Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls.

I'm changing sprockets to go taller gearing. Just wondering if anyone has installed the speedohealer or speedrd and could give some steps on removing the fairing and where to look and what to do.

If you could help before I start that would be great thanks. Im hoping to do the speedohealer before I change sprockets but not sure ill be able to do it myself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Get the service manual, it should have a wiring diagram which shows the wiring, priceless for electronic mods, mine is on order so I haven't seen it yet though.

I saw a nice video on installing a Datatool Gear indicator on a cb600, it showed how to remove the front fairings, was almost the same as my BMW. The service manual also likely has procedures for removing fairings. I wish I had mine and I could just tell you if it was worth it to buy.

www.helminc.com is where you buy the manuals

Why are you doing taller gears anyway? MPG?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fitted a Speedohealer to my X. The speed pulse connector plug VS1 is on top of the gearbox. If you buy the Honda connection kit it's simply a case of plugging it into the circuit. However you can barely see the plug, let alone get to it. Others have managed - I failed! I hard wired my Speedhealer into the wiring loom on the inside of the left fairing. Worked perfectly. Now have a dead accurate speedo. Speedo healers aren't cheap, but I got annoyed with the 7% error. Now happy!

Just do a search on 'speedohealer'. There are a few posts already.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just ordered a speedohealer and a gipro (gear indicator).

I have a service manual now, yeah big job to take off the fairings.

I hope I can get them both installed.

I want taller gearing and an acurate speedometer too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just ordered a speedohealer and a gipro (gear indicator).

I have a service manual now, yeah big job to take off the fairings.

I hope I can get them both installed.

I want taller gearing and an acurate speedometer too.
Ahh interesting. Manual should definitely come in handy. I'm thinking about getting honda to install it for me.

I ordered a 38tooth renthal rear. Just for a better highway cruising rpm and better fuel mpg. I dislike the high rpm when there's enough torque at 4600rpm to do 110kph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fitted a Speedohealer to my X. The speed pulse connector plug VS1 is on top of the gearbox. If you buy the Honda connection kit it's simply a case of plugging it into the circuit. However you can barely see the plug, let alone get to it. Others have managed - I failed! I hard wired my Speedhealer into the wiring loom on the inside of the left fairing. Worked perfectly. Now have a dead accurate speedo. Speedo healers aren't cheap, but I got annoyed with the 7% error. Now happy!

Just do a search on 'speedohealer'. There are a few posts already.
Same I can't handle incorrect speedos or wrong fuel data. Interesting about how u hard wired the healer. I wonder I my r model is easier to access?.. Thanks

Btw how many wires for speed pulse connector?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same I can't handle incorrect speedos or wrong fuel data. Interesting about how u hard wired the healer. I wonder I my r model is easier to access?.. Thanks

Btw how many wires for speed pulse connector?
Hi CBR King. The connector has three wires - two for the 12v supply and one for the pulse output to the instrument panel.

I doubt that the connector is any easier to get to on your CBR compared with the X. Access is difficult because it's located on top of the gearbox, under the throttle bodies, hoses etc. You'll need very skilful fingers to get the plug out, and plug the Speedohealer plug and socket into position. It can be done, but not by me! Good luck!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey CBR king, where did you get the 38T sprocket and part #?

I think that one is about perfect for me.

I am guessing you needed a 110T chain for it too?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ok, here is the pic of the plug where the speedohealer installs.

The lower circle is the plug for the engine speed sensor.
The upper circle is another plug I had to remove to make enough space for my fingers to fit.

It was like assembling a ship in a bottle, I had to use long screwdrivers and pliers combined with my fingers to manipulate the plugs, and it took over an hour just to plug it in. I am short, so I guess my hands are a bit smaller than some, I was able to do it, but just barely.

I had to compress the water hose slightly with a screwdriver once to reach the first plug to move it out of the way. I also moved the clutch cable out of the way to make access easier, you can see it on the left of the pic.

The view is from the right side of the bike, and only the rear cowl is removed (the easy one), I didn't have to take anything else off, so doable if you can do ship-in-a-bottle kind-of work.

In the service manual the pics are on pages 4-40 and 1-75 (for the cb500x). It is called the VS sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Wow, I had to take the whole thing apart to get to the plug. You must have tiny hands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, here is the pic of the plug where the speedohealer installs.

The lower circle is the plug for the engine speed sensor.
The upper circle is another plug I had to remove to make enough space for my fingers to fit.

It was like assembling a ship in a bottle, I had to use long screwdrivers and pliers combined with my fingers to manipulate the plugs, and it took over an hour just to plug it in. I am short, so I guess my hands are a bit smaller than some, I was able to do it, but just barely.

I had to compress the water hose slightly with a screwdriver once to reach the first plug to move it out of the way. I also moved the clutch cable out of the way to make access easier, you can see it on the left of the pic.

The view is from the right side of the bike, and only the rear cowl is removed (the easy one), I didn't have to take anything else off, so doable if you can do ship-in-a-bottle kind-of work.

In the service manual the pics are on pages 4-40 and 1-75 (for the cb500x). It is called the VS sensor.
How did you do that?!!! I tried for over an hour today and couldn't get anywhere near the speedo connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did you do that?!!! I tried for over an hour today and couldn't get anywhere near the speedo connector.
Chiming in with a success story:

I ordered and installed a SpeedoDRD H3 healer from Amazon. It's cheaper than most competitors, it's easy enough to program, and the device itself is tiny. The company's site has detailed programming instructions, along with a gear ratio calculator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1THJS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kurth83 correctly identifies the speed sensor port on the engine. While it is difficult to access, I'm happy to report that it is possible to install the healer wiring without removing any major parts, and despite the fact that I typically wear 2XL gloves. If you already need to remove the tank and throttle bodies and/or drain the coolant, these steps will make installation easier, but they aren't necessary.

I would add couple tips to his installation process: 1. Rather than compressing the coolant hose with a screwdriver, zip tie it up to the frame to get it completely out of the way - once I figured this out, everything else went smoothly.

2. Feed the speedo healer wiring in from the left side of the bike, align its port with the speed sensor port on the engine, then carefully and patiently ooch the two into each other. This step may take a few minutes, and will definitely be tedious, but it should work.

Also, I ended up storing the healer gadget itself between the battery and the airbox.

I installed this gadget after switching to a 39 tooth rear sprocket, which has been a great change so far: http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/e...ing-sprocket-changes-cb500x-4.html#post864578

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chiming in with a success story:

I ordered and installed a SpeedoDRD H3 healer from Amazon. It's cheaper than most competitors, it's easy enough to program, and the device itself is tiny. The company's site has detailed programming instructions, along with a gear ratio calculator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S1THJS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kurth83 correctly identifies the speed sensor port on the engine. While it is difficult to access, I'm happy to report that it is possible to install the healer wiring without removing any major parts, and despite the fact that I typically wear 2XL gloves. If you already need to remove the tank and throttle bodies and/or drain the coolant, these steps will make installation easier, but they aren't necessary.

I would add couple tips to his installation process: 1. Rather than compressing the coolant hose with a screwdriver, zip tie it up to the frame to get it completely out of the way - once I figured this out, everything else went smoothly.

2. Feed the speedo healer wiring in from the left side of the bike, align its port with the speed sensor port on the engine, then carefully and patiently ooch the two into each other. This step may take a few minutes, and will definitely be tedious, but it should work.

Also, I ended up storing the healer gadget itself between the battery and the airbox.

I installed this gadget after switching to a 39 tooth rear sprocket, which has been a great change so far: http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/e...ing-sprocket-changes-cb500x-4.html#post864578
You are awesome! I'll be ordering that soon, thank you for the review and install tips. I'm thinking that speedohealer, paired with a 17T front should make a nice combination. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the useful tips for this install. Did anyone who installed a speedo adjuster have to reset the throttle position sensor afterwards? The Honda manual states that if the speed sensor is removed, then the TPS has to be reset and there's a whole other layer of sensor fiddling to deal with. I assume as the sensor wasn't actually removed, only unplugged that this is unnecessary. If someone who has installed a speedohealer or DRD unit can vouch for that, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone is interested, you do not have to reset the throttle position sensor if you install a speedo healer. Its just a plug it in and set it up type item. I ended up having to remove the air box and throttle bodies to get access to the vehicle speed sensor. I was impressed that someone here was able to do it without removing anything, but I couldn't do that. Taking the air box and throttle bodies out, together with the gas tank and under tray is a fair amount of work but it made accessing the sensor a lot easier.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is one of those modifications... I can appreciate it's function... But is the reward worth the effort?? Maybe.. But, I'd be looking for something else to upgrade, and parts in hand, while I had the bike's body panels off and various other parts torn apart. Just saying. :nerd:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this where I install the speedo healer?
Some tool crafting and some patients I was able to install the speedo healer. Speedo has a top speed memory which says 65mph/22mph avg. Rever app for riding which tracks through gps says 64 mph top speed and 21mph avg. Not too shabby. Too bad the bike has tons of extra miles on it that it was never actually rode, because old owner changed sprockets bought the healo but never installed it. Gave it to me with a bin of stock parts of everything he changed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts