Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am a new rider and purchased my ‘22 CBR500R in June. Yes, yes I know, I should not have bought a brand new bike with no experience. I definitely figured that out when I laid it down on my first ride. Besides that, I have taken it on many rides and have gotten a lot more comfortable riding.

So far, I have rode it just over 1,000 miles and I love the experiences I gain each time I get on the bike. The first photo is a general photo of my bike.

The second photo is from a ride that I will always cherish. My CBR is on the left, my boyfriend’s MT-07 is center, and our friend’s CBR600RR is on the right. We were going to take a “short” ride up the mountain and ended up riding 190 miles up through National Forest in a large loop.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Cloud

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome aboard. Keep it upright & wear proper clothing. Good you have a mate who rides, it makes things easier in so many respects. While learning from others can be good, you can also learn not so good habits. I suggest if you have not already done so to take the motorcycle safety course. Also Youtube has many good videos on the topic of improving riding skills. Check out MCrider.com as a starting point. Also, while riding with others is good be careful of getting in over your head in the twisties if you are chasing people on faster bikes with more experience. I am wondering if your crash took place in a turn & was a single vehicle affair? Most motorcycle “accidents” are a result of over cooking corners & running out of room & talent.
Have fun & remember your whole goal when you go out is to return home safely.
PS, Looking at the background in your first photo I wonder where you are located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. Keep it upright & wear proper clothing. Good you have a mate who rides, it makes things easier in so many respects. While learning from others can be good, you can also learn not so good habits. I suggest if you have not already done so to take the motorcycle safety course. Also Youtube has many good videos on the topic of improving riding skills. Check out MCrider.com as a starting point. Also, while riding with others is good be careful of getting in over your head in the twisties if you are chasing people on faster bikes with more experience. I am wondering if your crash took place in a turn & was a single vehicle affair? Most motorcycle “accidents” are a result of over cooking corners & running out of room & talent.
Have fun & remember your whole goal when you go out is to return home safely.
PS, Looking at the background in your first photo I wonder where you are located?
I am definitely the slowest rider when I ride with others. When it is just my boyfriend and our friend, they have me lead so I set the pace (especially of the curves). Sometimes we will ride with one person in front of me and one behind but they both always make sure that I am being safe and riding within my comfort zone. When it is a larger group, I tend to fall behind a bit. I prefer to ride my own ride rather than ride outside of what I know I can handle. I have heard horror stories about accidents and I definitely want to do everything in my power to remain safe.

With the drop my first day on my bike, it was just me. I had practiced ONCE in a parking lot on a different bike prior to getting mine and I had not practiced turning directly from a stopped position. I was taking a right at a stop sign and hit the curb. After that, we took my bike to a parking lot and practiced my turns along with my braking and starts a lot. My bike got some scratches but, other than that, things turned out alright. I am signed up for the MSF course in a few weeks as well.
Lastly, I live in New Mexico and that photo of my bike was taken the day I dropped my bike at the parking lot I went to practice my turning skills 😂

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was happy to see that your bike was not too damaged in the photo. The first scratches are always the most painful, especially on the first time out!
I have been riding since I was five years old (1955) because my father was a life long rider & he put me on ASAP. I have ridden with plenty of others, but generally prefer to go solo because I like to pull over for photo ops or to check things out fairly frequently.
Sounds like you are in the right position when you go out with others. Good on you for signing up for the safety course.
The background of the photo looked very southwest & beautiful. We live in coastal Northern California, but winter in the desert between Palm Springs & the Mexican boarder. Both of the areas we live in have exceptional riding opportunities.
I have owned my 2016 500 F since it was new & found it to be a wonderful all around bike.
Enjoy!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Helmet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts