Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That trip to Montana was put off a year because of my mother's health problems. Then I forgot to do this.:frown:

I enjoyed Utah. The first picture is Utah 12 near Bryce Canyon. Then a shortcut to get to Utah 150. Quake lake in Montana. A shot of the hay bales in the Jefferson Valley, MT, with the Tobacco Root Mountains in the background. And, one more picture from Utah 150 of Bald Mountain. The pass is at an elevation of 10,700 feet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The trip was during the summer of 2015.

I tried to hold the mileage to 450 miles per day or less, and was limited by stopping in Flagstaff to visit the youngest boy and his family going both ways. The "excuse" for buying the CB500XA was to have a safer, more comfortable ride up to spoil grand kids in Flagstaff. I'm south of Tucson and the worst part of the trip was skirting Tucson to take 77 to Globe, then up 180 to Roosevelt Lake and on to Payson, and then back roads into Flag. It is about 335 miles the way I ride it. All but Tucson is enjoyable.

The second day I rode US 89 to Page and Kanab and then continued on US 89 until I reached Utah 12. I rode Utah 12 to Bicknell, enjoying the Dixie National Forest.

The third day was sweet but a tad long. I took Utah 72 and Utah 10 to Price, and then took US 191 to Duchesne and then took Utah 87 to Utah 35 and followed 35 until I could take a gravel road to Utah 150. I believe the turnoff was called Pitchstone Pass. I enjoyed 150 until I got to Evanston, Wyoming. I was lost in Evanston for at least 30 minutes due to non-existent road signs. I took US 89 out of Evanston and followed it to Montpelier, Idaho where I stopped for the night. Bad motel and bad food options, avoid Montpelier.

The 4th day I went back to Wyoming taking 89 north to Jackson and toured the Teton and Yellowstone Parks, coming out at West Yellowstone, taking US 191 to US 287 to Montana 41 at Twin Bridges and then MT 41 and MT 2 into Butte. Another fairly long day which ended with hail and rain 2 miles from the motel. I got soaked in that one thinking that I could beat it and not stopping for the rain gear. I did laundry that night.

The return trip took me from Helena, MT, to Afton, Wyoming for the first night and it was a bit better than Montpelier. The next two nights were in Bicknell and Flagstaff again, with minor rain and good riding conditions. I spent too much time having breakfast with a grand daughter in Flagstaff, so I pushed 80+ mph on AZ 77 to get home when I said I would. The bike performed flawlessly. I use ATF to lube chains so I lubed at my lunch break and at night, which worked well.

P.S. My mother is 105 years old. The "reason" for the trip was the 40th reunion of the Cat Creek Social Club, the group that I hunted elk with until I retired to Arizona. I did camp in Butte, using the sleeping bag that created a bit of wind drag.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
One thing about riding up in those areas, and I've been all over those areas. I don't think I've ever been up there without hitting rain of some type. You sort of ride in and out of the weather up that way. One time I even hit a major rain storm riding across 50 through Nevada the month of June for God Sake.. Rain follows me somehow on long trips.

Went through Flagstaff once..... YUP, it rained. Go figure.

Death Valley, went there and it didn't rain but the second day it got cloudy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts