligations. I look for the smaller roads, with more curves and places to slow down or stop to see the sights. Plus I like the man-machine connection.

I love riding and hope also that I can keep it up for a long time. In fact, I hope that when we retire (as if) we can be somewhere with more curving roads and better biking territory. I'm also old enough that I don't bend and bounce the way I used to so, so I'm looking for comfy ergos on the bike and roads where I don't just wear out the centre of the tires.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i try to hit the malibu canyons (~10 miles from my house) for spirited riding once a week: average 100 miles each time. sometimes i just ride along the coast to relax or just explore los angeles: average 200 miles each time. since i bought my bike in 2015, i've logged about 26,000 miles, of that maybe less than 20% being freeway miles. i don't commute to work but i do run errands on the bike sometimes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
About 1/2 of my rides are about 50 miles / 1 hr, usually alone.
The other 1/2 rides are with my wife on her scooter, where we ride a shorted distance at a lower speed, hence about 1hr. rides.
All of the rides are for relaxation since we are both retired.

Ride safely

·
Registered
668 Posts
Since purchasing my bike new in February, I've put just over 6,000 miles on it. Six months in, and I'm already due for a new rear tire. But, my bike is my primary means of transportation these days. On top of that, whenever I find a free day with nice weather, I try to go for a long ride, usually down toward central Florida. I ride alone most of the time, but I also enjoy riding with one or two other riders; larger groups, however, are not my thing.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Does no one do shopping and errands on their bike? The bikes are my major means of transportation and most trips are under 20 miles with multiple stops.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I find a 100 mile ride is too hard on the wrists and ass. Most rides probably average about 1 hour give or take. This is not freeways, but Northern Ontario highways (60 mph), through town (35 mph), or back highways (50 mph). Based on that my average distance is probably about 50 miles. Anybody that can manage to ride this bike without ergo mods for more than an hour straight needs to let me in on their secret! I love to ride, but I don't love to ache, and certainly don't consider it safe to ride when my brake hand is going numb. :spin In any case, this year I've also just been so **** busy that I haven't gotten to ride as often as I'd like. I finally got to take a ride on Sunday, and it was about time because the bike probably sat for nearly 2 months. Our summer hasn't been very good though either. Lots of rain, and though it's mid-August our nights are already cold!

Reactions: PiedmontBuckeye

·
Registered
133 Posts
My rides are almost every day and are 2 to 250 miles as I use my bike for transportation, errands and fun. I'm lucky as I'm able to work where I live and I'm semi retired.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just picked up my CB500F last Saturday and the most I've done in a stint is about 50 miles. I'm guessing I could easily do a 100-200 mile day on this without too much fatigue. I need to adjust the grips though...they're small and hard my hands get uncomfortable after a bit. On my Victory, I've done many, many 500-600 mile days. I've done 750 before as well. Haven't worked up to an iron butt just yet. I don't see the point of doing 1000 miles in a 24hr period on a bike. But I'm sure I'll stick one in some day just to say I have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first rides (first bike, 2015 500F) were about 10 minutes long and terrifying! I rode jerkily around the neighborhood or just enough to get to an open parking lot for some practice.

A few months later, I'm commuting in heavy Northern Virginia traffic and interstates (35 miles roundtrip) and have taken some longer rides of 200 miles or so. I've been on the bike for 2 hours at a stretch, at about 75 mph, but most of my rides are under an hour.

I am starting to ride more for around-town trips, errands, etc. The main thing that has helped with longer trips and commuting is a Kriega tail bag. It lets me carry about anything I need for commuting (laptop, clothes) or small shopping trips. The 30L size holds a lot.

I find that the more I ride, the more I want to ride. I have a longer trip planned in a few weeks, to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. That should be a fun one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
We usually do approx 150 miles on a Sunday, we ride all season unless there is ice or snow on the road, we manage this because we have electrically heated suits and gloves. We have just changed from owning Bonnevilles to two 2 cb500f's, we did this because of our advancing age, I am 80 and my wife is 76, I think we are the oldest riding couple in the UK.

Plasan1

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Cheers for @Plasma1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
My work ride is about 45 miles of mostly scenic mountain roads which takes 50 mins to an hour. My pleasure rides are usually between 75-140 miles depending on my route. I like to hop onto Skyline Drive by my house and ride it down till it becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway, then double back on local roads for a bite to eat. Always a wonderful ride.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
@Plasma1 I'm in the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, a family-oriented motorcycle club for Gold Wingers and friends in the US and Canada and a few other countries around the world. Gold Wings are not really known as the 15 year old's motorcycle, or the 25 year old's motorcycle, or even the 35 year old's motorcycle. Basically I joined the club when I was about 26 or 27 years old and the average age is probably closer to 60. There are a few of them pushing 70s and 80s too, but I'd wager you have them all beat. Good for you! Cheers from Canada. :beers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Use the bike for commuting to work, which varies from 5km to 25km depending on the client site.Also use the bike to run errands.
On weekends my fun rides usually are about 1.5 to 2h all made on secondary twisty roads.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plasma1 "I am 80 and my wife is 76, I think we are the oldest riding couple in the UK."

God bless you both.
Two guys that I ride with are in their late 80's. One 86,the other 88. They both gave up their motorcycles
for Suzuki Burgman 650 scooters. Easier for them to swing leg through instead of over. Also problems
with leg position and arthritis in hands. No clutch lever to pull on the scooter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts