Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Any ideas to lift front end for bearing replacement?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MraRacer#934 
#1 ·
I need to lift my front end, while keeping the forks and triple-tree completely free (bearing replacement). I initially tried a jack under the engine (with rear on paddock stand), but the bike wants to fall to the right, because the only safe jacking point isn't centered. I obviously don't want to put a jack over the exhaust pipes, but I'm not really sure how to go about this now. Any ideas?

#3 ·
only thing that comes to my mind is creating some sort of adapter that would mount into the frame bolts ... if you had frame sliders like the t-rex ones or the ones i have, tha tbolt directly into the frame, you could potentially use those hang it from there / support it there with some sort of lift, but on a stock setup, no idea ... only hanging it with some straps at the frame below the tank comes to mind

#5 ·
I don't think the strip of plywood wood work without putting pressure on the exhaust. I thought about making a jig that would reach around it, but when I stuck my head down there I couldn't really see making that work.

Garage is finished, so I don't have exposed rafters. I could try hanging it from a A-frame ladder, but am not thrilled about that.

Making something that uses the frame mounts is an interesting idea.... I thought about sticking a pipe between the lower ones, then placing it on jack-stands, but I have to look more carefully when the fairings are off to see if that is stable. Maybe extra long bolts used temporarily would work too.

#7 ·
Are you working on the front wheel bearings, or the head bearings?
I have a relatively low ceiling in my garage, and I usually lift at the sump (remove every panel from the bottom, and supporting it with a wooden piece) and raise/balance by a ratchet strap looped where the frame and neck is meeting up to one of the roof beams. I can remove everything from the front, including the whole fork etc...
Wheel bearings are easy. I have my front paddock stand, attach it to either the bottom of the triples, or the fork bottoms.

#10 ·
You can rent an engine hoist for free usually from AutoZone or O'Riley's and use that to hold the bike up. Pitbull makes a great center stand you can buy for a couple hundred bucks.

Reactions: sonicboom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.