Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I've read a lot on here about people putting on a full exhaust. Well I really want to go with the Leo Vance full exhaust however I called the dealer I bought my bike from and he said if I add a full exhaust added I would have to get the bike tuned or it would cause the bike to run poorly and could possibly damage it. Is there any truth to his claims? I really love the way the full system sounds and would love to add a few extra hp. So what do Yall think I should do? And im open to any other better suggestions thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello all I've read a lot on here about people putting on a full exhaust. Well I really want to go with the Leo Vance full exhaust however I called the dealer I bought my bike from and he said if I add a full exhaust added I would have to get the bike tuned or it would cause the bike to run poorly and could possibly damage it. Is there any truth to his claims? I really love the way the full system sounds and would love to add a few extra hp. So what do Yall think I should do? And im open to any other better suggestions thanks
Your bikes computer is set up for the stock exhaust. If you change the whole exhaust you COULD make the bike run worse than it was before. Really if you are going to put a full exhaust system on you should really take it to someone who could tune it and change the info on the computer to show you have a new exhaust fitted.
It's really how power commanders work, if you change the air filter to a K & N and change the exhaust you can type that in to the commander and it will adjust the on board computer to show the changes.

You could get lucky and your bike may run better or at least no worse than before but there's no saying it will and you might just have thrown quite a lot of money down the drain just to make your bike perform worse than it did before.

If you're making the change for the noise and look then you're probably just better off with a slip on as that will not require any changes to the on-board computer. If you want your bike to perform better then you will need the full exhaust and tuning to be sure

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
You do not need necessarily a tuning to put a full system pipe.
Most of them are not by passing the o2 sensor or cat for cbr500.
So you put it and get up to 10 percent increase in performance.
But you need a dyno test for an aftermarket ecu like power commander or juice box.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do not need necessarily a tuning to put a full system pipe.
Most of them are not by passing the o2 sensor or cat for cbr500.
So you put it and get up to 10 percent increase in performance.
But you need a dyno test for an aftermarket ecu like power commander or juice box.
So as long as I don't bypass the o2 or the cat my computer can calculate for the change, and I could get up to a 10% increase in power?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Yes you can according to my experience and dyno tests.
But 10 percent is pretty optimistic as dynoes so far gives around 3 hp more which is like 7 percent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only dyno Ive seen gave a 1hp gain with the full exhaust, loserlazer are you able to show us a link where 3hp has been achieved?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would still be happy with 3hp! But I would also love to see the dyno sheet. Thanks for all the advice so far. What do Yall think about the Leo Vince gp corsa full exhaust?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have talk to a couple riders about the full exhaust system on the CBr500r. they told me that since your putting on a full exhaust system rather than just a slip on would create different flow factors for the the bike and in some case you might even notice a change in expected mpgs because its using for fuel for the flow. Is this the same case for the CBR500 as well?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very noticeable gain in the bottom to mid and transitioning into the higher gears with a nice exhaust note.
Alright! I think ill definitely go with the full exhaust then! Now I'm super excited lol I might put it on my credit card just because I don't want to have to wait to save up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Can I see some actual charts, or any sorts of factual information, to back up anything in this thread? I'm not going to go out and drop hundreds of dollars on word of mouth. I'm deciding between a slip on and a full system.

Reactions: Chriso

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
i sent an email about it to yoshi and leo vince and they never turned back to me but i think yoshi keeps the cat but loe vince do not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I have had my CBR500R for two weeks now and im looking into an exhaust.

I didnt really get too much information from the above thread.

Does anyone have any hard information on the advantages of a full system as opposed to a slip on and any good places to buy an exhaust from in Sydney Australia apart from ebay.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi All,

I have had my CBR500R for two weeks now and im looking into an exhaust.

I didnt really get too much information from the above thread.

Does anyone have any hard information on the advantages of a full system as opposed to a slip on and any good places to buy an exhaust from in Sydney Australia apart from ebay.
Should have some good comparisons soon. I've gone the TBR slip on, DNA air filter, and juice box pro. Dyno test/tune next week.

Matt/Carlos on here is going full yoshi, and PCV. I'm sure he'll post dyno results as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should have some good comparisons soon. I've gone the TBR slip on, DNA air filter, and juice box pro. Dyno test/tune next week.

Matt/Carlos on here is going full yoshi, and PCV. I'm sure he'll post dyno results as well.
Nice work im keen to find out the results and hear the difference. Definitely keep us posted.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not being a troll guys but we're talking about a 500cc bike here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Not being a troll guys but we're talking about a 500cc bike here.
Over on your side of the world I hear licensing is different. If you're a noob, you might only be allowed a 500cc bike. If that's the case and you have money to burn, why not try to get as much out of it as you can?

When I was 15, my best friend got a Honda moped that did 25 mph. He was so proud of it since it was much faster than my bicycle. But, when I got my moped that went 35 mph, he tried all he could to get that thing to go faster (and only got it up to 30 mph).

It was just a silly moped, but it was all that we had...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts