Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MotoDan requested it, but to be honest it doesn't take too much to get me talking about some of my old bikes.

I started with a cb550 back with I was 14 and that had such an impression on my during my impressionable years that I find myself buying a 1970's cb550 anytime I come across one. I have owned four so far - but I always lose my mind and end up selling them for a new model bike.

Here is a lovely cb550f supersport I had a couple years ago.

Loaded up for a bike trip that me and a buddy took

Here is my V-Strom. Was a great bike (except I never really warmed up to the yellow paint). As a DL1000 owner I encountered a few reviews that suggested that the DL650 could do everything that the 1000cc version could do (except burn more fuel).

Here is my old Honda 919. A fantastic, classy I4 that never sold as well here, probably due to a public that thought they needed either a cruiser or a hard-core sportbike. As it was, the 919 was still more power than I needed, and had the same fuel mileage as my Honda Civic, making it hard to justify from a cost savings perspective. When I took this photo, I wheeled it out into the snow to get a Canadian rider shot.

Here is my most recent cb550 this one a "k" version. I regret selling all of my motorcycles, but this one still hurts to look at because I bought it for so cheap. The next time I find a mint cb550, I am going to tatoo "don't sell" on my arm as a message to myself just in case I go temporarily insane again.

Here is my 650 Versys. The first and only bike I have bought brand new and the one that really convinced me that it isn't necessary for a motorcycle to be 1000+cc's; infact, that large size might actually stand in the way of real brilliance.

Putting the kids to work washing the Versys and a 1972 CL70 that I picked up to use a cool around town scooter. Sold it, don't know why.

In the past I have owned a couple other Hondas CB650, 1100 Shadow, and V45 Magna, as well as a 900cc Ninja a even a 441 BSA Victor. Even though, my blood runs Honda-red, I have to admit that the Versys was probably been the best all-round motorcycle I have owned so far. I am fully expecting the new CB500's to impress me the same way.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Lucky you to have some beautiful bikes. I love your cb550f supersport, and the headers on your 919 are so minty fresh clean. You sure take care of them.

Thanks for posting up pictures :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NSR! Unfortunately I always have to sell a bike to buy a new one because I cant afford to keep them all together.

And thanks for noticing the 919 headers. They picked up lot of junk from the front tire so every once in a while I would freshen them up with a wet sand with really fine sand paper and soapy water. Left them looking brand new afterwards. Cheers.

Chad

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
couple of my bikes

Here are a couple of my bikes. cbf1000sa and my current ride the cbr 250ra. Installed a few mods on the cbr, among them Yosh full exhaust with Bazzaz ZFI.....can't find pics of my HD from years ago though

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool bikes vroom vroom. I have admired the cbf's for a long time, and if Honda had offered the cbf600n for us Canadians, I probably would have bought one already.

How do you find the cbr250 compares to the cbf? Is that a pretty big adjustment each time you switch bikes?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@Fish. Thanks for the complement. I find the CBF quit heavy as the tank is 19l and wet kerb weight is approx 550lbs (abs). I'm not a big person, 5'5", 115 lbs, so when i find myself in tight situations ie parking lots, I have to man handle the thing. Not fun. Seat height is sub optimal as well. I actually have sold it as I'm purchasing the cbr 500r. The 250 is a much funner ride. I love the nimble fickability of the smaller bike. The CBF is more of a touring bike which is amazing at highway speeds. I've had the thing well over 100mph without really noticing it. Very smooth. My local Powerhouse has carried the CBF 600 for several yrs now. I'm in Alberta.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the past I would have been more inclined to go with the bigger bike, but now I am seeing the virtues of leaner and lighter. I have been eyeing the cbr250r due to the low purchase and upkeep costs, awesome fuel mileage, and it looks like a blast to ride. What held me back was concerns that I might be too tall and too heavy to fit it properly. The new 500 seems like just the ticket.

You arent in Calgary by any chance are you? I'm in Okotoks.
Cheers,

Chad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice collection you go there. Having a couple extra sets of hands will always be helpful until they start wanting to ride. But luckily for you theres a so many to choose from ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@Fish, if ur chatting with me, I'm in Cochrane

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vroom vroom, thats a great town to own a bike in. Once we all get our new cb500's we need to organize a group ride!

Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts