Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried undoing the four bolts on the standard number plate holder, I think they are made of cheese and overtightened. It looks like I am going to have to drill them out if I want to fit a tail tidy.The 2018 model has different fixing bolts by the way and nowhere near as tight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just installed a vagabond on my 2019 cbr.I didn't have any trouble with the bolts but the rubber bushings for the signal lights are different then the 2018, they are made from a harder material.had to use a heat gun to get them installed in the cutouts.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just installed a vagabond on my 2019 cbr.I didn't have any trouble with the bolts but the rubber bushings for the signal lights are different then the 2018, they are made from a harder material.had to use a heat gun to get them installed in the cutouts.
Is yours a 19 model or 18. 18 has small black bolts 19 has large stainless button heads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok so i'm not sure what your trying to remove.the bolts that hold the rear fender on are 6x16 button head and use a 5mm allen wrench.they are the same for the 2018/2019.the signal lights however are different in 2019 they are led and mount with different bushings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i'm not sure what your trying to remove.the bolts that hold the rear fender on are 6x16 button head and use a 5mm allen wrench.they are the same for the 2018/2019.the signal lights however are different in 2019 they are led and mount with different bushings.
Yes the 4 5mm button heads I'm trying to remove. No way will they come undone the allan key just turns in the head. I checked a mates 18 plate and they are different all together and they came undone easy.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I got the bolts undone. The first thing I would advise is a new or as new long series alan key bit which will fit a socket set. Tap it with a hammer to make sure it's home because these bolts are very shallow where the alan key fits. Try to undo and if it doesn't budge and turns slightly in the bolt head, try tightening it, if it doesn't budge don't worry because now you have bruised the bolt in both directions.Get yourself a splined 40 long series bit and knock it in firmly with a hammer untold it feels solid, then it will come undone. The bolts on the 19 are the same as the 18 but the depth of the alan key section is very shallow on the 19, and due to the fact my bolts were quite soft I had the problem. Hope this helps someone. By the way I purchased the cheapest tail tidy I could find at £13.79. I will let you know what it's like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I got the bolts undone. The first thing I would advise is a new or as new long series alan key bit which will fit a socket set. Tap it with a hammer to make sure it's home because these bolts are very shallow where the alan key fits. Try to undo and if it doesn't budge and turns slightly in the bolt head, try tightening it, if it doesn't budge don't worry because now you have bruised the bolt in both directions.Get yourself a splined 40 long series bit and knock it in firmly with a hammer untold it feels solid, then it will come undone. The bolts on the 19 are the same as the 18 but the depth of the alan key section is very shallow on the 19, and due to the fact my bolts were quite soft I had the problem. Hope this helps someone. By the way I purchased the cheapest tail tidy I could find at £13.79. I will let you know what it's like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not clever enough to add links and pictures so I will use words instead. Fitted my £12.79 tail tidy from china, it was listed for 2019 but it was not correct. I had to space it out with alloy spacers and then because it did not have any side bracing like most all tail tidys advertised, it was flexing at the number plate so I made a alloy brace which cured the problem. Why did I go to this trouble, because it was very light 2mm stainless and just the bare bones, plus it was the only tail tidy I could find where the flashers mounted right next to the number plate light, which makes it very compact. Unlike most that mount and stick out well past the number plate. I'm pleased with the outcome, after lots of fabricating but don't forget I got my money back also. So when you are looking for a tail tidy double check it fits your model and check the pictures that show it fitted to the bike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ps only disappointment was I checked the number plate light bulb and it's fitted with a halogen bulb, obviously the 2019 bike isn't all led.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts