Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks.
Long time biker just moved to a CB500F and loving it. But, I found that my headlight flash/pass light wasn't working.

(Additional information - On the many other bikes I have owned, when my headlight flash/pass light wasn't working, replacing the main bulb fixed this, so this is why I'm looking for info on replacing the headlight bulb. But doing this may not be the correct solution in this case as CB500F model headlights were upgraded to LED's in 2016).

(unlike many other bikes, there is no large round rubber protective boot to take off which gives you direct access to the bulb)

I have the headlight unit separated from the metal support frame and all I can see on the black plastic rear headlight housing are the two screws for adjusting the headlight beam direction. There are several clips around the edge of the headlight lense which 'seem' to attach it to the afore mentioned black plastic rear housing. That's it.

I have tried separating the clips and inserting the end of a screw driver to increase the join gap as I move round and unclip more of them but there is no separation movement to the extent that the screw driver is indenting the edges of the plastic as I turn the flat end of the screwdriver slightly to split the two halves.

It has taken me 2 days to get to this point lol. Please, if anyone has done this replacement themselves could you give me a clue as to my next move, I'm at a complete loss - I would be eternally grateful.

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
You definitely DO NOT split the casing to change the bulbs!
On the back where the bulb is there is a large circle a few inches across with a couple wires going into it... that's the socket to the bulb.
If you don't see the plug, then there may be a circular cover (like on the R) to unscrew first.
Once unplugged it should be self-explanatory from there how to remove and replace the bulb..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi tothezenith - thank you very much for responding to my question. What you suggested should make sense, but there may be something different about my headlight unit. I took photos which may illustrate the problem better than my written description.

Pic 1 shows the rear of the headlight unit with rubber grommet in place with wires going through
Pic 2 shows the grommet removed to reveal the cable going through the grommet and disappearing into the housing and also shows part, the edge of a pcb.
Pic 3 shows the bulb (which I checked online against this model and it was supposed to fit) next to the grommet apperture - the metal base/flange of the bulb is larger than the apperture itself and so it would be impossible to fit this bulb through it, and also, you can see that there is nowhere to plug the bulb into even if I could get it through

As I said, I have fitted bulbs to many many bikes but never seen this arrangement before. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
Hi tothezenith - thank you very much for responding to my question. What you suggested should make sense, but there may be something different about my headlight unit. I took photos which may illustrate the problem better than my written description.
Pic 1 shows ...
Wait... take a step back. Are you positive you got the right information regarding the bulb? I was of the impression that the F came with LED headlights from 2016 onwards.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It does, and as far as Honda is concerned the whole headlamp assembly is a single unit.

I am not clear whether it is just the flash-to-pass feature that is not working, or the lamp doe not light at all (both beams), but the first thing to check would be the electrical connection. Otherwise being an LED unit it is expensive to replace.

The headlamp part number is 33100-MJW-J41 (2016–18) and 33100-MJW-J42 (2019–20). The quality of the headlamp was improved in 2019, and those part codes make it sound like it is just an upgraded part. So it might also be compatible with the older models, though I am only guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information folks. You are correct. Getting info from the various parts interweb can be so misleading sometimes. I ended up calling the local (Glasgow) Honda dealership who informed me as you kindly have, the it is a sealed beam unit, similar to many cars now. And it is around £400+ to purchase - dear god...(I'm going to buy an acryllic lense protector !)
Someone - I'll begin investigating the wiring and the switch, as you suggest. This seems a more likely culprit to the non-working pass light. I could do without it, but it would just be nice to have it working.

Thank you very much for your assistance

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use my flash to pass feature all the time when meeting other bikers, it makes me feel famous. On my little bike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you always done that ADIOS600? It is something I had not seen anyone do until about a year ago, but suddenly everyone seemed be doing it whilst I am still nodding like we used to do in the olden days of 2018.

I am not sure I have ever actually used my flash-to-pass other than to test it occasionally. Even when a car flashes to let me out I will wave or nod in thanks.

Warmvalve - if it turns out your assembly is broken, it may be worth looking on eBay as there are usually breakers selling off parts. Unless a bike was written-off due to a head-on crash, there is a good chance the headlamp should still be in good condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Someone - so, the faulty pass light. Turns out that it's the switch itself. I sprayed WD into it and it's working 99 times out of 100, well, 44 times out of 50 tries, and that will do.
One thing though, on checking the price of a new headlight unit, I found that it was £400+ and imagined a stone being fired up from a car tyre and goiing through the lens, so I ordered a perspex lens protector. Pay £20 to protect £400 ? - absolutely.
Thanks for the info someone

·
Registered
290 Posts
I never thought about a protector, but it is a good idea. I am pretty sure I have scratches and dints from stones. Although if it is just a crack you could use some lens tape as a cheap repair, which is legal so long as it still meets the usual requirements such as no red visible on the front, no white on the rear etc.

That still sounds a bit strange that the switch to working all the time, maybe there is just still some dirt in there that will get worked out over time? At £180 to replace, because it is also part of an assembly, that is a ridiculously expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, ordered the protector from Ebay vendor. At £20, it's cheap insurance. I went on YT and watched people with handlebar switchgear problems, take them apart and clean contact points to fix intermittent problems.

The pass light isn't essential, but for me, if anything is on the bike it needs to be working. If I get more problems with it, I'll dismantle and clean the switch/contacts myself. At nearly £200 for the assembly I'd try everything else before I paid that.

Weather's crap up here in Scotland, so I'm taking the opportunity to do the pass light, put new brake fluid in back and front, re-tension and clean and lube chain etc.

My last several bikes were big litre+, and last one was xvs1300 cruiser (panniers,screen, footboards etc). It was great and all but see getting back to a smaller, lighter no frills basic bike, it's brought me back to really enjoying biking again.

With the the other big bikes and the cruiser, you knew that if you went down, you would go down hard and expensive, you had to plan maneuvers way way ahead just because of the rolling mass of the bikes, be very concious of the lean angles (certainly of the cruiser) etc, but with the cb500f, you can get back to just chucking it around - I'm 63, so when I say 'chucking it around' I don't mean like a 20 year old with something to prove would lol, but you know, within my abilities.

Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you always done that ADIOS600? It is something I had not seen anyone do until about a year ago, but suddenly everyone seemed be doing it whilst I am still nodding like we used to do in the olden days of 2018.

I am not sure I have ever actually used my flash-to-pass other than to test it occasionally. Even when a car flashes to let me out I will wave or nod in thanks.

Warmvalve - if it turns out your assembly is broken, it may be worth looking on eBay as there are usually breakers selling off parts. Unless a bike was written-off due to a head-on crash, there is a good chance the headlamp should still be in good condition.
Hi someone no I used to wave or nod, now I have this bike with led headlamp I feel a bit more famous,so I suppose I am showing the bike off lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes, ordered the protector from Ebay vendor. At £20, it's cheap insurance. I went on YT and watched people with handlebar switchgear problems, take them apart and clean contact points to fix intermittent problems.

The pass light isn't essential, but for me, if anything is on the bike it needs to be working. If I get more problems with it, I'll dismantle and clean the switch/contacts myself. At nearly £200 for the assembly I'd try everything else before I paid that.

Weather's crap up here in Scotland, so I'm taking the opportunity to do the pass light, put new brake fluid in back and front, re-tension and clean and lube chain etc.

My last several bikes were big litre+, and last one was xvs1300 cruiser (panniers,screen, footboards etc). It was great and all but see getting back to a smaller, lighter no frills basic bike, it's brought me back to really enjoying biking again.

With the the other big bikes and the cruiser, you knew that if you went down, you would go down hard and expensive, you had to plan maneuvers way way ahead just because of the rolling mass of the bikes, be very concious of the lean angles (certainly of the cruiser) etc, but with the cb500f, you can get back to just chucking it around - I'm 63, so when I say 'chucking it around' I don't mean like a 20 year old with something to prove would lol, but you know, within my abilities.

Cheers
Keep chucking it about Warmvalve you know you want to 👍

·
Registered
290 Posts
Today was not a great day in London either, but it makes no difference as I have not even seen my bike since March 22nd. It was obvious a lockdown was coming so I made sure to get a ride in before it happened by going to, erm, Bournemouth. I may have inadvertently started something! But things were different in the olden days, it was not that busy and everyone there was distancing.

After I got back I just put a cover on it knowing it would be a while, then when the government confirmed at least twelve weeks of shielding I cancelled the tax too. So when I am able to ride again it will almost certainly need the battery bringing inside to put on the trickle charger, hopefully the chain will not have rusted over, and it may also need an MOT as well as taxing before it can be ridden again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi folks.
Long time biker just moved to a CB500F and loving it. But, I found that my headlight flash/pass light wasn't working.

(Additional information - On the many other bikes I have owned, when my headlight flash/pass light wasn't working, replacing the main bulb fixed this, so this is why I'm looking for info on replacing the headlight bulb. But doing this may not be the correct solution in this case as CB500F model headlights were upgraded to LED's in 2016).

(unlike many other bikes, there is no large round rubber protective boot to take off which gives you direct access to the bulb)

I have the headlight unit separated from the metal support frame and all I can see on the black plastic rear headlight housing are the two screws for adjusting the headlight beam direction. There are several clips around the edge of the headlight lense which 'seem' to attach it to the afore mentioned black plastic rear housing. That's it.

I have tried separating the clips and inserting the end of a screw driver to increase the join gap as I move round and unclip more of them but there is no separation movement to the extent that the screw driver is indenting the edges of the plastic as I turn the flat end of the screwdriver slightly to split the two halves.

It has taken me 2 days to get to this point lol. Please, if anyone has done this replacement themselves could you give me a clue as to my next move, I'm at a complete loss - I would be eternally grateful.
I own a 2019 CB500F and there is no flash to pass feature/ switch unless your talking about high beam/low beam switch so I'm a bit confused

·
Registered
57 Posts
Flash to pass switch is regional and not part of US design rules, so yeah you guys don't get that button in the switch assembly ;)
I do have a Pass button on the left handlebar assembly. I don't know how or when to use it. Driving tests (theory and practice) to get a driving license are quite hard in Spain, and never in them anything is said about the "pass signal". So not only I don't know how to use it, also I wouldn't know its meaning if I got a "pass signal" aimed at me.

Well, now that I think of it: in the learning course, we are told that to signal danger or to call attention, you can use a fast flash of the high beam instead of the claxon. Therefore, I someone gave me a "pass signal" I would probably interpret that as a "hey, danger ahead!" signal.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Technically that is how it is supposed to work in the U.K.

We have something called the Highway Code that are a set of rules for using public roads. It applies to everyone, including pedestrians and horse riders. Some of the rules describe laws, others are just guidelines but a court will consider ignoring them as evidence of carelessness.

It is a prerequisite of a driving licence that you are supposed to have read it and will keep up to date with it. But very few do, and though there is a theory test as part of getting a licence it only covers the basics.

This is rule 110: "Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users."

However most people do this to "flash to pass." For example, you are waiting to turn out of a junction, an approaching vehicle might slow down to give you time and space to leave so will flash the headlamp to let you know that is what they are doing. Technically this is the opposite of what the rule says, as indicating your presence is meant as a warning in case you have not been seen to stop someone proceeding.

Another use of flashing the headlamp can be to warn oncoming vehicles that the police are ahead looking for speeders, though that seems to be rare now. But last year I suddenly started seeing bikers use it as ADISO600 describes, just as a greeting to a passing biker. Which really confused me as to whether they were warning abut something like the police ahead, but there was never anything there.

Traditionally bikers in the U.K. would nod as they pass each other. Because we drive on the left side of the road, our waving hand is on the wrong side of our bodies. Not all bikers acknowledge others, and it is not done in big towns and cities where you see a lot of bikes. Some do wave instead, maybe those from other countries, but I always nod.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts