Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which filter upgrade have you run and why? I see k&n have one but heard bad things? DNA? People are saying that their better than the k&n... aaand go!

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Which filter upgrade have you run and why? I see k&n have one but heard bad things? DNA? People are saying that their better than the k&n... aaand go!
Depends on what you're after.
Pwrformance is pretty much independent of filtering material on the 500. The main restriction are the small airbox entry and the air snorkel.
If you want the best filtering in a reusable filter, go for a sprint filter. They use a dry synthetic mesh, what is easy to clean and filters better than oiled gauze filters.
If you are after performance gain - go for an MWR street filter, and cut the airbox lid as per the instructions. The filter is a decent cleanable foam filter, but the main point is that filter base design allows cutting a larger entry on the airbox lid and thus bring better performance.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
I all ways find the Honda one is better than most, and will do a good job.
Plasma1
Correct, the OEM filter is doing a good job in filtering - in that respect better than the oiled gauze filters. It is a bit more restrictive when close to its life, but still makes a good efficiency filtering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have DNA, wich is a Greece company. In their website they offer a specific CB500R/F (13-18) reusable air filter with this technical info:
"The filtering efficiency is extremely high at 98-99% filtering efficiency (ISO 5011), with 4 layers of DNA Cotton. The flow of this DNA filter is high, 35.00% more than the Honda stock paper filter. DNA filter air flow: 73.00 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5"H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius. Honda stock paper filter air flow : 54.10 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5"H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius".
I`ve also read elsewhere that it offers better specs than K&N although their desing are similar (cylyndrical in both cases). As @Oyabun and @tothezenith among others that have upgraded their bikes in the search of HP, the use of a U shaped reusable unit like the Sprint and MWR, that allows for a bigger rectangle shaped hole for better air Flow wich seems to be the way to go for gain purpose.
I didn't tried this way because I didn't know the MWR ones, and I though that being living in spain and having the restricted Euro air funnels, just replacing this ones with the cheap OEM US non-restricted that I could easily get by my sister who lives in ilinois, and the fact that we would meet in spain in a couple months later, somehow I just went with the DNA for a reusable-higher performance compromise practical upgrade solution. Honestly I can't say I have noticed a gain increase feeling, and haven't dyno the bike, but that's what I've done for a air filter replacement.

·
Registered
546 Posts
At 10,000 miles I switched from the OEM to a K&N, and cleaned and re-oiled it at 50,000 miles. I have used K&Ns before and think they are a fine filter. I put 115,000 miles on a Ninja 650 using mostly a K&N filter and the bike did not smoke or use oil when I sold it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We are making a street legal air filter that is basically the same as running an open airbox. We are going to have dyno test results soon, but combined with our velocity stacks we are anticipating around +4 hp on a stock engine.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I put a K&N filter in my Ford Ranger pickup, and I would say if anything I'm disappointed in it. For the money it certainly didn't improve performance, and my intuition says that it hinders it if anything. In the future, I'll stick to OEM filters. And if that was my experience in a much larger engine I imagine there's even less to write home about for the 500. My advice would be save your money and stick to the OEM replacement.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We are making a street legal air filter that is basically the same as running an open airbox. We are going to have dyno test results soon, but combined with our velocity stacks we are anticipating around +4 hp on a stock engine.
That +4HP is pretty substantial on a 50HP factory engine. With that much increase, do expect the "stock engine" will need an ECU controller added to adjust the bike's air/fuel system, to run properly and more efficiently? Or have you already answered my question as "no", by stating it's a street legal air filter?

·
Registered
103 Posts
That +4HP is pretty substantial on a 50HP factory engine. With that much increase, do expect the "stock engine" will need an ECU controller added to adjust the bike's air/fuel system, to run properly and more efficiently? Or have you already answered my question as "no", by stating it's a street legal air filter?
The drop in gains without tuning will not be 4 hp, you will need a corrected ECU Flash to optimize fueling for the air filter upgrade to be substantial. The ECU flash will also be available for the public, which is also street legal.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
280 Posts
The drop in gains without tuning will not be 4 hp, you will need a corrected ECU Flash to optimize fueling for the air filter upgrade to be substantial. The ECU flash will also be available for the public, which is also street legal.
Thanks for the info. It seems pretty unusual to have an aftermarket product and an ECU flash that will increase HP, and still be street legal. How about sharing your progress for introduction, and dyno charts when they're available.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Umm. Such a change could be Street legal in come countries, but I'd be certainly awry about running an open airbox on the street. 4 Hp would be absolutely fab on the track tho.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I put a K&N filter in my Ford Ranger pickup, and I would say if anything I'm disappointed in it. For the money it certainly didn't improve performance, and my intuition says that it hinders it if anything. In the future, I'll stick to OEM filters. And if that was my experience in a much larger engine I imagine there's even less to write home about for the 500. My advice would be save your money and stick to the OEM replacement.
I'm not looking for or expecting an increase in performance with any air filter.....what I want is good filtration for long engine life. A noticeable change in performance would only occur at maximum power output, and I don't very often ride at that level.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
I'm not looking for or expecting an increase in performance with any air filter.....what I want is good filtration for long engine life. A noticeable change in performance would only occur at maximum power output, and I don't very often ride at that level.
Thing is, that oem filters have very good filtration, their filtration capability doesn't change with use (unlike the oiled gauze for example) and they are pretty much the easiest to handle.
If filtration is your concern, and doesn't need a cleanable filter (e.g. doesn't go on an RTW trip in dusty conditions requiring extra filter changes) I'd stay with the stock filters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts