Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2 part question. I came outside to get on my bike the other day and the rear axle was hanging and about fell off. The larger nut(muffler side) was gone a long with the washer.
Good thing I checked this time!

First, do the nuts need to be tightened after having new wheels put on?? I'd say no more than 100 miles ago I had new tires put on.
If not, that means someone intentionally loosened the nut...or it was not properly tightened when the wheels were changed.

Second part- All I need is the nut and washer. I ordered a new axle assembly but I'd rather keep it for back up. What exactly is the size of the nut? 16mm ID? I got that size but It won't thread properly. Does anybody know the correct thread size?
My bike never came with a manual & I thought to give this a try before searching the web.

Thanks in advance!!!
2017 CBR500RH

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Wow! I'd say definitely the tyre shop stuffed up on that one! The nut is (should have been) tightened to 84Nm - there's sfa chance of the thing just working itself lose.
Sorry can't help you with the nut size, my bike's in another country at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I'd say definitely the tyre shop stuffed up on that one! The nut is (should have been) tightened to 84Nm - there's sfa chance of the thing just working itself lose.
Sorry can't help you with the nut size, my bike's in another country at the moment.
Yeah, of course they won't accept responsibility. Called them today to see if they had the extra parts laying around and told them about it.
"Someone loosened it or locking mechanism failed"🤨

I'm just thankful I caught it before hitting the road.
Parts are otw- just waiting now.
Thanks for the response!

Are you waiting on your bike or just on vaca?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Are you waiting on your bike or just on vaca?
Yeah, of course they'll blame whatever can get them out of the, the f<kers! 😕

Bike is TBA, going up be loving in Spain for a while, not sure when I'll be going back but it's at a friend's for the time being of going back happens sooner than later. But I'm starting to think I'll probably end up getting him to sell it for me in my behalf 😥

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to note, I believe the nut has a locking feature built into it, and is different from a typical hardware nut. There is a thin "collar" on the outer side of the threads.

On parts diagrams, it's described as "NUT, U FLANGE (16MM)", with part # 90306-MGZ-J01.

The 2013-2015 service manual lists the torque spec as 88Nm (65 lb-ft). Did it change in subsequent years?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts