Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this article while browsing motorbike stuff

I'm not an advocate of telling people they should wear gear, the way I look at it it's their choice and their life and it's not for me to tell people what they should or shouldn't do when it doesn't affect me personally.

This article and the pics would sure make you think twice about not doing so though:D

Why wearing jeans on a motorcycle is a really bad idea | RideApart RideApart

Personally I think he can wear jeans, but maybe they should have been kevlar jeans;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, this article has made me make the choice of purchasing riding pants. I've been riding around in regular jeans and from this article its a big no no.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, this article has made me make the choice of purchasing riding pants. I've been riding around in regular jeans and from this article its a big no no.
Normal denim Jeans will rip open like toilet paper in a slide and you'll often get a bottom or butt (to you americans) like this poor chap. Leather and Kevlar can take quite alot before they would come apart which makes them perfect for motorcycle gear.

If you like the jeans look you can keep the look but look for ones with kevlar in them, companies like draggin make them and there are other companies too. I have a pair of RST kevlar jeans.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I use ugly pros protective jeans from korea with knee and hip protection.
Good design and can sit for a dinner with them in an upscale restaurant!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Standard jeans (and other trousers) offer zero protection. I came off (many years ago) at abt 10mph wearing a pair of chino's and fortunately the damage to my legs / butt wasn't too ugly. Had I been wearing properly biking gear, I would have walk away without a scratch. Yes they are ugly and not as comfortable as casual but they serve a major purpose.

I'm amazed (in London) how these morons on scooters wear suits / skirts etc they have no idea what they are doing and the risks they are taking.

It's their own lives and can what they want but it's ignorance - plain and simple.

(I know in hot countries it's a different ball game!).

·
Registered
706 Posts
80% of riders where I live will be in shorts and Tshirts. Then we have the tourists on their mopeds speeding around in shorts only, doing top speed and often in a group with no experience of riding or local laws. Recipe for disaster.
For experienced riders, wearing Tshirts and shorts is a sign of confidence I guess. Although where I live it's nearly always sunny and warm and it's no city! Traffic is usually pretty tame. Still....**** happens! It's the chance they seem to want to take.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't get me wrong, if you're in a hot climate wearing full on leathers will be a big mistake of course.

In Greece it's often too hot to wear a helmet, there where cases of riders passing out from the heat (yep should not be riding in that temp I know)!. So local police are understanding of not wearing helmets unless you are on the freeway/motorway.

Risk v Reward - I guess..

·
Registered
582 Posts
^ I doubt Greece is hotter than Thailand. The police here are getting less and less understanding with people who don't wear a helmet - rightly so imo.

I often wear shorts for 2 reasons.

1. I know jeans will make no difference, so I may as well be cooler (temp, not Fonze) and just as unprotected.

2. I'm a big lump, so finding lightweight riding pants that fit me means actually trying a pair on. There are no shops for motorbike gear within 800kms from here, so I have to wait until I visit Bangkok next and get a pair tailor made (there's no way any shop will stock my size).

I do wear a tailor made jacket, a good helmet and gloves in the meantime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the first times I went riding some 5 years ago was on my friend's Honda Shadow 1100, which in hindsight, was -way- too big of a bike to be learning on. Not the horsepower or torque, but that beast was 650 pounds with gas, saddlebags, and gear. I was stopped at an intersection and took a turn too conservatively, didn't turn hard enough and clipped the cement sidebar of the road. Was only going about 20-25 MPH, but it was enough speed to lodge the front wheel against the cement and flip the bike. I made a pretty nasty high-side over the handlebars and landed about five feet down the grass, then skidded another five feet or so. I was -extremely- lucky I went past the bike and didn't land beneath it.

Was wearing pretty good gear at the time, considering I wasn't exactly swimming in money (not that I am now, haha). If my memory serves me correctly, I was rocking a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, Shoei X10 helmet, Olympia mesh gloves, some cheap 'kevlar' jeans, and a set of lace-up boots. The gloves and boots were completely trashed, but the jeans didn't blow through and the jacket was in surprisingly good shape. Helmet looked fine, but for safety sake it was thrown away. Never re-use a crashed helmet!

So I learned a lot of good stuff that day. You can just as easily underestimate a turn as overestimating it. But more surprisingly, I found out even cheap mesh-gear can go a long way to protecting you. Even if you have to throw the gear away after 1 crash, that is still one crash where you are tossing away a piece of clothing instead of skin that you may never regrow, or stitches, or scarring. Yeah it sucks to lose the gear and the money invested, but you can never replace your body.

Reactions: DkD
1 - 9 of 9 Posts