Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
97 Posts
Is it worth doing a dyno tune on this bike?
spoke with my dealership that does dyno tuning and they adjust the MAP every 100 rpm through the rev range. They said it would gain power and smoother power curve.
What do you mean by adjust the MAP (with capital letters)? MAP based fueling map is only used for partial loads and idle - it doesn't affect WOT torque neither power. TPS fueling map is used for full throttle - if you adjust it certainly can improve a bit the torque curve and add some peak HP because OEM fuelling is too rich, it just bogs the engine on full throttle.

· Registered
716 Posts
Surely a full ECU remap would include all parameters. I have a local man that does this work, and he will do off the bike ECU upgrade, or full Dyno remap for power and or economy. I think all the Dyno guys are doing it. It would be interesting for someone to report on the results.

· Premium Member
1,317 Posts
It'll feel smoother but as far as power gains though, sure it'll give a poofteenth of an amount increase for them to say it does... actually noticeable though = nope.
As with any performance tuning, you gain what you put in. Tweaking what it has already been engineered for is like polishing a mirror to improve reflectance.
If you want to see real seat-of-the-pants gains, you need to change/modify components that will aid an higher overall increase - improvements to the intake (not just a "performance" filter but modifications that will allow more air in, like increasing the intake tract diameter), a higher flowing header and muffler, the additions to increase gains are only limited by your wallet.

· Registered
90 Posts
So you are saying really a reflash at about £450 is not worth the gains ?
The value is up to you. You'll most likely notice better fueling (and maybe a tad more torque) at low RPM when riding in traffic but you won't notice much if any gain up top. If that's worth £450 to you then it's worth it. I think the others were just trying to save you from being disappointed. If you perform the intake mod and install a better exhaust system first, then you'll get more from your £450 dyno tune.

· Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
97 Posts
So you are saying really a reflash at about £450 is not worth the gains ?
Before making a reflash I would ask the tuner to show a dyno chart with before/after results he obtained on other CBR500s. Then you can decide if it worths the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts