Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was always curious to see if anyone has this done already, I know its been done but not sure if any brackets or mounts are available for the 500r. Any of you mechanically inclined guys have any say or solution?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was always curious to see if anyone has this done already, I know its been done but not sure if any brackets or mounts are available for the 500r. Any of you mechanically inclined guys have any say or solution?
A quick google search turned up a number of universal motorcycle brackets for various GPS systems. Without knowing which GPS I can't really give you a good link... but...maybe look here?

Mounting Kits - Motorcycle GPS mounts - Leader Motorcycle Store

There is also the option of getting a tank bag with a GPS holder in it like this one at revzilla:

MotoCentric Weekender GPS Tank Bag - RevZilla

Personally I use my smartphone as a GPS for most situations so it's stashed away in my pocket and the Sena headset allows me to hear the directions. That way I can keep my eyes on the road :D

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick google search turned up a number of universal motorcycle brackets for various GPS systems. Without knowing which GPS I can't really give you a good link... but...maybe look here?

Mounting Kits - Motorcycle GPS mounts - Leader Motorcycle Store

There is also the option of getting a tank bag with a GPS holder in it like this one at revzilla:

MotoCentric Weekender GPS Tank Bag - RevZilla

Personally I use my smartphone as a GPS for most situations so it's stashed away in my pocket and the Sena headset allows me to hear the directions. That way I can keep my eyes on the road :D
the Sena headset would probably be the safer option but also the more expensive option too. I guess it makes sense for that reason to keep your eyes on the road and hear the directions. But my experience with voice activate control hasnt been pleasant, as there is always a delay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I have a Garmin GPS for bicycle touring and I can use the bicycle handlebar bracket to attach it to my motorbike (see pic). But it's not ideal - 1. the screen is too small 2. it encourages you to not watch the road 3. I have to mount it at a specific angle so it doesn't hit the screen or tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Center mount works well but GPS must be angled up or it's hard to see in sunlight. I used a RAM fork stem base and the GPS does not interfere with steering or key. I have a Garmin NUVI 550 motorcycle GPS. Unfortunately (because it was only $220)this model has been discontinued and the newer Garmin ones are pricey. No Bluetooth with this model.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a Scala system that I connect via Bluetooth to my iPhone. It's awesome, I can be listening to music and then the GPS directions will interrupt when needed. The speakers mount inside your helmet which is great since I hate wearing headphones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@Riceroket

Hey buddy I don't like using headphones. Which scala system you are using and how it can be assembled in the helmet.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
A really cool system is the Rocket Rail available for the CBR250 (google it). And then get on to the guy to make one for the 500 :)

Dave

Reactions: matwright4

·
Registered
111 Posts
One of my local shops sells a motorcycle mount for my iphone 5, but I already have a makeshift solution with a car mount and some all purpose (plastic) ties. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a gps mounted on my last two bike no reason to assume it won't fit on this one. No idea which it is though, garmin I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts