Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Nakhon Si Thamarat, Thailand. I need some advice on what I need to upgrade my Bike. So far the suspension and brakes are stock. I notice when I lean into a turn the bike wallows a bit. I weigh 190 and I have panniers. I would not mind raising the bike a bit. Also a steering stabilizer would be good. Any advice will be welcome.
Thanks

· Registered
98 Posts
My bought-new 2017 CB-500F had (for me) horrible seating and suspension. I'm very light and the CB is my 85th bike in as many years and I'm really fussy about how a bike rides and sits. I had Russell "Day Long" seats in the US build a wonderful seat on the rider's seat pan and two years later it's proven to be worth every penny of its $500 (with shipping and tax) cost. You could find a local upholsterer to make a much better seat if you have some photos of Russell Seats (on their Website).

As to the suspension, my forks were good "as is" but the rear shock didn't budge under my 61 kilos and I had Wilbers in Germany (a tiny shop) make up a shock for my weight and riding habits. It cost almost $700 USD and again it was worth every penny.

The Honda CB-500 series, including your X model, is a very solid, reliable bike and incredibly light on fuel use (I average over 70 miles per US gallon). It is certainly worth the money for an upgraded seat and suspension. I had never before owned a bike made in Thailand and I have been thoroughly impressed by the quality of workmanship.

I'm happy with the brakes as they are. I am not a hard rider. Old bones heal slowly, if indeed they heal at all!

Ralph

1 - 2 of 2 Posts