Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Black 2016 CBR500R ABS in Black and I love it to death, however I hate to keep a bike stock so what are some easy mods I can do right now???
Here are some mods I want to do however not sure what brand to go with
I'm looking for a USB and a cigarette charger to run in the bike.
A gear shift indicater
Adjustable Clutch levers
An aftermarket exhaust
Fender Eliminator
GPS holder (don't need the actual GPS) and phone holder
Tank Pad

Please give me any information you can and hopefully this thread can help out other newbies too!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Congrats on the bike and an excellent colour choice.

Reactions: Ben

·
Registered
371 Posts
@Ryan Wu
Congrats on the bike mate.
Once you start with even the most basic mod, you will get carried away.
Take it from me, I started with only wanting an OEM seat cowl lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would suggest that you first ride and get to know bike a bit, then see what mods you actually NEED, and then do them.

Tank pad is a must.
I also initially thought I would need gear indicator, but figured out it would be useless addition after few thousand kilometers and learning rev ranges.
If you do fender eliminator, it would throw lots of dirt on your back in wet conditions.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Pre-load adjusters for front, levers and rim tape are quick easy ways to do some first mods. All worth doing, can be changed back easily and all three will cost less than $100 AUD together.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have a black 2015 R. I put on a GPR Furore Nero exhaust. Hardly anyone has them here, but I love it, looks good, sounds good, and 1/2 price of a Yoshi R77

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just got my Black 2016 CBR500R ABS in Black and I love it to death, however I hate to keep a bike stock so what are some easy mods I can do right now???
Here are some mods I want to do however not sure what brand to go with
I'm looking for a USB and a cigarette charger to run in the bike.
A gear shift indicater
Adjustable Clutch levers
An aftermarket exhaust
Fender Eliminator
GPS holder (don't need the actual GPS) and phone holder
Tank Pad

Please give me any information you can and hopefully this thread can help out other newbies too!
I did all of these mods within the first 5kms. Everything is name brand except the Chinese brake/clutch levers. They are actually illegal here because they aren't certified, but I'll switch them back before my inspection I also have a usb/12v charger installed which I have to mention because the original position near the handlebars were causing shorts, but I fixed that by moving it under the seat. It actually looks much nicer there. Just something to think about if you do all the things I've done. I'm still looking for more upgrades but can't think of anything else. Happy riding!

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
How do you like the exhaust note on your '16? The reason I ask is because for 2016, Honda put a better-looking (and from what I understand, better-sounding) exhaust. For those of us with 2013-15 models, an aftermarket exhaust was a must; the one Honda saw fit to equip the bike with looked like a piece of HVAC ducting and made the bike sound like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I don't mind the sound of it, it sounds like a grumpy mean growl however I do prefer an aftermarket one, looking into a coffman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love the bike was wondering where you got the rim tape from??? I want that exact same one but can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love the bike was wondering where you got the rim tape from??? I want that exact same one but can't seem to find it.
The rim reflecting tape was on the bike as standard when I got it. The first thing I got rid of was that stock muffler and other things followed before it was deemed road ready by me

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do you like the exhaust note on your '16? The reason I ask is because for 2016, Honda put a better-looking (and from what I understand, better-sounding) exhaust. For those of us with 2013-15 models, an aftermarket exhaust was a must; the one Honda saw fit to equip the bike with looked like a piece of HVAC ducting and made the bike sound like a sewing machine.

I removed the original exhaust right away because it looks hideous and is heavier than a baby elephant. I can honestly say that not a single person on the streets of Germany ever saw me riding around with that stock muffler. The new carbon fiber exhaust sounds and looks better. People look up (and at you) when they hear you coming. It was a nice improvement and after 2500kms I have no regrets. I simply cannot ride/drive anything without modifying it :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Karl, I also have a 20017 500R, and I have to agree with you that the OE exhaust is much nicer. However, like many others, I decided to change. The sound was very muted due to regulations.
I installed a Yoshi R77. This is the same model pipe I had on my 300R. On this bike, the sound was extremely loud, and I felt uncomfortable starting it up early mornings, with the baffle in. Take it out and my god is it loud.
The 500R by comparison is much more quite. I have my baffles out on this bike. Don't get me wrong, there is a loverly burble on tick over, but this never gets much louder.
I believe the reason for this is that the cat stays in the header pipes on the 500, where I think the 300 has the cat in the end can.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 2016 exhaust may be an improvement over previous years but it's still much too large my tastes. I tried an Italian made Giannelli X-Pro exhaust. It's smaller and lighter and lets you know its there in a polite way.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Karl, I also have a 20017 500R, and I have to agree with you that the OE exhaust is much nicer. However, like many others, I decided to change. The sound was very muted due to regulations.
I installed a Yoshi R77. This is the same model pipe I had on my 300R. On this bike, the sound was extremely loud, and I felt uncomfortable starting it up early mornings, with the baffle in. Take it out and my god is it loud.
The 500R by comparison is much more quite. I have my baffles out on this bike. Don't get me wrong, there is a loverly burble on tick over, but this never gets much louder.
I believe the reason for this is that the cat stays in the header pipes on the 500, where I think the 300 has the cat in the end can.
A 300 is louder than a 500?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a 2013 CBR500 and a 2017. Newest exhaust is better but still not that great. That's probably the first thing you ought to change. For both look and sound, it's, a great upgrade. Pazzo makes adjustable levers. I've used ASG and others but Pazzo is a little cheaper and has the hinge that makes them survivable if you drop the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts