Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I bought the smaller Baja Designs lights for my 2017 cb500f. I simply bolted them in place of the little side-reflectors mounted on the fork lowers (maybe just US bikes have these?). When I got to work yesterday, I found one of them dangling - the mount snapped. I was lucky that it didn't catch in the front wheel!

Mounting down there was nice in that the bright little buggers wouldn't shine in the mirrors of cars in front of me, at least in tight traffic, but other than that it's not ideal. They bounce a lot since they're on the fork lower, and they don't throw light down at the road.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better mounting strategy? I'd rather not drill the plastic bodywork unless I have to.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Like those of you who have read this and not replied, I don't see any obviously great spots. Two possibilities:
1) The matte black area toward the lower rear of the black pieces that serve as wind blocks for your knees. Pro: Higher up and well-separated, so will throw light better both for my vision and to improve distance judgment for folks who are thinking about pulling out in front of me. Con: They're right at knee level - I'd better not run into anything.
2) Side panels of the fenders. Pro: Totally out of the way. Cons: Unsprung again, and since the fenders are flimsy, they'll be bouncy. Not in a good place for optics.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
371 Posts
The problem looks to be the length of the original bracket, combined with the additional weight of the light over the reflector, and the loadings imposed by the assembly being unsprung. You'd probably have got away with it if the mounting point had been on a sprung part of the bike, or if the light unit had weighed less. Maybe a shorter (and therefore less stressed) bespoke bracket attached where the broken one used to fix?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Will the light mount bracket fit in place of the reflector bracket, directly on the fork?

Maybe a longer bolt and spacer will get you there. I’ll have to look at my bike to get an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
generally people mount aux lights on their crashbars. Since the CB500F doesn't have any and the frame is really skinny, your best bet would be to get one which would then give you plenty of real estate to figure out where to put the additional lighting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrecting this post since I’m wanting to mount aux lights on mine as well. I saw a bracket (from SWMotech I believe) for the 500x that mounts below the headlight area. Has anyone tried that bracket on the 500F, or is that area way different on the X?

My other thought was to use fork mounts.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Neither that Denali mount, nor anything like it, will fit the CB500F models. Because the cowling has a recess for the forks, anything that sticks out to the side of the head lamp will prevent you turning the bike.

Sadly our bike is not suited to adding auxiliary lights. As far as I am aware the only options for placing them are to hang some from the handlebars; fitting engine bars and using those as an attachment point; or buying or making a mount that will a bolt which connects the mudguard / fender to the lower forks.

Which is best will partly depends on what you want the lights for. We talked about the fork option a little on this thread, where OldRocker found a 500F specific Chinese kit they liked.

As I said on that thread, I plan to buy the generic version of that mount on eBay and some suitable bolts separately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts