Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I get my bike next Monday CBR500 white. I was wondering if anyone with theirs has found aftermarket air filters to put in. I checked k&n site they don't have anything on the 500 yet. Would the performance be noticeable?

·
Registered
111 Posts
bike is pretty new not that much available yet performance wise,
i reckon ride the bike first and run the motor in etc before u start worrying about performance. plus not sure how your factory warranty will be affected by a air filter, not worth risking for whole 1hp or so extra. i think if your going to do performance mods and risk your warranty i would want to have atleast a extra 10hp or more to make it worth while to me.
thats just my opion but, if u do find a air filter and put it on your bike let us know how u go, very intrested in how these bikes will respond to mods

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey guys I get my bike next Monday CBR500 white. I was wondering if anyone with theirs has found aftermarket air filters to put in. I checked k&n site they don't have anything on the 500 yet. Would the performance be noticeable?
i can tell u that with any vehicle with an engine (I am very experienced in automotive engine work) the best way to maximize an engine is to maximize intake and outtake if you increase the amount of air coming in and going out of the engine you get more power....:cool::D....thats how turbos work....:D:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
i can tell u that with any vehicle with an engine (I am very experienced in automotive engine work) the best way to maximize an engine is to maximize intake and outtake if you increase the amount of air coming in and going out of the engine you get more power....:cool::D....thats how turbos work....:D:cool:
true, engines are just bir air pumps, but adding extra air requires extra fuel, how safe will a air filter be???
coming from the modified car scene i know that intake and exhuast mods usually require the ecu to be mapped to be considered safe mods, guessing its the same for FI bikes???
also on mx bikes most after maket performance air filters usually see 1-2HP increase in power if at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
bike is pretty new not that much available yet performance wise,
i reckon ride the bike first and run the motor in etc before u start worrying about performance. plus not sure how your factory warranty will be affected by a air filter, not worth risking for whole 1hp or so extra. i think if your going to do performance mods and risk your warranty i would want to have atleast a extra 10hp or more to make it worth while to me.
thats just my opion but, if u do find a air filter and put it on your bike let us know how u go, very intrested in how these bikes will respond to mods
i personally dont think something as simple as a air filter will affect warranty as it will need changed eventually anyway.......its kinda like an oil change or tires....lol.....and it poses no risk of harming the engine as you can run an engine without it...although i dont sugggest it as the filter protects the throttle body and other critical engine parts from dust and debri....as long as it fits correctly and snug it will be fine...as companies like k&n maximize air intake by creating more surface area on the filter....also some kind of other materials instead of paper...most k&n are washable so u dont have to buy them as often but they are expensive.....comparatively

·
Registered
89 Posts
true, engines are just bir air pumps, but adding extra air requires extra fuel, how safe will a air filter be???
coming from the modified car scene i know that intake and exhuast mods usually require the ecu to be mapped to be considered safe mods, guessing its the same for FI bikes???
also on mx bikes most after maket performance air filters usually see 1-2HP increase in power if at all.
and if your talking about the emissions i really dont care about it...i see way way way worse than a bike with more air intake as harming our planet....and actually if you add a cold air intake to a car (1995 honda accord ex) it increases hp(not by much)and fuel economy(not consumption) as long as you dont drive like a mad man.......lol

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
There is always the longevity factor, also.

Most (99+% probably) after market air filters will let more and larger particulates through.

If you want more performance, buy a bike that already has that designed into it.

Just my curmudgeonly opinion.

Edit: Yes we run OEM air filters on all three of the bikes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
more air would actually help emmsions i think as the bike would be running leaner. i love modding vihecles too dont get me wrong, being modding various imports (jap cars) for nearly 10 years, but when it comes to warranty these days u would be very surprised what they will void it for, if they can even remotely build a case that a non original part COULD have cuased any damage, forget it your fitting the bill, once again not worth the trouble for the few hp's a air filter would gain. your probably better off modding the air box, before the filter, they seem to be a big restriction on most modern bikes, air filters are pretty good from factory these days.
once again these are just my opiions i'm not claiming to know better than anyone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
more air would actually help emmsions i think as the bike would be running leaner. i love modding vihecles too dont get me wrong, being modding various imports (jap cars) for nearly 10 years, but when it comes to warranty these days u would be very surprised what they will void it for, if they can even remotely build a case that a non original part COULD have cuased any damage, forget it your fitting the bill, once again not worth the trouble for the few hp's a air filter would gain. your probably better off modding the air box, before the filter, they seem to be a big restriction on most modern bikes, air filters are pretty good from factory these days.
once again these are just my opiions i'm not claiming to know better than anyone.
thats what the forums are about after all.....other peoples opinions so anything anyone says is appreciated reguardless if its positive or negative feedback

·
Registered
89 Posts

Most (99+% probably) after market air filters will let more and larger particulates through.

If you want more performance, buy a bike that already has that designed into it.

K&N High Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes, & Oil Filters for Vehicles

K&N Stock Replacement Air Filters
Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration
Excellent filtration for long engine life
Lifetime air filter with K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty®
Simple drop-in performance
Available for cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, diesels

my favorite filter brand as it is others unfortunately ther is not any available for the 500 yet

·
Registered
89 Posts

K&N High Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes, & Oil Filters for Vehicles

K&N Stock Replacement Air Filters
Designed to increase horsepower and acceleration
Excellent filtration for long engine life
Lifetime air filter with K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty®
Simple drop-in performance
Available for cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATV's, diesels

my favorite filter brand as it is others unfortunately there is not any available for the 500 yet

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
there are no extra harm to the engine if you use a nicer flowing aftermarket air filter and actually, i trust more to a good quality air filter than stock paper one.
check the faq, actually an aftermarket filter filters air efficiently enough in some cases better than a paper one.
K&N Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I used K&N and DNA air filters before and had no problems and recommend them and yes, they add to the performance but not more. To get the full advantage of an aftermarket air filter, you need a good aftermarket exhaust and an ecu - PC 5 , bazzaz etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your input. I was more leaning towards K&N just because its reliable and gives that increase in performance at the same time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The more popular choice with aftermarket filters are K&N and BMC. Both are recognized with motorcycle owners. I would personally go for the K&N and you can go wrong with a reusable filter. The oil is applied on to repel moisture and water which has been proven to work but a pain is waiting for the oil to dry once its applied.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The more popular choice with aftermarket filters are K&N and BMC. Both are recognized with motorcycle owners. I would personally go for the K&N and you can go wrong with a reusable filter. The oil is applied on to repel moisture and water which has been proven to work but a pain is waiting for the oil to dry once its applied.
Some impatient riders I know have 2 filters, so when they need a clean engine air filter, it's ready to use, no need to hold off your riding cause you need to go through the motorcycle engine air filter cleaning process.

Which brand of filter would you say is better, K&N or BMC?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Does the CB500 not have a 'viscous' air filter in it as standard i.e reusable. Of course may not be as good as an K&N or BMC but might be better then the dry ones we usually get?

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts