Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked this bike up a couple of days ago. Under 2000km, the price was right and it came with full gear and some mods so I pulled the trigger as I was only searching for this colour in this year as they got rid of it here in 2017 and I did not want a 13-15 for a couple of reasons.

Came with a yoshimura muffler as well as tidy tail, Ram phone mount etc. I'd like to get flush mount signals for the front but having trouble finding any, the ones I do find are always for 13-15. As time goes on this season and I get a feel for the bike I will slowly upgrade it. Insurance here is brutal so I won't be making the jump to a supersport anytime soon

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
Black is best
I have the 2015 which I prefer the look of but can totally appreciate this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Better to go with the 2016, as you say for several reasons. That was the reason I purchased a new 2016 because of the changes were more then just cosmetics. For one they upgraded both front and rear suspension.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you need pretty colours on your bike to add some excitement to your life then you’re living your life the wrong way.
Black is best bcs it does not try hard, and those who appreciate that concept don’t have to either.

Reactions: raphaelmckitrick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I like the more subtle look, as soon as I got a look at one in person I knew that was the only colour I was going to pull the trigger on. Now to get a rear seat cowl and remove the passenger foot pegs

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you need pretty colours on your bike to add some excitement to your life then you’re living your life the wrong way.
Black is best bcs it does not try hard, and those who appreciate that concept don’t have to either.

Or.... a boring bike shows a lack of imagination and you perhaps needs a little excitement in your life before you vanish into oblivion without anyone even noticing.

Black is boring, you are correct it doesn't try hard, it doesn't have to - because you really don't have to try hard to be booooooring and those who appreciate that concept are just as booooooring and perhaps just lazy?

Be a drone - get a boring black bike like everyone else.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Looks great! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome aboard!

Regarding the rear footrests, I removed the left completely and just pulled the footpeg out of the mount on the right and left the nice, beefy exhaust mount in place. Parts are cheap on these, so if I were making this a permanent setup, I was planning to just cut off the footrest perch and heel guard (carefully and with nice aesthetics in mind, of course) and get it black perhaps. All the exhaust hangers I've seen are flimsy as heck, so this seemed an expedient solution that, should I wish to do so, would be cheap to undo.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Well said, I totally agree, and LOVE my flat black 2016 500F.

Reactions: hillscbr

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks great! Congrats on the purchase, and welcome aboard!

Regarding the rear footrests, I removed the left completely and just pulled the footpeg out of the mount on the right and left the nice, beefy exhaust mount in place. Parts are cheap on these, so if I were making this a permanent setup, I was planning to just cut off the footrest perch and heel guard (carefully and with nice aesthetics in mind, of course) and get it black perhaps. All the exhaust hangers I've seen are flimsy as heck, so this seemed an expedient solution that, should I wish to do so, would be cheap to undo.

Happy riding.
That's a great tip, thanks! I never thought of just removing the footpeg on the right. Gonna do that right away...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congratulations. If you like black, that is all that matters. I think gloss black looks great on the Vincent Black Shadow, Harleys, some Harley clones, and the 8 ball. Dull/flat/matte black looks great on exhaust header pipes, bbqs, and rat bikes. I waited and paid more to get a red CB500F. Different strokes, right? It's all good. Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts

Here’s someone who appreciates black.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Here’s someone who appreciates a bit of colour. Who do you identify with?

Reactions: Davcos and Bumpa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the welcome. Everyone has their own opinion and preference, which is why they offer these in a few different colours. I have enough colour in the driveway with a blue Tacoma and yellow Xterra lol.

As for rear peg delete I was looking at the R&G kit, not sure how sturdy the exhaust mount is though but I have possibly found an OEM rear seat cowl for a great price

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Got to be honest, although I acknowledge black is generally a very popular color for motorcycles, it would be one of the last colors I'd choose (had a black car once - never again). HOWEVER, I'm intrigued by the flat finish. I know others have experimented with flat colors on cars using Plastidip, but IMO it makes the most most sense to use flat finishes with black. I could see this as a factory option for some cars/trucks/bikes. I say all this to provide context when I say, your bike looks pretty good as is! All the current upgrades look right, and to the untrained eye might even look stock. I have a '14, and have always thought the '16+ style changes were on-point. A little jealous, but then again I've put a lot of effort into fixing shifting and suspension, much of which is a bit improved to start with on yours.

Enjoy your bike!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts