Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the market for some rearsets and was curious if anyone had, or knew of, anyone who has the Moth Racing ones. They look decent on price and position, just that I am unsure of quality and if the pegs would be slippery at all. It doesn't look like they are all that grippy....
Rear sets Honda CBR500R,CB500F 2013 Moth Racing | eBay

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those were my thoughts, only thing i am worried about is the brake light....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you're reading the note about the switch, that's probably there for the benefit of the EJC racers. There should be no trouble for us, as a brake light switch comes with the bike. An adapter comes with the kit. Download the manual for good photos and parts lists.
If I had the extra cash, I think I'd be springing for this.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Also, it is downright dangerous to apply only rear brake and mostly we use front brake or both brakes at the same time so if there is no rear brake light switch is not that super important as you will be activating stop light with front brake.
I removed my rear brake switch on my cbr150 before to make it lighter and did not have any problems.
Still it is best to have a rear brake switch of course just look around i am sure you can find a part to fix it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
ooh, those giles look nice! I just had moth rear set installed. It rained this morning and my new boots are pretty slick on wet floors, but they dont slip at all on the pegs.

LL, You've said before Moth is not great quality. I am NOT arguing, and wont say they are the very best looking or super quality... but I dont see anything wrong with them... Why do you say they are not so great? Again, not trying to fight, just want to know your insight.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
ooh, those giles look nice! I just had moth rear set installed. It rained this morning and my new boots are pretty slick on wet floors, but they dont slip at all on the pegs.

LL, You've said before Moth is not great quality. I am NOT arguing, and wont say they are the very best looking or super quality... but I dont see anything wrong with them... Why do you say they are not so great? Again, not trying to fight, just want to know your insight.
Do they negate the brake light switch? Or does it still work?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do they negate the brake light switch? Or does it still work?
brake light works fine, I believe it uses the original switch sorry wasnt watching them work on it, it was too **** hot so I was trying to hide in the semi airconditioned office

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went ahead and ordered the Gilles rear sets in raw aluminum. Next is the r&g rear peg hanger/blanker and a fender elim whenever that comes out. And ofc my Akrapovic when it drop ships

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, it is downright dangerous to apply only rear brake and mostly we use front brake or both brakes at the same time so if there is no rear brake light switch is not that super important as you will be activating stop light with front brake.
I removed my rear brake switch on my cbr150 before to make it lighter and did not have any problems.
Still it is best to have a rear brake switch of course just look around i am sure you can find a part to fix it.
I always double brake and had that same thought so I am not too worried. If I am going slow I just front brake sometimes cause I get lazyyyy

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts

I never said bad for moth rearsets. For 200 usd, they are pretty good value for money in Thailand. But gilles tooling is doing sets for races from year 2000 and they also do rearsets for cbr500 junior championship and they are made in Europe.

Dont get me wrong ddp, for us in Thailand, moth rearset looks like the best option right now, no shipping no taxes, but not the best in this world.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I never said bad for moth rearsets. For 200 usd, they are pretty good value for money in Thailand. But gilles tooling is doing sets for races from year 2000 and they also do rearsets for cbr500 junior championship and they are made in Europe.

Dont get me wrong ddp, for us in Thailand, moth rearset looks like the best option right now, no shipping no taxes, but not the best in this world.
ok thats cool. I mis read and thought you were being polite and trying to NOT say they're bad. I think they are kind of a generic design, and would love to have a more tailored fit unit. For instance there is a little panel bolted on to the right side to protect the rear brake cylinder. There is a matching guard on the left which covers a little bit of the chain cover... totally not necessary, but the left and right match...
Of the Moth parts I have seen, and purchased My only complaint is cosmetic on my adjustable levers... the adjusting "switch" is red and the rest of the lever is silver. Wish the switch was the same color and that is a pretty minor complaint. Now I am hoping they come up with rear foot pegs/exhaust hanger that matches the rear set.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Gilles dont ship to UK direct thats wierd, look amazing and looks great to see black frame now with those huge standard plate pegs!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I'm seriously considering ordering them.

Hey DDP, do you have photos of yours?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
So I went ahead and ordered the Gilles rear sets in raw aluminum. Next is the r&g rear peg hanger/blanker and a fender elim whenever that comes out. And ofc my Akrapovic when it drop ships
Pretty sure our bikes share the same pillion sets/hanger as the cbr250r. They look identical. Just get the ones for the cbr250r

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm seriously considering ordering them.

Hey DDP, do you have photos of yours?
Only in stock fashion... I added the goodies my first day back from a long work trip. I had a few days to get caught up on day to day stuff before a programmer from the states came to work with me so I have been getting ready for him and picked him up from the airport... then mother nature decided its time to rain in Bangkok... my bike is filthy now but Ill try to get some pics tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Only in stock fashion... I added the goodies my first day back from a long work trip. I had a few days to get caught up on day to day stuff before a programmer from the states came to work with me so I have been getting ready for him and picked him up from the airport... then mother nature decided its time to rain in Bangkok... my bike is filthy now but Ill try to get some pics tomorrow after work.
If you could upload multiple angles of the brake side including a shot of all the connections from underneath that would be very helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the moth rear sets on my cbr500r, I had to play alot with the installation, brackets didn't fit that well and the mechanical linkage for the shifter was a pain in the ass to get it to work. The shifter bar that goes from the lever to the turn buckle is way to short. Had to swap some things around to get these rearsets to work. but now they are installed it is far better then the floppy crappy stock pegs.
Also the brake leaver has provisions for the break light switch, so the light works when you apply the rear break.
The price is ok, and it's better then the stock pegs, if you have good wrench skills these rearsets are not that bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the moth rear sets on my cbr500r, I had to play alot with the installation, brackets didn't fit that well and the mechanical linkage for the shifter was a pain in the ass to get it to work. The shifter bar that goes from the lever to the turn buckle is way to short. Had to swap some things around to get these rearsets to work. but now they are installed it is far better then the floppy crappy stock pegs.
Also the brake leaver has provisions for the break light switch, so the light works when you apply the rear break.
The price is ok, and it's better then the stock pegs, if you have good wrench skills these rearsets are not that bad.
Nice can you post up some pics and a follow up review after you've had some more seat time with them.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts