Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gone the other way? I currently own a 2017 Africa Twin DCT but recently I suffered a knee injury and having a difficult time with the bikes weight and height. I am 5'7" and can get both toes on the ground or flat foot on the left with my right foot on the peg. I am not much of an off road rider other than dirt roads and fire roads. No hard core off roads. I sat on a 2019 CB500X at a dealer and it seems to fit me better and I can manage it's weight. I do like to go on long rides and that usually involves highway riding to get to where I am going. What I am worried about is will I miss the HP?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a 500F may be more your size? Or is that going to be similar to the Africa Twin in terms of leg position while riding?

You'll be cutting your power in half. What are the normal highway speeds around you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most highways are 100KM/hr but everyone does 120KM. I am no speed freak but I do like to keep up with traffic. What's the 500 like when loaded down with gear? (camping/clothing etc...)

·
Registered
443 Posts
The 500 will do the speeds you mentioned fine with stock gearing. However many members here have opted to change to slightly taller gearing if motorway speeds are their normal environment. As to loading it for touring/camping no problem. Here is a photo of my bike ready to tour.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that bit of info about the taller gearing and the pic. Nice bike! Good to know it can handle gear. How do you like it for touring?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes I like it for sport-touring. Not all on this forum would agree, but plenty of people here do tour on it. I am not a fan of motorways in general, opting for small backroads when possible. It is nimble & fun in my opinion. I tend to ride 6-7 hours at a go as a maximum ride time. The bike is comfortable for me & never feels cumbersome. As you might note from the prior photo I do not have any racks mounted. The panniers are from SW-Motech. Blaze panniers. They fit across the pillion & have metal stays attached to the passenger foot peg mounts which keep the bags from moving. The rest of the gear is placed on the pillion & affixed with bungees. Photo below might give a better view.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm guessing you'll probably miss the torque more than the HP.

Having said that, the 500X is capable of just about anything the AT is on public roads. And, IMO, the 500X is a superior machine for light off-roading duty due to its much lighter weight.

I don't think there's any need to change the gearing for travel including 120kph. You have options if you want but my recollection was that the 500 was more than comfortable at that -- and higher -- speeds.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I went from a CBR500R to a VFR800. I think you will miss the HP and also might not like shifting so often on the 500, especially in turns.

The only way to tell is a good test drive. Will the dealer let you take it out? If not, find another 500 to drive.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
On our freeways in Texas, the highest posted speed limit is 85 mph (135 kph). It'll do that all day long with no problem and still have passing power to get around. I sustain speeds in excess of 100 mph (160 kph) regularly here. Some people will tell you that this bike shouldn't be put to those paces, but I have 50,000 km on the odo and I've been riding her like that since just after the break in. Solid engine design. I should say that I did go up one tooth on the front sprocket as mentioned above and I highly recommend it for comfort.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing you'll probably miss the torque more than the HP.

Having said that, the 500X is capable of just about anything the AT is on public roads. And, IMO, the 500X is a superior machine for light off-roading duty due to its much lighter weight.

I don't think there's any need to change the gearing for travel including 120kph. You have options if you want but my recollection was that the 500 was more than comfortable at that -- and higher -- speeds.

The torque could be an issue, but hoping I won't miss it that much due to the fact that the CB500 weights less than the Africa Twin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A two tooth upgrade to a 17T counter-shaft sprocket will drop revs by about 600 at 60 mph and make the bike sound less "busy" and you'll get a bit better mileage. My '17 has been ridden moderately and delivers 75 mpg (US gallons).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A two tooth upgrade to a 17T counter-shaft sprocket will drop revs by about 600 at 60 mph and make the bike sound less "busy" and you'll get a bit better mileage. My '17 has been ridden moderately and delivers 75 mpg (US gallons).
How did the install go for you?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where are you riding at? I'm up North of Austin.

You're really managing 75mpg!? That's incredible

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went up one tooth on front sprocket to get my kms/hr accurate (using GPS), and I am getting exactly 79.6 mpg (imperial gallon...(4.54 L/G)) on a 20 deg. C day, at speeds of 90 to 100 km/h.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find the 500 series to be described the best thusly. Is it important for you to be able to accelerate faster than 98% of cars on the road? Get the 500. Is it important for you to be able to accelerate faster than many motorcycles on the road? Look elsewhere. As for highway speeds, laden or otherwise, it just won't be a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts