Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ridden a bike with ABS?
I've felt the ABS kick in while driving a car, but just curious as to how it feels when riding a bike. The owners manual states that the brake lever may recoil when ABS kicks in, also curious to know how bad of a "recoil" this is. I would hate to be trying to stop and have the brake lever blow my hand off of it.
My wife wants me to get the ADS version of the bike, but I'd like to know what others think or feel about it after using it.

Also was hoping for the white version, but right now they only show red for the ABS version. Hoping this changes as the bike gets closed to release.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ABS systems on motorcycles work differently than on cars. motorcycle brake system have two separate controls one for the front and one for the rear. And the recoil you get is slightly less than a car. The way it works on a bike is when it sense traction loss on the front wheel it sends more pressure to the rear brakes than the front. this is done so then your tires dont lock up causing you to lose control and potentially falling off. you will come to a delayed stop rather than locking up and sliding. this feature would be beneficial to new riders.

As for the color of the honda CBR500R ABS, unfortunately they only offer it red at this time. Another cheap solution to change the bi8ke color and to protect the paint is to wrap it with vinyl like another member on this forum. Its not a bad idea considering what it offers for the price rather than a paint job.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Is this recent information re: only red ABS? I ordered the HRC ABS in January and was told they are available....at least here in Canada. I double checked this a couple weeks back with my Powerhouse as I read on the main Honda sight that ABS is only available in red at this time. The GM assured me ABS is arriving in HRC as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have Hondas abs on my cbr250 and during the winter it has been triggered a couple of times when on ice. It feels very light when it goes off nothing like a car, it is more "was that it" rather than shock and horror.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Scisorro,

What much of you have said re ABS is totally wrong. I have a CBR250R with ABS.

ABS systems on motorcycles work differently than on cars. motorcycle brake system have two separate controls one for the front and one for the rear.
It is not different, it is just like a car. Sensors on each wheel which detect a lack of movement.

And the recoil you get is slightly less than a car.
This is maybe true: the recoil is the same feeling - a slight pulsing of the lever (front abs) or peddle (rear abs). It is pretty soft. Personally Ive never been freaked out by the pulsing of my car's ABS.

The way it works on a bike is when it sense traction loss on the front wheel it sends more pressure to the rear brakes than the front. this is done so then your tires dont lock up causing you to lose control and potentially falling off.
No is does not. Each sensor works for that wheel. If that wheel stops moving, but the bike is still moving (as judged by speedometer readings/throttle/engine speed/clutch etc etc), then the abs for that wheel relaxes and reapplies the brake to that wheel. It does not apply more pressure to the other wheel. That would be seriously messed up on a bike because of they way that they handle: they are a two wheeler, not 4 like a car. Applying more brake to a wheel will make the bike behave very differently, and probably lay you down or run wide etc etc...not good.

You might be confused with the "combined" ABS that Honda has. The rear brake peddle is linked to the front brake as well. When you apply the rear brake it ALWAYS activates one pot on the front brake caliper, to give you a little touch of front brake. Nothing serious, but it works.

The front brake lever ONLY activates the front brake.

you will come to a delayed stop rather than locking up and sliding. this feature would be beneficial to new riders.
Delayed stop? Lets be clear: It will be a much shorter stop with ABS than if you had locked it up because you did a crappy job of braking and also didn't have abs.

It might be a little bit of a longer stop compared to if you braked to the point immediately before lock up occurs because you can use your brakes properly. So yes, newbie "grabbing a fist full of the front brake" it is good for them for sure.

Having said that, if the lock up occurred because there was an unexpected traction change (eg. dust/oil on the road which you didn't see), then abs will save your butt. Similarly, in an emergency situation, when you might not be doing the best braking you are capable of, then again abs will help in preventing a lock up.

ABS is no substitute for proper braking technique, and will have absolutely no impact on braking distances if you brake properly. It is not a substitute. And if you over brake it will marginally extend stopping distances compared to perfect braking technique.

It will, however, save your butt in less than ideal situations, and only then if you are braking in a relatively straight line. If you over brake when leaned over/turning then all bets are off. You are screwed. Here it is not like a car. Becasue a car has 4 wheels, you can still steer while braking with the ABS going nuts. In fact you are supposed to continue steering to avoid the accident. On a bike, if you try to steer while braking hard with or without ABS you will go down.

ABS is a safety feature that I plan to never need or even activate (except when practicing emergency braking and getting a feel for the lock up point) because I brake properly and am aware of my environment. If I do that, then it will be absolutely no different to not having ABS. But if I do screw up or have an unfortunate situation forced upon me, then it will help me out of a serious jam. ABS is a no brainer. Unless you wanna do stoppies...well, then you're all on your own :rolleyes:.

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Honda makes two different abs systems 1)C- ABS 2)linked ABS

The cbr250 has the C-ABS whereas the cbr 500 has the linked. I've read up on the difference between the 2. The combined works more as a team, one break triggering the other whereas on the linked they are more independent. Wld be great if a gear head can better explain the linked system.....pls???? ;) I'd be very thankful.

This will be my third bike with ABS and honestly I do not recollect ever triggering it. I practice riding with a safe cushion, always having an "out", gearing down preparing to stop, proper positioning always on the road or in stop and go traffic. ABS is a tool which does not replace safe riding habits.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Honda makes two different abs systems 1)C- ABS 2)linked ABS

The cbr250 has the C-ABS whereas the cbr 500 has the linked. I've read up on the difference between the 2. The combined works more as a team, one break triggering the other whereas on the linked they are more independent. Wld be great if a gear head can better explain the linked system.....pls???? ;) I'd be very thankful.

This will be my third bike with ABS and honestly I do not recollect ever triggering it. I practice riding with a safe cushion, always having an "out", gearing down preparing to stop, proper positioning always on the road or in stop and go traffic. ABS is a tool which does not replace safe riding habits.
Yeah, I dont think the linking is about the ABS as such, its just that the "linking" is only available on bikes with ABS and its a package and so they combine the two in marketing "C-ABS" or "Linked-ABS"...can't have one without the other. As a side benefit, it seems that the calipers are of better quality when you buy the ABS version...

Yes, Honda does offer two types of "linked" brakes.

The C is as I described in the above post (rear peddle triggers 1 pot on the front caliper a little bit, but the the front lever does not affect the rear at all).

"Linked" is where the rear brake peddle triggers the front caliper a little (just like C) but the front lever also triggers the rear caliper a little.

The ABS in each wheel don't active each other though.

Reactions: vroom_vroom

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
So, in your opinion, which system do you prefer? Is it "same same, but different"? The linked seems to be a more complete system.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Im kinda stuck really. I think I'd prefer no linking at all, now I have a few miles under my belt. I really would prefer that the peddle does the rear and the lever does the front...and I balance/choose. I don't want to touch the back and have the front brake be applied or vice versa. There are times when you dont want to apply any of the other brake. I should point out though that it's only a small application, not an equal application, of the alternative brake.

I can see that it is a great idea for early days riding...but with some experience...

I still would want ABS as that final measure should things go wrong.

Having said the above, I have never felt like I have any issues on the CBR250R with C-ABS that I have!

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thx Dave. I learned to ride on a non abs bike so I have experienced both. Appreciate your explaination. See you on the 250 forum ;) (I'm L2R)

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Dave, Thank for all the info. I think I'll go for the ABS version, but hope to never have to use it.
I agree. It's $500 worth of "if it only works once, it's more than paid for itself" :)

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
i think im going to spend the extra $500 and go for the ABS...
I wanted the black model but no abs on that one.. oh well, cant have everything in life

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Anyone not sure about getting ABS or not should definitely get them. If you have to ask, you need them. Only an expert or someone training to become one would benefit from not having ABS, linked or not. If you find it expensive you should think about it hard. If it’s your first bike you will need it.

Avoid this (info on 01:00):

Reactions: appliance500

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sending the brake power to another wheel after ABS kicked in wouldn't make sense since then the chance that it will trigger the other ABS increases.
If you're on a slippery road and apply the rear brakes too much and the ABS kicks in as it should it would be dangerous if the system sends the braking force to the front wheel.

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a quick reply:

I have the tri color ABS. VroomVRoom was in error when he stated that the 500R ABS is linked... it is not. Which I like better myself. Anyway from using the bike and getting it out and testing it I have activated the ABS on the rear. The peddle sort of pops under your foot letting you know that you have activated it.

I like the ABS, it has been some time since being on a bike and getting into it again has been great. I spend time working on quick stops as part of my regular riding. At this point I ride it as a toy so I make sure to get it out and run it through some paces once in awhile. I am hoping to try and measure my stopping distance but suffice it to say that I think it is pretty good. From 50kmh I have had it stopped very quick and from 100kmh I was a little bit more tentative but will keep working on it. And either way I have a clear reference based on speed and braking how to factor my stopping distances.

I squeezed hard on the rears on purpose to activate the ABS as part of the getting to know the bike. I was working 1/1 with a pro rider at the time but it is good to know where to expect it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm confused now!

My old bike had combined ABS - rear combined with one pot on the front.
My VFR had linked brakes - front combined with rear (controlled by level of torque on front brake)
My 500x has standard ABS (no C before it) and I was under the impression it wasn't combined or linked in any way. I'm sure it isn't to be honest.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm confused now!

My old bike had combined ABS - rear combined with one pot on the front.
My VFR had linked brakes - front combined with rear (controlled by level of torque on front brake)
My 500x has standard ABS (no C before it) and I was under the impression it wasn't combined or linked in any way. I'm sure it isn't to be honest.
On the 500's the brakes are not linked or combined in any way at all. If they were, then there would need to be two hoses going in to one of both of the calipers, eg, on the 250R the front was "combined" with the rear and the front had two lines going into the front caliper - see my post above).

I actually prefer this: I will apply the brake I want to thanks very much.

Dave

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
VroomVRoom was in error when he stated that the 500R ABS is linked... it is not.
Hehe, yeah when Vroom and I had this coversation it was a very long time ago and no one really had the bikes and/or reviews said nothing about the nature of the brakes.

Not linked or combined in any way.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts