Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have just joined the forum as I am currently not an owner but am due to test ride one (alongside the NC750s ) as soon as lock down finishes. I've read great things about the whole CB family and my bike would be used for commuting (pretty much all year round) but some longer distance trips up to 200 miles/day. I might renew my IAM test as well. I absolutely love the look of the CBR but would be interested to hear owner's views on a few things, mainly around comfort and all year ease of use and living with it. I am 6ft 1in with 34in inseam and was a bit concerned the CBR would feel too small (a quick sit on one in the showroom it did feel small) but what's it like on longer days and on motorways for example? Also does the higher screen make any difference? The NC750S ticks a lot of the practicality boxes but having owned a series of sports bikes in days gone by (CBR6, VFR etc) it seems to be the CBR which is appealing.I've also heard great things about the X but don't know if I can get used to the looks....Thanks all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The longest ride I've taken my CBR500R on is around 350 miles. By the end of that, my butt was going numb. If you're going to be doing a lot of long range riding I'd look for an aftermarket seat that's more comfortable. For 200 miles or less it hasn't really bothered me much. I'm 5'11, 36in waist and the bike does feel a bit small, but it's not that big of a deal. The OEM windscreen though is utter trash. My neck and shoulders were constantly sore after 150 miles or so from constantly having to fight the wind. I installed a Puig windscreen on mine last year and IMO it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I sport tour on my '14 CBR500r for up to a couple of weeks. I usually plan on 250 to 400 miles per day depending on how much two-lane curvy roads are included. I've been riding for over 55 years and find the cbr to be the most comfortable bike I've had, but I'm a relatively small guy at 5 ft. 5 in. and 150 pounds. I have added a laminar lip to my windscreen to give me less windblast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to own a NC700X and it's a practical bike what with the fuel economy and storage. Later I had a Triumph 800XR, another practical bike. But then I let my heart rule my head and bought a 2019 CBR500R, and wished I'd done it years ago! Puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it (Not much at the moment). So, I would say it depends on how practical you need to be. Personally, I wouldn't put lots of luggage on a CBR

·
Registered
3 Posts
I forgot to mention, I'm the same height as you, and I find the CBR very comfortable, albeit the longest run I've done so far is about 50 miles, due to the lockdown

·
Registered
305 Posts
The longest I have ridden on my 500 F is a day trip to Devon from London, that was 420 miles according to my G.P.S., so it will have registered 430 – 440 miles on the bike's odometer. That was a full day out with plenty of time off the bike, but I had also ridden 330 miles a couple of times when visiting my dad with only petrol stops.

For me the seat does get very uncomfortable at around 100 miles, though I have an inflammatory arthritis. But after trying different options, I found that an air cushion makes all the difference and makes it possible to ride all day long.

Obviously the riding position is different, am I am only 5'8", but my bike is okay on the motorway. You can almost sit there contently for a few hours listening to music over bluetooth, were it not for the traffic. And whilst it may not be the fastest bike, it is still very easy to find yourself following someone in the outside lane (inside lane to Americans) without realizing how fast they were going.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I sport tour on my '14 CBR500r for up to a couple of weeks. I usually plan on 250 to 400 miles per day depending on how much two-lane curvy roads are included. I've been riding for over 55 years and find the cbr to be the most comfortable bike I've had, but I'm a relatively small guy at 5 ft. 5 in. and 150 pounds. I have added a laminar lip to my windscreen to give me less windblast. View attachment 72159
That's a really nice looking touring setup.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I'm same height with same inseam.

On my R, I've done a couple annual trips every year for the last 5 years, spanning 4-7 days of between 2,500-3,000km

Last year I also toured around Europe on an X for 40odd days covering 6,500km

For long distance riding I favour the X with it's more upright seating position plus more comfortable seat, and ability to fit a decent aftermarket screen that significantly reduces wind buffeting.
The R is okay, but the onset from cramped legs come on after a few hours in a static position. I specifically chose the frame sliders with longer pucks so that I can cotch a leg up to give them a stretch for a bit. Fitting the double-bubble screen helped a bit with the wind, the factory one you cop it straight under the chin, a least the aftermarket screen it's more like the forehead to blow over the top; but still not anywhere as good as the one fitted to the X.
As for numb bum syndrome, if the temperature is cool enough, I'll wear gel-padded bicycle lycra shorts under my pants. Otherwise I'll undo the seat and bolt it back down with some dirty clothes folded on top and tucked under the seat (to hold them in place) for some extra cushioning; though have only done that on the R, as the X has a nicer seat.

Happy trails mate, welcome to the community :)

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
I sport tour on my '14 CBR500r for up to a couple of weeks. I usually plan on 250 to 400 miles per day depending on how much two-lane curvy roads are included. I've been riding for over 55 years and find the cbr to be the most comfortable bike I've had, but I'm a relatively small guy at 5 ft. 5 in. and 150 pounds. I have added a laminar lip to my windscreen to give me less windblast.
I like the idea of that screen lip... I have the double-bubble screen but with my extra height it could still do with another inch or two to blow over the helmet. I see Laminar Lip only does them for stock screens, but I something like that wouldn't be hard to knock up with a piece of acrylic, a 'good enough' mould, and in the oven for quick blast.
Thanks for the idea ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems like a lot of us are fairly tall riders, I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam and the bike fits me really well. I think my max distance per day so far was around 300 miles. I was a bit sore the next day but not too bad. 50 miles of the trip was curvy mountain roads and I'm somewhat new to riding so that could have been part of it. I plan to swap out the windscreen for a taller unit at some point since I don't think the OEM screen offers much wind protection for taller riders.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That OEM windscreen is setup for people who are about 5'0". It threw the wind directly into my neck.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I ride a 2016 F. I have toured on it putting in 7 hour days & found it more than adequate. I am 5’10” & weigh 150. I always try to use backroads because of the fun factor. For me the bike in stock gearing feels fine between 65-75 mph, but I don’t like pressing it harder than that
(though I know plenty of folks do).
3290D1C2-B0F6-4866-A016-DF7663130A0D.jpeg

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've ridden my CBR500R 2013 for over 35,000 miles. I purchased a rear 4.0L case on the back for my bike and ordered it from Germany back in 2014 before the accessories even made the US market. I love this bike and it's definitely something you will have to get used to for long trips and take breaks so you can feel your buttox by the time you make your destination. I would buy a corbin seat if they weren't 400 dollars but i have done fine with my bike and love it for it's spirited ride, Amazing fuel economy AVG 70mpg on 2013-2015 models, and the storage makes it very practical for store runs and some daily driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2017 CBR500RA, 100% stock, I'm 5'5" and 145# and a long distance rider. Have ridden this bike from northern Ohio to Weatherford, Texas, just west of Fort Worth, twice. Another trip to Sturgis SD from Ohio. No problems, seat for me is comfortable, maybe the best of the 7 bikes I've had. The Concours was probably better, but I'm a little guy and that was a big bike. I've ridden an NC700X and the weight distribution makes it ride & handle unlike what I'm used to. Not bad, different with the weight of the gas down low. Might be better with more familiarity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my '16 500R a year ago in Florida, and rode it back home to North Carolina the next day (over 570 miles, took me 12 hours with stops). That was my first time spending more than 15 minutes on a motorcycle, and I have no regrets. Everybody I told about my plan tried to talk me out of it, including some seasoned riders who I thought would support my 'adventure'.

But here's my thoughts: This kind of riding 'in my opinion' is in the spirit of motorcycling. It's all part of the adventure of being a rider. You will be uncomfortable perhaps after a few hours, but all you need to do is take an exit somewhere and grab a bite to eat...rest...take bathroom breaks. In reality that's EXACTLY what you'd do if you were taking the same trips in a car, so don't be afraid to go for the adventure. If you're anything like me you'll love having an amazing story to tell later, and you'll be proud of yourself for doing the allegedly impossible.

Do it, and if you're feeling like it's a bad idea...do it a few more times, just to be sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts