Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I just picked up a 2020 CBR500R and am interested to learn what accessories and upgrades people have put on theirs (2019-2020). I have lot of questions about compatibility for the 2019-2020 bikes with the previous generation (2015-2018) for accessories and upgrades and want to know what has worked for everyone out there.

So far I’ve got the R&G Frame sliders that have worked out nicely.

My Specific questions right now are:
Will a 2018 gen tail tidy/fender eliminator fit properly on a 2019-2020 or have there been design changes to the tail or light assembly?
Are there any tank grips cut specifically for the 2019 bikes? (R&G has some but I can seem to find them anywhere)
Will the 2018 Akrapovic titanium exhaust fit on the 2019-2020?

Thanks for all your input, I’ll make sure to post any mods I make!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can only comment on my experiences, fitted a 2018 Leo Vince exhaust to my 2019 but had to make a longer hanger out of carbon fibre. As for anything else you could check on line for years listings for compatibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
according to vagabond the fender eliminator for 2018 will fit the 2019-20 witch means all other brands should too.as far as exhaust systems there are already threads use search.keep in mind there were over 20 major changes from the 2018 to the 2019.all the plastics are different the rear suspension is total redesign so no parts will be the same.even the battery and air filter are different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can only comment on my experiences, fitted a 2018 Leo Vince exhaust to my 2019 but had to make a longer hanger out of carbon fibre. As for anything else you could check on line for years listings for compatibility.
Nice! I work in manufacturing and I’ve got no problem making custom brackets/hangers or stuff like that. I’ve just found there’s a lack of good info out there for compatibility. My suspicion is that most 2018 exhausts would would fit on a 2019.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
according to vagabond the fender eliminator for 2018 will fit the 2019-20 witch means all other brands should too.as far as exhaust systems there are already threads use search.keep in mind there were over 20 major changes from the 2018 to the 2019.all the plastics are different the rear suspension is total redesign so no parts will be the same.even the battery and air filter are different.
Awesome thanks a lot. Woh I did not realize there were so many changes for the 2019 update. I thought it was just some engine tuning, lower bars and aesthetic changes...I’ll do my best to look through the other threads for more info on the exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome thanks a lot. Woh I did not realize there were so many changes for the 2019 update. I thought it was just some engine tuning, lower bars and aesthetic changes...I’ll do my best to look through the other threads for more info on the exhaust.
Did you just get the sliders/spools for the swing arm? Or did you get the front ones too? Im just wondering because i haven't found anything for the frame sliders up front that wont require hacking into my beautiful fairings... I just picked up a 2019 myself the week before last with just one mile on it when i took ownership

·
Registered
253 Posts
J the J. Congrats on the new bike. I'm with you.. I'd never cut into the OEM body work. I have a link below that shows some add-ons and protective ideas for your bike. None of it requires alteration of the body. They're made to work around it, or through the gaps. If you care to look, the site offers install videos so you see how the add-ons attach and fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you just get the sliders/spools for the swing arm? Or did you get the front ones too? Im just wondering because i haven't found anything for the frame sliders up front that wont require hacking into my beautiful fairings... I just picked up a 2019 myself the week before last with just one mile on it when i took ownership
Nice, congrats! I’ve got 1500kms on mine so far and I’m absolutely loving it. I only got the R&G front sliders which do not require any modification to the fairing.

There’s a 3 point mounted bracket that provides a mounting point for the slider to stick out behind the fairing. I agree this bike is too beautiful to cut into. I did not get the rear spools however I may down the road if I take this bike to the track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys! Its the first brand new motor vehicle i have ever bought. It's just so beautiful, i couldnt resist!

nice! ok, cool. I will definitely check that out. I saw the R&G sliders you were talking about, they look to be pretty nice for sure. I do want to make sure i get this thing as protected as i can without taking too much away from the exquisite view these things provide. Especially since the main task that this bike will be performing is getting me as comfortable as i used to be and that likely means that i will be pushing this and my ability pretty hard sometimes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my first post I promised that I'd record the accessories I put on my 2020 CBR500R because of the lack of clarity on what AM parts will fit on the 2019-2020 generation of this bike. Well I've done a few things that I'd like to share:

1. R&G Racing Sliders - Install included removing both fairings, 1 engine mount bolt per side and 2 engine case SHCS per side. About 2 hours. Less if you've removed the fairings before.
2. Yoshimura Fender eliminator - I purchased the kit that was designed for the 2018 CBR500R and it fit perfectly, easy install, about 1 hour
3. Akrapovic Steel finished Slip On Exhaust - Part number S-H5SO3-HRSS, full description:16-18 Honda CBR 500R Akrapovic Slip-On Exhaust Stainless/Carbon Fiber. First of all let me say that this exhaust is beautifully made and with the baffle out sounds absolutely perfect for my taste (which is not too loud). I will do a decibel reading when I have the time but you can easily ride comfortably without earplugs but still hear it at higher speeds. With the baffle in it is the same volume as stock just a little more base. I bought this item from Bayside Performance in Vancouver Canada and again it was the 2018 model. HOWEVER, this is where I ran into some issues. The hanger on this exhaust is welded in place and did not quite line up with my 2020 bike (see pic) so I had to make a small bracket and extra bolt to bridge the gap. Everything else fits perfectly. (Note: Akrapovic currently only offers the full carbon fibre finished option for the 2020 so unless your willing to make a bracket that's your only choice)
4. TechSpech 5-pc Tank grips - Wow what a difference, way more control while stopping/entering corners. Straight forward install. Comes with side grips and tank protector. Highly recommend. See pictures.
5. I also have a Kriega US-20 (20 litre) tail bag that fits perfectly on the pillion and mounts up well under the pillion seat. There's US-30 option as well but i think that would be too big.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks good! I think I'll end up doing the tank grips as my passenger often uses the tank to stabilize under braking. Looks like those ones cover it pretty well.

And hello from the glorious capital! Just got a 2019 CBR500R in red this spring as well. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts