Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a sort of amateur ABS braking test on the 2019 CB500X and the results are as can be seen in the video below. I thought the braking would be better than the results, or did I do it wrongly? Has anyone done a similar test? What were your results? Should I do it differently?
2019 CB500X ABS brake test

·
Registered
93 Posts
You clearly do not have a clue.
What do you think this proves?
You do not emergency brake using only the front or rear brake - you always use both brakes.
All ABS does is stops the wheels locking completely, it does shorten the distance over locked wheels and makes it less likely that you loose control and fall off whilst skidding particularly if the front wheel is completely locked.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There is nothing wrong with testing both brakes separately but, as Chrisbisc says, you should almost always use both bikes together. Your stopping distance will be much greater only using one alone. So if you want to test the ABS system you also need to try with both brakes together to see the actual benefit you would get from it in a real situation.

But if you are testing the ABS, what are you testing it against? You say you thought it would be better, but is your complaint with the ABS system or just the quality of the brakes?

To properly show the effect of ABS on the bike you need to do all the same tests with normal emergency braking, so you can compare the results.

And on just a general video making point, and if it would not get you into any legal trouble, I would use a piece of chalk to mark on the kerb where the bike stops each time. So with each successive test viewers can instantly visually see and compare the different methods of braking

What you may end up with then is a video which not only demonstrates the qualify the ABS on your specific bike, but also demonstrates proper braking making it a useful learning tool.

At the very least, such a video should show why using both brakes together makes such an important difference over using just one of them. If you are using chalk and brake in the order of back, front, then both then each time you will stop shorter of the previous mark making it very clear the braking power of each option.

And, especially with different coloured chalks for ABS and non-ABS braking, it would be interesting to see the difference between the two methods. It should show that having a proper braking technique is better than relying on ABS to save you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You clearly do not have a clue.
What do you think this proves?
You do not emergency brake using only the front or rear brake - you always use both brakes.
All ABS does is stops the wheels locking completely, it does shorten the distance over locked wheels and makes it less likely that you loose control and fall off whilst skidding particularly if the front wheel is completely locked.
Thanks Chrisbisc for the input and suggestions, Just to mention that my amateur test was based purely on the assumption of an emergency situation where the rider only applies the front or rear brakes. However, I agree that in an emergency, the rider's impulse reaction will be to apply both brakes. I should have added a double braking test as well. I'll do another test to determine the difference. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is nothing wrong with testing both brakes separately but, as Chrisbisc says, you should almost always use both bikes together. Your stopping distance will be much greater only using one alone. So if you want to test the ABS system you also need to try with both brakes together to see the actual benefit you would get from it in a real situation.

But if you are testing the ABS, what are you testing it against? You say you thought it would be better, but is your complaint with the ABS system or just the quality of the brakes?

To properly show the effect of ABS on the bike you need to do all the same tests with normal emergency braking, so you can compare the results.

And on just a general video making point, and if it would not get you into any legal trouble, I would use a piece of chalk to mark on the kerb where the bike stops each time. So with each successive test viewers can instantly visually see and compare the different methods of braking

What you may end up with then is a video which not only demonstrates the qualify the ABS on your specific bike, but also demonstrates proper braking making it a useful learning tool.

At the very least, such a video should show why using both brakes together makes such an important difference over using just one of them. If you are using chalk and brake in the order of back, front, then both then each time you will stop shorter of the previous mark making it very clear the braking power of each option.

And, especially with different coloured chalks for ABS and non-ABS braking, it would be interesting to see the difference between the two methods. It should show that having a proper braking technique is better than relying on ABS to save you.
Thanks a lot for leaving such important remarks. I've taking them into consideration and I'm planning to do another test with your suggestions to determine what the differences will be. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts