Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like you are going pay the extra 2 grand & buy the Honda. Welcome aboard. Honda fixed the gas cap issue with my 2016 model. Slipper clutch, sure why not? But not really needed for my personal riding style. I am not going to jam a bunch of downshifts enough to lock up the rear wheel. Gear indicator is a nice thing & plenty of folks add that. Personally a quick glance at the speed vs rpm tells me what gear I am in. I’d like a coolant temp gauge more than anything else. Oh yes & an analogue tach please. We can all dream.....
I really do not care what the bike sounds like (got over that in my 20s). In fact for me the quieter the better. As long as the engine is smooth & delivers power in a usable way, bravo. Having owned thumpers, twins, triples & in-line fours all I can say is they can all be fun. It just depends on the most intended usage. My all time favorite was my 80s Yamaha SR500 single. It was perfect for 90% of the riding I do. Plus super light & adgile. The Honda 500F comes in at a close second & is an all round very user friendly machine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Let's say they both cost the same. Which would you buy?

The 400 Ninja is a performance small displacement bike that holds its own on the track and gets excellent reviews.
The Honda does also and handles well but is more focused on gentlemanly riding IMO.

So, what kind of riding do you do? If your carving the canyons, go for the Ninja.
If there's extended highway, go for the Honda.

But then again, they don't cost the same. There's that $2000 difference. Never mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll just wait for when it goes on sale. The older 2016-2018 are being sold at a discount right now for $4900 around here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Are you going to drive here to buy it?[/QUOTE

No. Certainly not across the country. I'm a little suspicious of a dealer listed price, and not the "out the door" price. They often add freight and set-up costs that make up for the low list price.
Dealers charge freight and prep when they were selling it for MSRP. But here's dealer that doesn't charge freight or setup and still only wants $4900.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a 919 not being smooth.

Lower bars would not be a selling point for me; I like to tour, not race or pose.

Everything else sounds good.

Honda 500s are heavy, compared to similarly sized bikes, but let's remember that they've also got bigger frames and are generally more comfortable.

The power band is perfect on the Honda engine: it makes good power where you can always use it. It revs high enough for a thrill, but without being gutless below 5k. Sometimes, I start to feel like it lacks power, but them I realize I'm not revving it above 6k in my usual suburban riding. Rev it out a bit more and it really satisfies.

I sat on a 2018 Ninja 400 last year, and the seat slopes uncomfortably forward toward the tank. The effect is that in order not to have your nuts crunched all the time, there's a lot of weight on the wrists. Also, the padding is thinner. Lastly, Kawasaki build quality is not up to Honda's level. Little things that a fellow doesn't notice in the dealer, but does notice, years down the road: inferior fairing design, (fussy fasteners), fasteners rust quicker...

Fuel economy does count for something, too. I'm thinking about getting another FJR1300 this year, but going back to 43 mpg is a tough pill to swallow.

When I bought my 2015 CBR500R last year, I also felt like they were too expensive, hence the '15. It was marked down $1600 at a distant dealer. The only thing I miss about a newer one is LED lighting.

I get the same fuel economy on my CBR as I got on my '94 Ninja 250, and a lot more power.

I do miss my PCX150 for local riding, but that rear suspension sure sucked compared to that of a motorcycle.

Long post, but my advice is to either get a used 2016-2018 or wait for used 2019s to show up. Maybe buy one across the country and fly out to get it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was on the fence between a ninja 400 and a cbr500r, i sat on both and for me the cbr was a lot more comfortable. In the end i went with a new leftover 2017 abs it was their display model on a ramp so they added a yoshi fender eliminator already, 5k otd im a happy camper sure it'd be nice to have that new dash and slipper clutch but for the money i saved im ok with it, plus who knows maybe i can swap out the dash for a new one down the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The power band is perfect on the Honda engine: it makes good power where you can always use it. It revs high enough for a thrill, but without being gutless below 5k. Sometimes, I start to feel like it lacks power, but them I realize I'm not revving it above 6k in my usual suburban riding. Rev it out a bit more and it really satisfies.
It can rev higher, and it makes more power all the way to redline!

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, folks in the UK are really getting a rough deal. Ninja 400s with ABS go for about $5300 here.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts