Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to purchase my 500F (Found out at Honda Big Wing there are two reds, the newer one being much better IMO), but I'm concerned about the lack of any windscreen protection. The sales reps said they felt there would be quite a bit of wind at speed. Evidently the 500X windscreen does not fit the 500F, and the only aftermarket they offered was rather large and not too attractive. So now I'm thinking of just getting the 500R (and then wait on how to get both headlights working at the same time on low beam). Does anyone know how strong the wind force is at say 120-130 kph on the F? And/or is there is a decent wind screen available? I used to own a Honda VTX1300 and at freeway speeds you felt like at any moment you might blow off the bike....was not a comfortable ride without an aftermarket windscreen. Thanks all! (Oh, if the 500R comes in the new red, that's probably a deal maker!)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Getting ready to purchase my 500F (Found out at Honda Big Wing there are two reds, the newer one being much better IMO), but I'm concerned about the lack of any windscreen protection. The sales reps said they felt there would be quite a bit of wind at speed. Evidently the 500X windscreen does not fit the 500F, and the only aftermarket they offered was rather large and not too attractive. So now I'm thinking of just getting the 500R (and then wait on how to get both headlights working at the same time on low beam). Does anyone know how strong the wind force is at say 120-130 kph on the F? And/or is there is a decent wind screen available? I used to own a Honda VTX1300 and at freeway speeds you felt like at any moment you might blow off the bike....was not a comfortable ride without an aftermarket windscreen. Thanks all! (Oh, if the 500R comes in the new red, that's probably a deal maker!)
See my thread from yesterday - "Wind Protection" on this forum. I decided to go with the CBR500R with a wind deflector. Very comfortable at speed.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
The best I find for the wind noise is a nice form fitted custom ear plugs. They inject your ears with a mold and fits exactly to your ears. I just find after riding for a long period of time especially on the freeway when you come to a stop i just have this jarring feeling in my head from the noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Carbonada...interesting solution. On the Big Wing website, it mentions the 500F windscreen is adjustable, but I didn't see that when looking at the bike, just on the 500X, or maybe I misread. On the positive side, aftermarket products should soon come gather momentum, so a windscreen will most likely be soon offered. :)

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I love the raw look of the CB500f but functionality wise if you do a lot of freeway rides then you might wan tot invest in a taller windscreen. There are aftermarket ones that I have seen in the past but they look out of place.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I installed a small clear shield not much bigger than an A4 paper on my VTR250 because above 120 km/h it was not comfortable on longer rides.
That little thing made a big difference.
But don't expect a shield to make the air flow go away - it bundles it and a small shield may take the pressure off your chest, then shove it in your face.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just ordered this screen:
Puig For the bike model Honda CB 500F 2013 | Puig

Should be here in about a week. I'll post some pics and let you guys know how it helps. I think it'll compliment the lines on the bike without looking to frankensteinish.
Hi Malcolm - just resurrecting this thread - now that you've had the screen for 3 months, what do you think??? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I would be happy to give you a review.....except a van decided to back into me the week before it arrived and trashed my F.

I ended up trading it in for the X, and ended up loving it more. The X's screen is about the same height as the Puig would have been and it works fantastically. If that helps

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
There are a few threads in this section, mostly about the Ermax and MRA screens. I've got the MRA and am putting it on the bike in the next couple of days.

Most naked bikes will look a bit odd with an added screen of any substance. I didn't find the stock screen on the R to be that substantial either, but obviously since it has mounting points, other screens are more easily possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry, have been really busy lately, but I will post some pics of the mounted MRA screen tomorrow. Looks more stylish than I thought and has WAY better coverage than the Ermax. Difference is night and day; it makes highway riding a breeze (apologies for the bad pun lol).

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Going to mount mine and try a few different positions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Going to mount mine and try a few different positions.
Yah, my original mounting was a bit lower and more flush with the digital display/panel, but I couldn't get it perfectly symmetrical in that orientation, so now it's slightly higher and more raised. Still seems sturdy and I'm no longer niggled at by the asymmetry lol. Be sure to post pics/ride reports when you get yours set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts