Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been changing my own MC tires for years but they were cruisers and standards with a softer sidewall.
These tires look like they have a shorter & stiffer sidewall.
Are these tires difficult to dismount?

· Registered
743 Posts
If you have a bead breaker and some plastic coated tyre levers it should be ok. My tyre man charges £35 to fit my own tyres balance and recycle the old tyres and he comes to my address. So I don't bother.

· Registered
179 Posts
As stated plastic coated tyre levers prevent you marking the rim, but as long as you get the bead into the center of the rim as you lever the tyre of on the opposite side, it is not difficult to change the tyre. My local garage charges $15 to take the old tyre so finding someone who changes the tyre, balances the wheel and takes the old tyre all for 35 quid is a great price!!

· Registered
627 Posts
Having somebody who comes to your house is a real bonus. Otherwise if you are like me, you have to take the wheel in to a shop 25 miles away and then come back again some days later to pick it up, so we're talking 100 miles of driving and time wasted. That's the main reason I change my own.

· Registered
203 Posts
I changed my first motorcycle tires in the mid-1950s and am about to fit a new rear tire to my '21 Royal Enfield "Interceptor 650". Last year I fitted new tires to my '17 Honda CB-500F.

Yes, the newer tires seem to have stiffer sidewalls but I heat the tires in the summer sun or with a heat lamp in Winter and use plenty of tire lube and the old hand levers. I also have a balancing jig. It's not a job I enjoy, but I'm not about to change (except my tires!).
Ralph

· Registered
2014 CBR500R, 2004 VFR800, 2007 Speed Triple 1050, 2009 Victory Kingpin.
4 Posts
I've changed a couple of sets of tyres on the CBR500 and other bikes, but the shop price vs the aggravation of doing it manually myself isn't worth it to me. Take the wheels off, into the shop and 20 minutes later walk out done for like $30AUD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts