Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How loose or tight are they suppose to be?

My throttle side bar end weight can move freely if i try to rotate it with hand but if i try to unscrew it it wont budge - i am doing it manually usually philips screw driver

I dont think it will come out but

My clutch side bar end weight on the other hand is super tight, i cant move it freely with bare hands, i can probably unscrew it with an impact wrench or driver

So i am super confused are they suppose to not move at all or there is some free play expected?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
How loose or tight are they suppose to be?

My throttle side bar end weight can move freely if i try to rotate it with hand but if i try to unscrew it it wont budge - i am doing it manually usually philips screw driver

I dont think it will come out but

My clutch side bar end weight on the other hand is super tight, i cant move it freely with bare hands, i can probably unscrew it with an impact wrench or driver

So i am super confused are they suppose to not move at all or there is some free play expected?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2019 bike same as yours. My mates just fitted some handlebar muffs, one side unscrewed the other side didn't. He ended up breaking that one. Why do you want to remove bar ends. Some people use an impact driver to impa the screw. I think the correct way to remove bar ends is to remove the whole assembly as a unit and hold it in a vice .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not want to unscrew them at all

I was at a track day and one of the guys at tech inspection pointed this item to me - that the bar end weight is loose on throttle side and he was concerned it might come off and my throttle will all screw up!

But trust me that **** screw is not coming off

He asked me to tighten it using Philip's screwdriver and i miserably failed

I was very tempted to use an impact wrench but i have not yet so far due to the fear of breaking the screw because even with the impact wrench it just does not come off easily

·
Registered
253 Posts
They can be a bugger to break loose. I've had good luck by wrapping the bar end with a small piece of rubber, similar to what you'd use in the kitchen to uncap a jar, so as not to mar the bar end. Then hold that with a pair of vice grip pliers, while using a screwdriver to loosen the bolt. You may have to resort to a hand held impact screw driver, but I've never needed one. It may help to be able to see what's inside the bar end and how they're assembled. I have a How-to video if you care to see it. It's for a 2017-2018 CB500x, but you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing this is very helpful!

One followup question though - are bar end weights suppose to have no play? Are they suppose to be really tight? Or some play is expected?

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
On the 500F models the bar ends move freely. Instead of the traditional design of the bold compressing a rubber stopper to grip the inside of the bars, there is a weight within the bars which is held in place by a clip. So as you turn the bar end you just rotating the inner weight.

There are little holes in the bars to hold the clips in place, and these are what stop the bar ends (and weights) from coming free. To remove the bar ends you need to hold them still while you turn the bolt, so that it turns against the inner weight, otherwise trying to twist the bold simply rotates the full assembly.

Despite the different type of bars, the CBR500R uses the same system with an inner weight so I would assume the bar ends should also move freely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts