Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
After eventually making my mind up to buy a CBR500R I settle on tomorrow as the day I pick it up...... Only for the uk to dump a huge amount of snow on us. I'd be happy to sit and stare in my garage but looks like plans need to change. :mad:

Really looking forward to biking again after 7 years off. Just not tomorrow.

Cheers
Neill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forums, don't let it bother you too much on the upside you are receiving the bike soon right. What happened between the seven years? why the pause? The cbr500r will make you happy just dont rush in to it. cheers mate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh this weather can't last too long. Just the usual stopping me biking - kids growing up and not getting the time. Bike is paid for and waiting in the showroom. Can't wait....
Had a test ride last weekend and reckon this can be one fun bike on twisty roads. Reminds me of my old Gpz500 from 89 but better...although wouldn't mine the 60hp. Abs a big plus for me as gives me confidence on slimy roads.
Need to try some new experiences, maybe a track day, a camping trip. It's more what you do with the bike rather than the bike itself.
Cheers
Neill

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
At least yours is in the showroom. Us peeps in the Western Hemisphere are surviving the waiting game on rumors and hope. Count yourself lucky. In Alberta we have endured a hidious long winter, blinding blizzards with pushed back delivery dates of the coveted 500. You will be riding yours before we set eyes on ours.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome aboard!
We look forward to your comments as we sit on out butts waiting for ours to arrive.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
patience is the key but how is the snow now? My friends in UK told me it is better now.
did you manage to ride your bike?
Regards.

LL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thaw has started so hoping to pick it up later this week. The side streets are like ice rinks so not taking chances. Plus we use rock salt to de-ice the roads...not great for keeping ally nice and shiny.
I'm in denial over reports of more snow. Off all next week so should be able to get a fair few miles on the clock.
My first impressions of the test bike were of a very well balanced bike. I was surprised by how high the clip on bars were though, think they would be better an inch lower which would then afford a bit more protection from the short screen. The rest of the ergonomics were spot on. Controls are very light in operation for clutch and gearbox. Gearbox in particular was quiet and positive...one of the best I've used. ABS brakes appeared good but didn't push them and were reassuring on the wet roads. Tyres felt good to me..think it was running Dunlops. As for the engine....this has always been my main concern with the bike only having 47 hp. The torque appears good so no need to rev it to the red line everywhere. Will be good on all types of road here in uk from twisty b roads to motorways. Took it up to over 85 and felt well within its limits and not peaky. There's plenty more to come but the bike only had 3 miles on the clock when I took it out. My only concern is how much acceleration the bike will have when catching cars doing 50-60 on twisty-ish roads. Good planning required but once past it'll be fast enough for me. I'm hoping there will be a little bit of poke in the last 1500revs as the engine wears in that I wasn't prepared to use on the test ride due to the low miles. Overall the bike left a very good impression on me. Felt nice and solid and well made. I reckon I covered about 20miles on the test and it averaged 57mpg. I reckon I'm going to have lots of fun on mine over the next few years. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Neill,

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on your new purchase from a UK perspective. I'm thinking of getting the X version later in the year but want to know what people think after a few months or so. I'm a bit cautious that way!!

My concerns as to whether it will be for me are maybe not enough power, riding position looks a little cramped, want something that will cruise comfortably at 80 (mph) ish. I'm also a little concerned about the MPG figures some of the forum members are reporting. Doesn't seem much point getting a lower powered bike if it's just as thirsty as a bigger one. My CBR600 would get 60mpg on a run (at about 70 mph on the motorway) and my Transalp 700 65mpg. Even fairly hard riding on B roads and the TA would get 55-60mpg. I'd be wanting the CB to get at least 70mpg on a run to be worth the drop in power.

Anyway, lets hope it warms up a bit over the next week so you can get out on your new bike. Keep us posted please!

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts