Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like suggestions and information about any auxiliary lighting you have used on your motorcycles. Any particular brands or styles you prefer? How difficult was the install, especially the wiring? And what wiring circuit did you tap?
Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
The lights I bought were useless, so I will not recommend them. However the cable was easy.

Where to wire them depends on whether you want them to work independently of the bike being powered. The option connectors share a 7.5A fuse, so that should be enough power for some LEDs if you are not running much else from them.

However as I have the Honda heated grips this firstly ruled out being able to use the front option connector, which is behind the headlamp on the F models. But it also made me feel less comfortable about running lights on the same circuit along with a USB on my bars and a 12V socket in my top box.

So instead I bought a relay so I created my own switched connection with the lights wired to the battery.

So I connected the positive on the option connector to a switch, which goes into pin 85 on the relay, then I connected pin 86 back to the earth/ground/negative on the option connector. I have a fuse on there too, but I cannot remember which side of the switch I added it. I think I read something that gave a good reason for putting it on the negative side, though I suppose it does not matter.

Although you can put the switch on the circuit which powers the lights, by putting on it this one means a much smaller current will pass through the switch. Which just seemed safer. It also means the cable to the lights is cut off unless the lights are switched on, which also seemed safer as nothing at the front of the bike should cause a short circuit on the battery.

Then for the lights I took the positive from the battery through a fuse, into pin 30 on the relay. From pin 87 I ran a cable which I split for the positive side of the lights, then combined the negative sides of the lights which I ran back to the battery.

Physically I wired a ring connector to a dual female bullet connector for the battery, and likewise with a Sumitomo HM 090 connector for the options port. A connector for the latter is used as a cover for the port, so you only need to buy the pins and rubber stoppers to wire one up.

(I also made my own four-in-one bullet connectors by placing two female dual bullet connectors together in a square, and using as little cable as possible to combine them with a male connector at the other end and the whole thing wrapped in tape. This is because I also power a Sat nav and USB ports on the options connector, and an alarm and my top box from the battery.)

Then I bought a length of caravan cable, which is almost certainly overkill, but it keeps things simple. Two cores connecting male bullet connectors to single female ones, and another two connector male to dual female ones. Then I just had to remove the side panels to run it from under the seat (male) so that it came out behind the headlamp (female).

The switch has just enough cable to reach behind the head lamp, ending in male bullet connectors. The lamps need just enough cable to reach being the champ lamp, ending in male bullet connectors. And then it all easily plugs together.

Under the seat the relay was wired with male bullet connectors on pins 30 and 85, and female ones on pins 86 and 87. And that all plugs together easily too, the only difficult is making sure there is both enough cable to play with and not too much cable that it gets in the way.

And, of course, not forgetting to wire in some inline fuses everywhere appropriate.

I am not sure if it is clear, but I like bullet connectors. That said, I think a connector which properly locks, and better still is waterproof, is better to use behind the headlamp where it will be exposed. So I did plan on replacing those, but as my lights were useless I put it that off until I found some better ones and would have to change things. But despite a lot of rain the connectors have so far survived okay.

The good thing about my arguably excessive wiring is that I can simply unplug the lights and so dan replace them without even having to remove the seat.

Unfortunately the medical advice for me is to stay at home, so I cannot go out to take any photos. Although that is probably for the best as it is a complete mess under my seat! Ideally it can be improved anyway, as I only added the caravan cable for the lights and it has unused cores. So I could strip out the separate cables for the USB ports and sat nav to reduce the amount under the seat. And putting connectors on those will make everything modular in case I switch sat nav brands or need to replace the USB ports. Which I probably do as despite being covered they are showing rust.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts