Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well, since I'm on an unimaginative and formulaic thread-starting roll, I guess I'll get a rearsets thread going for those with info or desires relating to new rearsets.

Got some cash burning a hole in your pocket? I believe these are the rearsets used on the 500s in the European Junior Cup racing series.

gilles.tooling - Products - rearset FXR aluminium-raw (FXR-H04-N) - description

Hopefully Woodcraft and Tyga will come up with some more-affordable options soon. The Gilles raw aluminum are priced similarly to the Woodcrafts for the 250R, but get them in black and you're almost up to 500 bucks!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I'm really hoping Tyga comes out with a black set.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are eBay US and UK links to Moth Racing rearsets. Some Ninjette riders have good things to say about them. I wish they looked more black. I'll also put a link to Moth's outlet, Club571. I think they basically reverse engineer Sato Racing rearsets, but since Sato (SATO RACING - Rear Sets, Frame Sliders, Axle Sliders, Carbon Parts and more for your sportbike) doesn't show having them for the 500 yet, Moth might have made some adjustments to the 250 sets on their own.

Rear Sets Honda CBR500R CB500F 2013 Moth Racing | eBay

Rear sets Honda CBR500R,CB500F 2013 Moth Racing | eBay

http://www.club517superbike.com/customize-CBR500R-94894-1.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
i'm very tempted by the moth rearsets, they seem reasonably priced. i have moth rearsetes on my ninja 250 that i have become very comfortable with. i've already miss-shifted a handful of times on the stock rearsets. plus the stockers are hideous. time to save up for some rearsets.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See above. Those are on the EJC bikes.
It looks, however, like that's just the right side. Given the cost, I haven't investigated further.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Gilles look amazing even have install manual now on their site, assume price is for both sides to, not usually just one side.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gilles look amazing even have install manual now on their site, assume price is for both sides to, not usually just one side.
Yeah, it would be unusual to just have one side, but the info on the main page was deceptively lacking. In the nice manual (need to brush up on my German) all is there. Really nice looking rearsets, and you can set up for GP shifting, too.
I reckon I know what I want for Christmas :)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Yeah, it would be unusual to just have one side, but the info on the main page was deceptively lacking. In the nice manual (need to brush up on my German) all is there. Really nice looking rearsets, and you can set up for GP shifting, too.
I reckon I know what I want for Christmas :)
Not best website for finding info, manual has english to under german:)
Same here get rid of the big silver bit to on standard ones.

Id get black:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Are there any advantages to the Moth set over stock? Different peg/lever positions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
not sure a real advantage for street use, but a more agressive position. if you compare the two you can see that the peg positions are much further backwards. Depending on the design, the gear order is sometimes reversed (1 up, 5 down).
moth:

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
not sure a real advantage for street use, but a more agressive position. if you compare the two you can see that the peg positions are much further backwards. Depending on the design, the gear order is sometimes reversed (1 up, 5 down).
moth:
Wait? Reversed?
So if I push upwards it would shift down?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait? Reversed?
So if I push upwards it would shift down?

Yeah, you see it sometimes in like the moto-gp... just depends where the pivot is. I couldn't find a pic to describe it, so please ignore the poor quality, but i put one together real quick.

Just comes down to personal preference, like reverse controls i Halo / flight sims, some people like to pull the stick down to go up, others push the stick up to go up.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
yep, quicker and more positive to bang through the gears by pressing down while accelerating apparently. Not raced a bike so i cant really comment, but it't called 'gp shift'.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Yeah, you see it sometimes in like the moto-gp... just depends where the pivot is. I couldn't find a pic to describe it, so please ignore the poor quality, but i put one together real quick.

Just comes down to personal preference, like reverse controls i Halo / flight sims, some people like to pull the stick down to go up, others push the stick up to go up.
From what I can see it looks like the shifting pattern hasn't been changed.

I have sent Moth Racing a message asking about it however.

Also it's available in gold, black, silver, and red.
What do you guys reckon would look best on a red F. Red or black rear sets?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You might be able to get GP shift on that Moth set by reversing the rod positions and perhaps flipping the "rocker" (for lack of a better term atm), but Moth will have the real answer.
Another advantage of the up-and-back position you get from new rearsets is a little more room to lean the bike over before scraping the pegs. GP shifting on top of that will make it easier to upshift in the middle of a left turn (this is probably mentioned in the article you linked).

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Another thing I need to find out is if the rear brake light will still come on. I've heard some aftermarket rearsets negate the rear brake light all together.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Pretty sure I can see the brake light switch still in first pic on back of rearset. Meaning its used as there is where else for it to go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts