Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys just wanted to know if it was possible to do an engine swap and put a CBR600rr in a 2020 CBR500r frame?

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,180 Posts
Go watch some Allen Millyard videos on Youtube. He demonstrates that anything is possible with enough skill. Barring latent skill, enough money will buy other people's talent to get the job done.

Question is: Why would you want to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go watch some Allen Millyard videos on Youtube. He demonstrates that anything is possible with enough skill. Barring latent skill, enough money will buy other people's talent to get the job done.

I would like to do a protect and get more power out of it but I like the way the CBR 500R looks

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,180 Posts
I would like to do a protect and get more power out of it but I like the way the CBR 500R looks
I see. The scope of work is huge: It's likely, for example, that the CBR500R frame is not wide enough between the seat pan and the headstock to accommodate the intake and airbox for the 600RR engine. The fuel tank definitely won't spread over an I4's airbox and throttle bodies. Modifications to the frame for that and to provide for engine mounts would be huge; even the frame as-engineered probably isn't stiff or strong enough for the 600. The fairings that make the 500R look the way it does probably wouldn't fit around the 600. The list is as good as endless.

If you're looking for a project and have some skills (and/or money) a really cool project would be to put a turbocharger on the twin. Design an exhaust manifold, 3D print it and send it out to a foundry to have it cast in iron. You could end up with something like a Suzuki PT concept bike from a few years ago:

Or you could fab something up from tubing. Ditto an airbox that could be pressurized. You'd want to keep the boost down to, say, 5-psi to protect the engine mechanically and so you might be able to get away without an intercooler. You'd need to work out supplemental fueling and plumbing but this would still be, in relative terms, trivial compared to putting a 600 in this bike's frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you you have really helped me out a lot I will definitely look into that I really appreciate the time you took to explain this to me.

·
Registered
452 Posts

All done from his shed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts