Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sold some stuff on ebay to justify such an unnecessary, but awesome luxury. These would be unreasonably expensive if they were mass produced commercially, but since they come from a small machine shop in California the price actually seems about right.

The PM-50 replaces the front clamp on the clutch lever, so no extra real estate is needed on the bar itself. The PM-390S only needs about 5mm between the grip and switch-pod, and the grip was pretty easy to manipulate to make the necessary space. I added blue loctite to the little screws on the thumbswitch.

The model is my 2014 CBR500r. I don't have the bike fully back together yet, but the switches are mounted and wires run.

Fitment note: Initial measurements show a slight possibility the barswitch housing MIGHT make slight contact with the windshield (Powerbronze) at full right lock. UPDATE: bike is now off the lift, and there is MORE clearance between the PM-50 and the windshield at full right lock than I thought, with no chance of interference. :smile:

Front view: PM-50 (double barswitch - $80) & PM-390S (Thumbswitch - $100)

Here's the back of the switches (the barswitch is open in back). I used shrink-wrap, tubing, and zip-ties to clean it up. I MAY also switch to flag connectors on the barswitch, and shoot some silicon in there to seal it.

The left switch is currently wired as a trigger for my PDM-60 power distribution thingy. Initially I'm going to program it to switch aux power to GPS/USB supplies. The right switch is for the future, but I'd like to have it control a dash-cam system. Alternatively I may use it to turn my aux lights off, but I really don't need to turn them off. I guess I'm just a control freak, LOL.

The Thumbswitch comes with a momentary switch that I wired directly to my garage door opener (GDO). It has a very firm, satisfying, positive click to it. I didn't need to do this, but I wanted to save space under my pillion seat by ditching the DIY relay box I had previously wired to my GDO. This allowed me to also relocate the GDO to a spot that I wouldn't otherwise utilize (held in place with velcro. The picture doesn't show it, but there is a quick connect on the GDO, so I can remove it easily and throw it in my pocket).

·
Registered
850 Posts
Nice work. I especially like the garage door opener connection to the thumbswitch. I would love to know how you wired the switch to the motherboard of the opener.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work. I especially like the garage door opener connection to the thumbswitch. I would love to know how you wired the switch to the motherboard of the opener.
Thanks. I soldered a wire to each side of the switch on the GDO, and the switch completed the circuit, just as if you pressed the button on the GDO itself. I had done this previously when I used an Autoswitch on a previous bike, and then the DIY relay on this one, so the hardest part was done years before.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks. I soldered a wire to each side of the switch on the GDO, and the switch completed the circuit, just as if you pressed the button on the GDO itself. I had done this previously when I used an Autoswitch on a previous bike, and then the DIY relay on this one, so the hardest part was done years before.
Thanks. That was pretty much what i intend to do also. I like the idea of the quick disconnects to enable easy removal of the remote as needed. I finally ordered my switch and I already have wire so this project should happen next weekend. :smile:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do you think this item is waterproof and would make it through the rain? Looks like you have some exposed parts that might get water in there. Are you concerned at all?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Do you think this item is waterproof and would make it through the rain? Looks like you have some exposed parts that might get water in there. Are you concerned at all?
Good question. I'm not really concerned because I'll be shooting some silicon in there to seal it.

EDIT: I just sealed it up with hot glue, which is what I had on hand.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the momentary thumb switch, could've saved me hassles back when i installed my rear view camera and hacked into the oem switch unit to mount my own button
I'm going to have to adjust it a touch by rotating it. I went on a test ride today and the clutch lever hits it. I can still be driven no problem, as the clutch disengages before it hits, but it's a little annoying.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dig the garage door opener idea! I was so inspired by your post that I installed one last night. Hardwired a long lead to the circuit board and installed momentary switch in a remote location. Kudos Headshrink!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have Phase 1 of the garage door opener (GDO) mod completed - connecting the button momentary switch to the Chamberlain remote with spade-type connectors in between. Phase 2 is installation on the bike which I will do tomorrow since I want to pick up a K&N filter today, and if the seat is going to come off for running the GDO wiring, the filter install will happen at the same time. Excited at not having the dumb remote in my pocket anymore.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You guys need some Z-Wave in your life. Add some home automation, let your garage open for you ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
I was always afraid I'd drop the bike one day while fumbling for the remote.
In my case I was always afraid I'd accidentally press the button with my forearm as I was leaving the cul-de-sac thereby opening the garage door unknowlingly. Here is a picture of the switch during the installation before cleaning up. What looks like a grease sopt above the switch is a bit of threadlocker that I had put on the back of the switch, which came with a lock washer anyway.

And here is the rats nest under the seat.

I think I will be installing a busbar on my battery's terminals to reduce some of the clutter. Any recommendations on busbar? This is what I am thinking of getting.

Reactions: newbie500r

·
Registered
122 Posts
You guys need some Z-Wave in your life. Add some home automation, let your garage open for you ;)
It's funny you bring that up... I do have just that. And after fussing with different setups I just want to push a button in this case. Lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. I'm going to have to look into that thumb button. I've used the small FOB style garage door openers for previous mods on bikes. I currently have one wired to my turn signal cancel on my Victory so when I push that in, it activates it. On my 500F, I'm thinking of placing a small button like that in the black fairing cover by the fork...but on the bars would be nice as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Resurrecting this old thread to show the new PMR switches on my new-to-me bike, a 2014 Interceptor/VFR800 Deluxe!

Left = garage door - (momentary switch)

Center = LED driving lights - (SPST)

Right = Aux (ground trigger for PDM60 power distribution module) - (SPST)

Note: Trac Control switch is relocated to mounting tab at bottom of barswitch.

A peek at the mounting tab PMR Components designed for the Traction Control switch. The genius is in the simplicity. The switch is relocated from the top of the bar, to the bottom, and looks better too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts