Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I was bored taking off the warning labels and reflectors on my new bike and decided to try an airbox mod.Not sure if anyone has done this yet but On the 250 you can just remove the cover. It made it sound better and made a quarter of a HP on the dyno. On the 500 you can't leave the cover off since the filter is bolted to it but what I did was just took the snorkle/ elbo off. Pretty simple and it actually makes it sound deeper.......atleast until I get a pipe on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ok kool, when you get the chance could you take the stock 250 pipe and match it up with 500? im curious to see the difference.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I no longer have the stocker for the 250. But that's funny you mentioned that because today when I was in the shop I was thinking humm I wonder if the two fiddy pipe will fit. Measured it and from where it clamps to the mid pipe to where it mounts is a few inches different :( But I may be able to lengthen the mid pipe or just change where my pipe hanger band sits and it may work. I'll look into it more this week. For now i'm going to do a little write up on setting up suspension properly in the next day or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coming from a CBR250R with the airbox mod I'm also keen to try this mod on the 500, at least until I get a decent exhaust.

Any luck getting some photos to post of the process? Did you have to remove the battery to get the airbox lid off? What is the resulting sound like... How much louder, etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Havent noticed a difference on how it runs, I really don't think it's letting any more air in. That bend is the same size as the hole in the cover, just minus the bend. Has anyone ran one lean with a pipe? Thats more air out. This little mod would be the least of my worries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, so I tried the shoebox mod today on my CBR500R. It certainly is more involved than the 250 airbox mod:
1. Remove front seat (2 screws)
2. Unscrew and disconnect the battery leads (2 screws)
3. Unhook and remove battery from rubber retaining strap
4. Unscrew airbox cover screws (5 screws)
5. Remove air filter from inside airbox cover (4 screws)
6. Remove elbow from airbox cover (2 screws)

From memory the 250 was just 2 screws to get the airbox cover off and that's it.

Steps 1-5 are also needed for servicing the air filter, which is a bit of a pain.

And the results? Slightly deeper at idle, but mostly noticable at full throttle with about 5k RPM, then the induction noise is quite nice. But this mod is nowhere near the volume I achieved with the 250 mod :-(

Around town this bike is audibly unnoticeable, to the point where I think safety is an issue ... Definately thinking of bringing forward my plans for a slip-on

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Is it possible to do this without removing the battery leads?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did this just a few hours ago, it's pretty easy. You have to disconnect the battery and remove it the leads are not long enough. One thing I would add is to take the right side plastic off since it makes it easier getting to the lower right side screw.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If my slip will be here Saturday, should I even bother with this mod? If I do it and put on the slip, do you think it will give it even more of a deeper sound?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fuel injection should compensate for any lean condition as it is reading the o2 sensor and will accommodate as needed, same as it would do in a high altitude condition

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought I would try this out. It was pretty easy to do. I covered the screw holes with electrical tape. I have to admit at first, when idling, I wasn't sure anything changed, and I was worried about a difference in fuel consumption. As soon as I rode the bike and got on the throttle a bit I loved the new growl my bike has. And I have seen no noticeable change to my fuel consumption. So all in all I would say I am very happy with this mod. I just remembered that my first ride with this mod was the first time I hit the rev limiter with my bike. I can't say if this had anything to do with it, but it was the most fun ride I have had so far.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts