Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 5000 mile oil and filter change after turning 60,000 miles. I bought this bike with about 3,000 miles on it and have had zero problems with it.

I have been riding for 57 years and always do my own maintenance and tire changes. I have done two valve adjustment checks with no change in the clearances. I'm not going to do another until 70K as these valve systems seem quite stable. I'm on my third chain, and at the next tire change I'm going to replace the front and rear brake rotors as they are both getting near minimum thickness. I've replaced the rear pads once and the front twice. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and use Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40 diesel oil and Purolator PL 14612 filters. The bike does not need any oil added between changes.

I've gone through numerous front and rear tires, generally getting around 10K to 15K miles on the front and around 8K on the rear, although I sometimes change early so I can get through a trip without needing a new tire, and then I put the takeoff back on later. I mostly buy Shinko Raven 009 in stock sizes from Revzilla. They are cheap and work fine.

The air filter is a K&N that I installed at 10K miles and cleaned and re-oiled at 50K. A few aftermarket parts that I have installed are a gear indicator, a center stand, a voltage gauge, Oxford heated grips, and a Garmin Zumo 220 gps mount and wiring. I also have a hookup for my Gerbing heated vest. The alternator on these bikes puts out an impressive 500 watts, so I have had no problem with powering these accessories. When I go on multi day tours I install my Givi luggage racks and side cases plus a tail bag and tank bag.

I am pretty impressed with the quality of this bike and the fit and finish of the fairings, although they can be pretty fiddley to remove and replace

Here is a picture of me and my bike. Looking at it reminds me that I forgot to mention the Laminar Lip addition to the windscreen .

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, McRider,

How does the Laminar Lip work for you? I had one on my Parabellum windscreen on my old BMW K75s which helped a bit with helmet buffeting noise. When I got my used 2014 CBR500R in 2018 it had a Givi/Honda windscreen that produced intense helmet buffeting noise at regular speeds. Switched back to the stock screen and all is good, just a bit of additional wind on my chest, but now a smooth airflow over my helmet - much quieter. Does the Lip give you more protection? I am just leary of the added height, as the Givi screen was about 2 inches higher and was seriously noisy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is a bit more noisy, but I wear ear plugs all the time anyway and it is not a problem. It takes some of the strain off my arms at high speed or windy conditions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is a very impressive report. I've got you by 10 years on riding experience, having started at age 16 in 1953. I agree fully re the quality of the CB-500s, but for me the seat and suspension were "killers" due to my light weight of 135#.. I've fitted a Corbin seat, which is very good and is even better since I raised the front of the seat 3/4" so it doesn't slant down toward the front. I'm working with Wilbers to get the right springing for the new Wilbers shock absorber.. Wilbers sent the shock (from Germany) with a 10.5 N/mm spring, which is near-rigid. A 9.0 N/mm spring was determined correct and is on the way. I made a note of your filter recommendation.

I hope you get another 60K miles from your bike and have safe riding all the way.

Ralph

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just did my 5000 mile oil and filter change after turning 60,000 miles. I bought this bike with about 3,000 miles on it and have had zero problems with it.

I have been riding for 57 years and always do my own maintenance and tire changes. I have done two valve adjustment checks with no change in the clearances. I'm not going to do another until 70K as these valve systems seem quite stable. I'm on my third chain, and at the next tire change I'm going to replace the front and rear brake rotors as they are both getting near minimum thickness. I've replaced the rear pads once and the front twice. I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and use Chevron Delo 400LE 15W40 diesel oil and Purolator PL 14612 filters. The bike does not need any oil added between changes.

I've gone through numerous front and rear tires, generally getting around 10K to 15K miles on the front and around 8K on the rear, although I sometimes change early so I can get through a trip without needing a new tire, and then I put the takeoff back on later. I mostly buy Shinko Raven 009 in stock sizes from Revzilla. They are cheap and work fine.

The air filter is a K&N that I installed at 10K miles and cleaned and re-oiled at 50K. A few aftermarket parts that I have installed are a gear indicator, a center stand, a voltage gauge, Oxford heated grips, and a Garmin Zumo 220 gps mount and wiring. I also have a hookup for my Gerbing heated vest. The alternator on these bikes puts out an impressive 500 watts, so I have had no problem with powering these accessories. When I go on multi day tours I install my Givi luggage racks and side cases plus a tail bag and tank bag.

I am pretty impressed with the quality of this bike and the fit and finish of the fairings, although they can be pretty fiddley to remove and replace

Here is a picture of me and my bike. Looking at it reminds me that I forgot to mention the Laminar Lip addition to the windscreen .

View attachment 72358
I recently bought a 2014 CBR500R with only 2000miles on it....have put 500 more on it and like the bike except for the low speed throttling.......ever have an issue with yours?.....at slower speeds on country ,curvy roads,when I let off the throttle,even slowly it's as if it shuts down with no smooth transition and then the opposite when reengaging the throttle(it jerks suddenly on)...drives me crazy.....been riding also for over 50 years and never had this problem....any ideas???
Thanks....B.McCoy

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
McRider, you are well worthy of your screen name. I've put down some miles but would be embarrassed to say how much in your presence. Cheers, ride well. 🍻

·
Registered
39 Posts

View attachment 72358

Well done McRider, I too have passed the 60k mile mark (100k kilometer - sounds more impressive).

Have you ever changed your front fork oil? I did mine and the seals (although no leaks) at about 40k miles and what came out was nasty compared to fresh fork oil..

Bike also handled like a dream again - fork oil deteriorates over time and it is something you get use to and automatically compensate for.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That is a very impressive report. I've got you by 10 years on riding experience, having started at age 16 in 1953.
Very, very inspiring. I'd love to think I'll still be riding at 83.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That is a very impressive report. I've got you by 10 years on riding experience, having started at age 16 in 1953. I agree fully re the quality of the CB-500s, but for me the seat and suspension were "killers" due to my light weight of 135#.. I've fitted a Corbin seat, which is very good and is even better since I raised the front of the seat 3/4" so it doesn't slant down toward the front. I'm working with Wilbers to get the right springing for the new Wilbers shock absorber.. Wilbers sent the shock (from Germany) with a 10.5 N/mm spring, which is near-rigid. A 9.0 N/mm spring was determined correct and is on the way. I made a note of your filter recommendation.

I hope you get another 60K miles from your bike and have safe riding all the way.

Ralph
I found the same with seat and suspension. Had the seat fitted with memory foam and a new shock its real good now. I find the seat slopes to the front too much. How did you modify your seat to lift at the front.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 CBR500R with only 2000miles on it....have put 500 more on it and like the bike except for the low speed throttling.......ever have an issue with yours?.....at slower speeds on country ,curvy roads,when I let off the throttle,even slowly it's as if it shuts down with no smooth transition and then the opposite when reengaging the throttle(it jerks suddenly on)...drives me crazy.....been riding also for over 50 years and never had this problem....any ideas???
Thanks....B.McCoy
Silly question have you checked the drive chain tension, 25-35mm free play at the tightest spot with the bike on the floor or on a paddock stand.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have changed the fork oil at 50,000 miles and I also change the brake fluid every year or when I install new pads. At 50,000 I took the rear linkage apart and lubed the bearings. I kind of like wrenching on bikes and I have a Harbor Freight platform lift that makes it a lot more fun for a creaky old guy who doesn't like getting on and off the floor.

By the way, I have a blog that covers a lot of my trips and other motorcycle related stuff. There are also a couple of unrelated subjects like the restoration of a 1965 Mustang I bought new and that my son and I completed five years ago. It can be found at: The Good Roads

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have changed the fork oil at 50,000 miles and I also change the brake fluid every year or when I install new pads. At 50,000 I took the rear linkage apart and lubed the bearings. I kind of like wrenching on bikes and I have a Harbor Freight platform lift that makes it a lot more fun for a creaky old guy who doesn't like getting on and off the floor.

By the way, I have a blog that covers a lot of my trips and other motorcycle related stuff. There are also a couple of unrelated subjects like the restoration of a 1965 Mustang I bought new and that my son and I completed five years ago. It can be found at: The Good Roads
Excellent blog, I have bookmarked it. Off topic what tires are you using? I've always had Michelin pilot road 4 or 5's, but my current front seems to have a defect.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts

View attachment 72358

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1, just like you I have been riding a long time,83 in a few days been riding from when I war 20.keep going ,the best of luck.Plasma1.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great to hear you have gotten that kind of trouble-free mileage from the Honda. I hope to keep mine for the duration, not feeling any real need to buy another street bike. I have been riding for 60 years & the 500F is the first “modern” bike I have owned. I wasn’t too keen on it’s looks, but with the way it works, that hardly mattered. I also tour on it & find it adequate. The bike really shines on the little two lane, or less, twisty roads that comprise the majority of my terrain.
As to Brian McCoy’s throttle complaint, the jerkiness has been a topic here before. Check other threads. I have adapted to it & I rarely notice it now. Using very smooth tiny throttle openings at low speed seems to help as does keeping the revs above 4000 rpm when practical.
7A269329-A989-430E-928C-3B7BDA54BD20.jpeg
n

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks....working on the throttle touch!....What's with all the old guys still riding???......(Feels great!)....
I'm turning 77 soon(just a number,right?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts