Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So picked up my bike about 3 days ago now and I’m absolutely loving it, however every time I use the rear brake I’m feeling a pulsing sensation that’s quite rapid, I originally brushed it off as just vibration from the wheel

However come an hour ago and I perform my first ever emergency brake on something that obviously isn’t a 125 and oh boy was it scary, however due to not being used to e braking on a bigger bike yet I did it the way I was told for the 125 and not how I was told for anything bigger I used the rear brake after the front and suddenly the whole rear brake started making a banging noise sort of like a click but like metal banging and the whole lever slamming the bottom of my foot

Giving it further investigation seems like the brake constantly pulses no matter how lightly it’s touched but under 5MPH with the ABS light on? Absolutely nothing, performs like a normal brake.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does the ABS light always come on when you use the rear brake in normal stops?

If so, any of several problems with the rear wheel speed sensor or its wiring/connectors can cause the sensor to not generate a speed signal. Which the ABS would interpret as "rear wheel locked up", engage fully.

It's normal for car and bike ABS to not engage below a low road speed.

If your bike is still under warranty, just get it back to the Honda dealer immediately to be fixed!

Reactions: bambams

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Rear wheel being out of alignment can cause such thing. If the wheel doesn't run parallel in the swingarm, the edges of the wave disc can cause a pulsation in brake feel. This is different than the ABS feeling.
Get it to a honda service to be looked at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ABS light never comes on for the rear no matter how hard I slam it on, I’ve tested it a few times to be sure

Does the ABS light always come on when you use the rear brake in normal stops?

If so, any of several problems with the rear wheel speed sensor or its wiring/connectors can cause the sensor to not generate a speed signal. Which the ABS would interpret as "rear wheel locked up", engage fully.

It's normal for car and bike ABS to not engage below a low road speed.

If your bike is still under warranty, just get it back to the Honda dealer immediately to be fixed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tbh the alignment looks to be near perfect, if the brake is slammed on hard enough it will sometimes feel like the bone of my toe has a rounded object being pushed into it which is strange.

Rear wheel being out of alignment can cause such thing. If the wheel doesn't run parallel in the swingarm, the edges of the wave disc can cause a pulsation in brake feel. This is different than the ABS feeling.
Get it to a honda service to be looked at.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Tbh the alignment looks to be near perfect, if the brake is slammed on hard enough it will sometimes feel like the bone of my toe has a rounded object being pushed into it which is strange.
How many kms you have on that bike? I've serviced once an 500x with about 60k km, which had stuck sliders and the inside of the rear brake disc had a distinctive shoulder. Got rid of that after I've installed the new pads and found this pulsating feeling- as the disc otherwise was above minimum thickness. It had cured the issue

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,197 Posts
I think the "metal banging" you feel through the bike is caused by the wheel on the verge of locking causing the chain to tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen. That part is probably normal.

Similarly, when ABS is pulsing and modulating the brake pressure you're going to feel feedback through the pedal.

I'm confused by the description of the ABS light; in your OP you say "...seems like the brake constantly pulses no matter how lightly it’s touched but under 5MPH with the ABS light on..." but later say "...ABS light never comes on for the rear no matter how hard I slam it on, I’ve tested it a few times to be sure..."

If you're not sure if the ABS system is operating normally, take it to a dealer and have it checked out. No sense guessing about a safety system.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Of course, the rear brake should never be used very hard. It locks very easily on bikes. You can only ever apply a bit of pressure. Remember, the front brake does the majority of the stopping so rely mostly on the front. Adding some rear brake can improve your stopping distance by a tiny bit, but it's almost negligible unless you're in an emergency where every foot counts.

The way I was taught (Gold Wing club) was to ease on the rear to bring the nose down/compress the front suspension and then apply the front, but I normally just go after the front.

Practice makes perfect. Find yourself a safe environment with good quality pavement/traction and little traffic and play around.

That said, I agree with the others that you should take it to the dealership ASAP to make sure it's not a mechanical problem. Do that before you practice of course. :spin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts