Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon presently is offering $15 K&N oil filters for our bikes for under $10 each. Buy 3 and get free shipping. I did, because I like K&N air and oil filters, have used them for 30 or more years. Top quality media and the filter case has a 17mm hex nut welded on the end for very easy removal. The hex nut is drilled for safety wire, so it isn't necessary to crank down hard on the filter to prevent it from vibrating loose.

KN-204-1 is the correct # for all CB-500s made from 2013 to present.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have a K&N air filter for my Ford Ranger. It wasn't worth the hassle. I switched back to paper. The paper lasts longer, and is cheaper. The cleaning/oiling schedule for the K&N filter is too much, and the oiling kit isn't cheap either. If it made a significant performance improvement it might be worth it, but unless you've measured with a dynamometer before and after odds are it's either making no difference or the difference is negligible unless you've already invested bigger money in aftermarket performance mods. I'm sorry to say it's just another American snake oil IMO. But to each their own.

Thanks anyway for sharing!

That said, after 8 years without replacing the air filter in my 500 I bet it's due. Or at least an affordable bit of peace of mind. It doesn't look that difficult to get to. But I'm still off work so money is very tight. It'll have to wait until I'm back to work and the bills are caught up.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've been using K&N oil filters for decades also. Watch out for counterfeit K&N filters. I've gotten counterfeits from Amazon and EBay. I only order from direct retailers now. I posted about this subject here a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
How to tell a counterfeit? Box, etc, all the same as ever.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Amazon presently is offering $15 K&N oil filters for our bikes for under $10 each. Buy 3 and get free shipping. I did, because I like K&N air and oil filters, have used them for 30 or more years. Top quality media and the filter case has a 17mm hex nut welded on the end for very easy removal. The hex nut is drilled for safety wire, so it isn't necessary to crank down hard on the filter to prevent it from vibrating loose.

KN-204-1 is the correct # for all CB-500s made from 2013 to present.

Ralph
If Honda manufactured it I trust the filters they designed for it are good enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,286 Posts
Yeah I do like the filters with the nut on top for easier servicing.
FWIW though, on our bikes at least, the K&N air filter and all of the cylindrical style filters for that matter make SFA difference for power; though they still have merit for being reusable.
The limitation is actually the size of the inlet, so doesn't matter how much air the filter 'can' flow, its limited by the intake funnel.
Here's a writeup on the topic of modifying the intake to make it a widemouth version:
(page 3 has an alternative version from another member also)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How to tell a counterfeit? Box, etc, all the same as ever.
No, the boxes look perfect. There are tell tale signs on these counterfeits. Things to look for:
-Not wrapped
-Wrong style gasket
-No or wrong serial number
-Wrong number of inlet holes
-Rusty or dirty
Wrong size
-No release nut on top
I've been using their oil filters for decades. I can even tell by the weight in my hand. Better to order from reputable retailers and spend a few dollars more.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts