Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of us have been chatting on this forum for a while now and just wanted to see what age group everybody is in. Also where you guys are from and how much you guys pay for insurance currently. With the upcoming release of the new Honda CBR500 should we expect this to be a high premium motorcycle or...? Can it affect our premium rates depending on where your from?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I don't see it being much more than a CBR250 and it isn't going to be as expensive as the 600rr by a stretch.

I am not 25 yet so insurance is expensive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I could see age being a important factor to affect your insurance premium but not your region or where you live. I highly doubt that it makes any difference. I moved from one area to another and my premium didnt go up or down one bit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Liberty Mutual just quoted me $379 for a 2013 CBR250 and $1200 for CBR600RR. They did not have the CBR500 in their system yet. A Kawasaki Ninja 6R quote was almost as much as the CBR600RR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in south florida and am 35, all state quoted me $336 a year for my CB500F. At first they didnt have it in there system so he quoted me for a CB600 and that was only $360 a year

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm 30 and in WV and pay $105 a year for full coverage. My CBR250R was only $90. Rider Insurance is pretty amazing, but they only serve the Northeast, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I'm 71 and pay ~$40/yr for 250000/500000/100000 liability plus a $1000 medical policy. That's for both bikes. The 223cc CRF actually costs more than the older 250cc NX. The policy is with Foremost, through AARP, and, I am an add-on to my wife's motorcycle policy. I think that lady riders get lower rates because they are safer riders.

Reactions: bambams and Natrix

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just hit the 28 mark and I'm getting hit four approximately $500/year for insurance. Full collision and comprehensive at 250 and 25 deductibles respectively. All the other stuff pretty average, liability, uninsured, under-insured, 5K for medical. I have the typical motorcycle reduced price benefits, safe driver for x number of years, motorcycle safe course taken (PA MSF course), and four years with the same company, Progressive Insurance. The cost of insurance seems pretty reasonable considering I don't have outrageously low coverage on the variables and pretty low deductibles. I didn't go for the total loss coverage for the bike, but I (probably like most owners) am going to try and take care of the bike. Worse comes to worse, there is still collision.

If my memory serves me correctly, I was paying about $250/year for the Ninja 250 for last year's coverage (was a bit higher the year before that and so forth).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jsonder and Starsdawn5 your rates are amazing to me. To get the same coverage my policy quote from Progressive would have been $900 or higher. Maybe its because I live in Texas and indicated that I have 0 years riding experience in the online quote tool. I checked that I am going to complete a Motorcycle Safety Course but the quotes are still coming much higher than what others are indicating in this thread. I really didn't see too drastic of a change in the quotes for a CBR250 or a CBR500.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jsonder and Starsdawn5 your rates are amazing to me. To get the same coverage my policy quote from Progressive would have been $900 or higher. Maybe its because I live in Texas and indicated that I have 0 years riding experience in the online quote tool. I checked that I am going to complete a Motorcycle Safety Course but the quotes are still coming much higher than what others are indicating in this thread. I really didn't see too drastic of a change in the quotes for a CBR250 or a CBR500.
My quote from progressive was 1750 a year! It was crazy expensive through the farm bereau its only 359 that's a huge difference!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Slovakia,, 31Y, clean record
F/R/X
First number is a green card and secound full coverage. Numbers in € for 1y.
Uniqa 107 + 500 ( all discounts)
Alianz 92(partial green card) + 700 (without discount 5-20%)
Kooperativa 69 + 780 (all discounts)
:confused:

For my car 70 + 200, value of my car is twice. Conspiracy

Average income in our country is around 600,-€, Min. 1,941 brutto/hour.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Let me assure you that region matters. In Ontario the rates are much higher (this from discussing with American friends, as well as seeing the posts on this thread), and they force you to insure the bike for the whole year, despite not being able to ride it for 4 to 6 months. :angryfire

I'm 27 and I paid CAD$1600 for my CBR500R in my first year as a motorcyclist (with 10 years driving experience, zero accidents, and only 3 speeding tickets; all long forgotten). The insurance company did not give a discount for the motorcycle safety course either. I have "full coverage", which essentially means the legally required bit, as well as fire and theft and such... I don't know, CarolynR probably has a better idea what my insurance policy covers than I do (despite being in a different country). :eek:

I've been meaning to E-mail my broker to ask about a hypothetical CBR600RR just to break my spirit :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Keith...we live in Texas, Harris County and surrounding counties that border Harris all have extremely high rates. (crime play a huge role in insurance rates) I got mine thru Progressive.com...I got bare minimum but only ride 3 miles to work. Next year I will up the insurance but my basic quote was $525/yr

·
Registered
259 Posts
in Texas the MSC saved me $11.00 / year on my total policy....you probably won't see a huge deduction either ConroeKeith.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm 27 and I paid CAD$1600 for my CBR500R in my first year as a motorcyclist.
Holy Cow! The 600RR couldn't possibly cost much more...

Right now I pay $0.00. I'm not required to have insurance on my bike. I wouldn't mind insuring it against theft, damage, etc., but right now don't have the money.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Holy Cow! The 600RR couldn't possibly cost much more...
Clearly you are not familiar with insurance rates in Canada. ;) I'm guessing I'd probably have to pay $2500-3000/year for a [new?] 600RR.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts