Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I mentioned before, I ride an R3 but have been enjoying your Forum to collect info and ideas. My idea of 2 bikes in the garage is probably not reasonable, (think of wife reminding me of 1 arse to sit on but 2 bikes to maintain). So, I'm bidding my time for a decent deal. The F appears an identical bike as the R, with the exception of the body panels and clip-on handle bars of the R. It's been a long time since I've ridden an un-faired bike and I regularly ride during winters down into the low thirties, so wind protection is important to me. But the difference in the price of these 2 bikes makes me want to consider the F. Especially since my local dealer has one 2018 F and 2018 R left in his inventory. And, as your Forum posts have pointed out, there are some awesome aftermarket windscreens available at good prices. I don't believe I'd be disappointed in either bike. Please, Help me see the light if I'm overlooking or overthinking this. Thanks in advance for your opinions. :serious:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Getting a windscreen that works for you and looks good on the bike (CB500F) can be a problem.... usually trial and error.
I settled for a windscreen rather than a windshield, which was a compromise.... looks good but doesn't provide a lot of wind protection in Winter.
That took about 3 tries.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The F is also a bit easier to work on becasue there are fewer panels to remove.
But there are still some plastic panels that get in the way and it is best to remove them to open up the bike for repair.

Both 500's permit the installation of a center stand which aids the maintenance for chain oiling, tires & brakes.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As a long-time CB500FA owner, I just don't see why anyone would want to ruin the look of this beautiful naked roadster by sticking a windshield on it. It's just not necessary. Yesterday I was zipping along at 170 km/h and remained quite comfy... even at that speed I never felt that the wind, nor the cool temps, (was 10C at the time) were an issue at all. To each his/her own, but I have never seen a great-looking 500F sporting a windshield. Call me crazy, but I'll go out on a limb here, and state that I don't believe that there is any more wind issues while riding a 500F over a 500R.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I don't think that the R's fairing is wide enough to really block much wind. If it's cold out you'll be cold no matter what unless you're wearing warm gear. Solve that problem with proper riding gear instead. Or search for a touring bike that is designed for that purpose (personally, I think I would be happier with a touring bike now given my geographic location, but that's because most of the roads that I can ride on are boring, and a lot of the local riding is on the highway where this bike's limitations wear on you faster).

Personally, I also think that the F looks better. At least, for the 2013-2015 models. The 2016+ improved the R's appearance quite a bit, but the F is still sexy so kept up at least. In terms of maintenance, I don't know how much more convenient the F is, but I know it's a real PITA to remove the R's fairings to access various things, and these days I'd appreciate easier access much more over the relatively modest looks of the 2013 R's fairing, and the little bit of protection it offers on the road.

If you're deciding between R and F I suggest going with the F. When people see the full fairing they typically think you're on a 600 crotch rocket, and it's a little demoralizing having to explain that it's not. I don't know if the F suffers from that too (it looks fast as **** anyway), but I imagine it's not as bad because people are less familiar with the naked sport look and probably make fewer assumptions. The windscreen is basically the same on both models. You get a ton of turbulence at highway speeds with the stock setup. You get used to it, but it is exhausting.

Also, in my opinion, the clip-ons on the R don't really work right with the riding position. From day one I found I was caught somewhere between comfort and sport. It's an awkward position to be in. I don't know if the F is better for that, but I assume it is. The R is really exhausting to ride, at least for me.

If I had the money I'd replace her with a Gold Wing tomorrow! So that's where I'm coming from. The R is still a lovely little bike, but I think you can get a lot more bike for a little bit more money, and it depends on your riding history whether the R will suffice. I can't remember what you want to change about the R3, but I don't think the solution truly lies in a 500. If you do a lot of highway riding then I think you'll be happier with a touring style bike. Or maybe a cruiser. I'm not sure that the 500 does anything better than the R3 other than being slightly heavier which may give you more confidence, but will probably cost agility and braking distance in return. I'm not sure if the R3 is thick between the thighs (Ninja 250's look like they are wider than the 500), but after riding a larger bike like the 650 the 500 feels like a toy, and I'm not fond of that feeling at this point in my riding career.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like the F because of less stuff on it, however, both have issues (as all bikes do) with windage. I had one of the smaller screens (Puig) and it did almost nothing. I went to a different brand (I forget the brand, but purchased from Revzilla) and I like it a LOT better for windage, however, I had to add lower brackets because its original mounting only did connections to h-bars. Bottom was too loose and I was afraid it would blow up with the wind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my F and I find it only really is a pain on the hwy when there is a decent head wind.

Personally I really like this windshield for the bike. It’s smaller and still has the same look as the F. I don’t know I’m still undecided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
I too also prefer the naked look of the F. I recently fitted Pied’s old Puig screen to mine and found that it did move the air off my chest at speeds up to about 60. After that it was worthless but looked **** good on the bike. His was for a ‘16 model but was easily installed on my ‘13 using 1/2” nylon spacers and longer bolts. I thought this one looked much better than the Puig designated for the 13-15 in pics and was right once I saw it installed. Unfortunately I don’t have any pics and have removed it for sale along with all my other parts as I’m moving on to something different.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A very dear friend who lives over 1000 miles from me (so I didn't have a chance to personally test his suggestion), tried several less expensive windshields on his '17 CB-500F (same as mine) and finally "bit the bullet" ($$$) and bought a Madstadt windshield. This cost about $250USD, but in his words, he "got what he paid for" and it outclassed all the lesser windshields in every sense. He said to me, "You can try the cheaper ones and all you'll do is waste money. Buy the Madstadt and you'll get your money's worth the first time". He is a long term rider, has had many bikes and I regard his advice as solid.

For the meanwhile, as Central Texas endures a full month of daily high temperatures of 100F or more, I'm not thinking of a windshield! As one poster above said, when Winter comes he'll just dress more warmly. I sense very little buffeting when riding my F model at speeds above 60 mph.

Ralph

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Doesn't look like that MRA windscreen would be tall enough to help much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an MRA windscreen, a German Brand, it`s a specific model for the 500F. For me, it is one of the best you can get for this bike, if not the better one: very easy to put into the bike and it looks Good, well it`s sbjetive! Check the link below as I can`t add pictures.
https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/mra-motorcycle-windshield-for-honda-cb500f-16-17-nsm-spoiler-screen
I too have an MRA windshield but it’s just a bit too short and results in turbulence on my helmet beating my head up. Not comfortable! I’m too tall for it by maybe 2”and I’m only 5’ 7”. So i will probably sell it and try another windshield sooner than later.

The one I have is different, Much larger. https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/mra-v-flow-x-creen-sport-screen-style-vfxz-universal-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles

I ride with no windshield right now. I’ve tried the Small Puig one (the newer model) and wasn’t impressed with where it moved the air too. I prefer nothing or a large windshield to block wind completely, especially for winter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I too have an MRA windshield but it’s just a bit too short and results in turbulence on my helmet beating my head up. Not comfortable! I’m too tall for it by maybe 2”and I’m only 5’ 7”. So i will probably sell it and try another windshield sooner than later.

The one I have is different, Much larger. https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/mra-v-flow-x-creen-sport-screen-style-vfxz-universal-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles

I ride with no windshield right now. I’ve tried the Small Puig one (the newer model) and wasn’t impressed with where it moved the air too. I prefer nothing or a large windshield to block wind completely, especially for winter.

+1, thats the one i have,find its not bad.

Plasma1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my 500F so I can't speak to highway wind with or without a windscreen. My last bike was an R3. It had a windscreen similar to what's available for the 500F and it did little to nothing regarding wind at speed. I love the F because of the upright seating position. Being hunched over a gas tank with all the weight on my arms and wrists was tiring. For me it made even a short ride uncomfortable. So that's my 2 cents on the F vs the R.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmmm... I must be one of the few on here that prefers the look of the R. Where I am the windshield is really helpful and I can't imagine riding at 80 MPH with a 30 MPH headwind with no windshield. I had a 30 to 40 MPH tailwind yesterday and experienced a very strange calm, it felt like there was no pressure on my helmet or torso and almost no wind noise. It was pretty cool, especially considering the fact that I was surrounded by the dark clouds of the winter storm I was trying to outrun heading back to town. Acceleration up to 90 was effortless and the instant fuel economy (yeah I know it's off) was reporting 65+ MPG at 80 MPH, usually it reports 47-56 MPG at those speeds.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2013 500r as well. 6000 km on it now. One of the more enjoyable bikes I've ever owned. Thinking of going to an X model possibly this year. It has a better windshield system than the R. (I still think the R is art on wheels, compared to the X). I got the speed / fuel economy numbers right on by going to a one tooth larger front sprocket. Checked for accuracy with a GPS. I no longer feel the need to look for 7th gear either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 500R which I changed the screen on to a Puig screen. Bit of a job fitting it but the difference is light and day, pushing the wind to the shoulders. Went for the dark tint on a gloss black bike, looks **** hot too. Money well spent to reduce wind on the chest and up under the helmet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts