Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this quick snap of the bikes parked in our yard after returning home from two very scenic and relaxing rides around Fogo Island today. (was out for about 1.5 hours on each bike) The weather was picture-perfect... straight sunshine, no wind, and 25 degrees. (77F)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Did you ride both bikes ?
And were the rides over the same routes ?
Do you like the CB300F mirrors ?

Have fun

·
Registered
335 Posts
I took this quick snap of the bikes parked in our yard after returning home from two very scenic and relaxing rides around Fogo Island today. (was out for about 1.5 hours on each bike) The weather was picture-perfect... straight sunshine, no wind, and 25 degrees. (77F)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Very nice photos. How do we tell which ones are from this latest ride?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ride both bikes ?
And were the rides over the same routes ?
Do you like the CB300F mirrors ?
Have fun
ExTex, I spent about an hour and a half on each bike yesterday; I try to get out on both of them any chance I can. My travel routes don't vary by much, as our island only covers about 250 sq/kms. There are eleven small coastal communities spread out around Fogo Island. (with unusual names like "Tilting", "Seldom Come By", "Joe Batt's Arm", etc) The ocean vistas are unmatched, and almost every road parallels the scenic shoreline.

I love the 300F mirrors. The stock ones were ugly and cheap-looking in my opinion, so I just had to replace them right from day one. Also, I had heard many reports of the stock mirrors showing little view other than the rider's shoulders, and I have no such issues with these ones. I think the 300F mirrors look worlds better than the stock ones.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I saw your "focusonnewfoundland" link and thought you were linking us there, but I guess it's just your signature.
No worries, Smaug. Yeah, what started out years ago as an online gallery of my landscape/nature images captured around our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, has of late morphed into mostly a gallery of pictures of our two dogs... and particularly our newest pooch, a stunning German Shepherd pup who has already brought so much joy into our lives. So if you ever get bored and want to see some cute German Shepherd pup photos, you know where to go! (Sheba is now 11 months old and still growing like a weed, even though she already stands a whopping 28 inches at the shoulders, and weighs in at almost 90 lbs!)
:surprise:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: bambams and Owlman

·
Registered
200 Posts
No worries, Smaug. Yeah, what started out years ago as an online gallery of my landscape/nature images captured around our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, has of late morphed into mostly a gallery of pictures of our two dogs... and particularly our newest pooch, a stunning German Shepherd pup who has already brought so much joy into our lives. So if you ever get bored and want to see some cute German Shepherd pup photos, you know where to go! (Sheba is now 11 months old and still growing like a weed, even though she already stands a whopping 28 inches at the shoulders, and weighs in at almost 90 lbs!)
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Wow. Can't even believe she's the same pup you brought home late last summer! Beautiful!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Can't even believe she's the same pup you brought home late last summer! Beautiful!

Thanks Owlman! Haha, actually it was mid-October when we first brought Sheba home at less than nine weeks old. Here's a pic of when we first got her.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: Owlman

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeez, the Missus and I had complained for all of May and June about how it was always so cold... now it's to [email protected] hot! (and of course today there was not so much as a hint of a breeze) I mean, even way up here in Northern No-Man's Land (aka Newfoundland) it's been so bloody hot/humid that you just can't stand it! Our lawn guy came over today, and before he was even a quarter way done mowing the lawn, he was definitely suffering from heat stroke... to the point that I was quite certain we were going to have to have him transported to the hospital STAT!. As I type this post at about 10:30PM our time, the temperature inside our home is still a crazy 32 degrees! (90F) Holy [email protected], as much as I love to ride at every opportunity, particularly as we experience such short summers, there's just no way that either of us can ride in this. With the humidex value factored in, (was 80% humidity today) it felt like 40+ degrees! (104+F) Now, our southern neighbors, especially those who reside in the lower half of their fine country, are most likely pretty accustomed to riding in intense heat, but for us usually-frozen Newfoundlanders who still had snow falling regularly throughout May... and yes, we even had snow falling at the end of June for God's sake... this amounts to sheer torture!

My wife and I prefer to keep ourselves as well-protected as possible while out on our rides, (so at an absolute minimum, thick leather riding jacket, armoured leather riding gloves, leather riding boots, DOT/SNELL-rated helmet) so with all of this heavy gear on, we have learned that it is just not much fun at these extreme temperatures/humidity. So here's hoping that the weather man is dead wrong about the rest of the week, because it's looking like we'll be getting more of the same for many days to come. Sure, if we didn't have such ridiculously high humidity levels here at the ocean's edge, days in the low 30's(C) range would be acceptable. But as the saying goes, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". No kidding

Tomorrow I will be putting my big boy pants on, will suck it up, and go for a ride!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The heat waves are truly insane. At least you're in a sparsely populated area. There probably isn't much chance of getting stopped at a traffic light for 5 minutes. I know that my leather jacket and textile pants both have vents that do help quite a bit. If I'm moving, even in high heat and humidity I'm surviving. If it's that hot and humid out though I am quickly approaching a medical emergency if I'm stopped on the bike for more than a minute. Which I found out a few weeks back trying to deliver goods to the missus at work during lunch time. And definitely when I finally get to take my gear off I'm dripping sweaty. Just today I had to go back out because the missus was feeling under the weather when I got home and wanted homemade "soup" (her version of it, just pasta and salty soup base water). We were all out of cappelletti pasta so I had to go shopping before I got into the beer. And if I have to go out in summer I'm probably going to struggle to put on my gear and take the bike, even if it's only for 5 minutes. I took the opportunity to also get a "growler" filled up with local beer. So that was a 10 minute ride each way. Then a stop at the grocery store to buy the pasta. That's right around the corner from home so I was back home after about 40 minutes. I was dripping with sweat by the time I got home. I had to completely strip down and even change my briefs because they were soaked through with sweat.

:embarassed

It was worth it. :evil

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The heat waves are truly insane. At least you're in a sparsely populated area. There probably isn't much chance of getting stopped at a traffic light for 5 minutes.
We've never seen the like of this weather in the 11 years we've lived here. Sure, when we lived in the Okanagan you expect intense heat like this all summer long, but not here! Jeez, we basically went from snow and temps right around freezing... right up to deathly hot in the blink of an eye this year. Crazy! And there is still no end in sight, with tomorrow expected to reach a humidex value of 37+. That's not any fun at all!

bambams, you're certainly right about our living in a sparsely populated area, as our island which covers about 250 sq/kms has just 2,000 residents. And no, there isn't any chance of getting stopped at a traffic light, as there isn't a single one to be found anywhere on our island.

As I am writing this, (almost 3:00AM) it is still 21 degrees, and our bedroom is 28. Yuck!
:crying:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have two portable air conditioners gifted to me by my brother. They're just enough to keep this studio apartment comfortable. And fortunate to have utilities included in rent! I don't know how people can cope with this heat without A/C. At the end of winter people are usually cursing it wishing for summer, and you'd think I'd be among them because I ride motorcycles, but in the winter it's easier to maintain a comfortable temperature. I love driving in the winter and generally don't mind snow. Maybe not as much as you guys get though! But I definitely bite my lip when people are cursing the snow because this is the alternative and it's better in ways, but can be more unbearable if you don't have the conveniences to tame it. You can always throw a heavy quilt on in the winter to maintain body heat. That doesn't work in the summer for extreme heat. It's cheaper and easier to add energy than to take it away. I don't think I'd want to go from 0 to 30 overnight though. Your beautiful sights are beginning to reveal their penalties more and more! But what a way to retire I guess.

Append:

I should emphasize that I've always been a bit of a weirdo when it came to heat. All through adolescence and even my teen years you'd find me in long sleeves and long pants all summer long, no matter how hot it got. I was a stick so heat was comfortable. These days I've lost that super power and am stuck suffering in summer like all the mere mortals. Heat still doesn't bother me as quickly as it seems to bother others, but I definitely suffer in bed. Of course, I'm also one of those weirdos that cannot sleep without covers on. I wake up in a swimming pool unless I'm wearing cotton pajamas to absorb the sweat. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Aren't you Canadian, bambams? Many of us would argue that you don't know much about summer heat. ?

It's 113 in Texas right now and 103 in California pretty frequently...

We're in the 80s and 90s here in Chicagoland; that's pretty comfortable, most of the time.

I admit that I generally prefer 50s-70s.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yes, I'm in Canada, and surrounded by the great lakes. Still this year has been crazy. We've had a heat wave of 90 degree temperatures that "feel" like 100 due to high humidity (probably because we're surrounded by huge lakes).. I do not know how people can survive in 113. I'd have to find the nearest walk in beer fridge and set up my desk inside. :spin

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aren't you Canadian, bambams? Many of us would argue that you don't know much about summer heat. ?It's 113 in Texas right now and 103 in California pretty frequently... We're in the 80s and 90s here in Chicagoland; that's pretty comfortable, most of the time. I admit that I generally prefer 50s-70s.
It's supposed to be 38C (over 100F) here tomorrow with the humidity factored in. Canadian or not, that's pretty damned uncomfortable... considering I live halfway to freakin' Greenland!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: Smaug

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is 35 degrees (95F) here on Fogo Island today, with the humidity factored in. Tomorrow is to be 37. (99F) Too hot for this guy to be riding. I long for the cooler Newfoundland summers of yesteryear!
:crying:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a photo of my daughter and I, just as we were heading out for a ride around Fogo Island. This is in fact the very first time I have carried a passenger, so I took things slow and careful as I got accustomed to having an extra body onboard. Felt kind weird though, having an RCMP police officer sitting on the back of my bike... I told her ahead of time that we may have to write her out of the will if she attempts to give her old man any grief about traffic infractions! We had a ton of fun though, and the only tricky part was trying my best to block her view of the speedometer!
:wink:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: GRIZZY

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mentioned in the above post a few days ago that I took our daughter Jacqueline out for rides around our little island in the North Atlantic when she came home for a couple weeks of holidays; some well-deserved downtime away from the hectic pace of her policing duties in Alberta. Here's a short clip of us on my 500F... As I said, it feels kinda weird having a cop on the back of my bike and having to obey (uhh, sort of!) the rules of the road... well, we didn't get too crazy anyway. Haha!

Jacqueline took the two-day riders safety course with me a few years ago and was all set to take the road test and purchase her own new bike, but that very same week she received the call to begin her training at the RCMP Police Academy in Saskatchewan, so her bike plans got put on the backburner. But now, especially after all the fun we had last week while riding on our scenic coastal roads, she's now back to talking about buying a new bike! Here's the link to the video clip:

https://youtu.be/jdqFyXGu_KE

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

1 - 19 of 19 Posts