Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2015 Honda CBR1000RR SP Review

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Rock Ape 
#1 ·

This is a difficult position to be in for both me and Honda. We’ve a superbike shootout pitting the CBR1000RR SP against the likes of newer, technological-laden weapons from Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Kawasaki and Yamaha, where the CBR is predisposed not to win that competition. But yet I’m about to give the bike a fairly glowing review with an individual score that may be higher than its shootout score.

How’s this possible? Let’s clarify that this a street test conducted within the bubble of a single-bike review judging the Honda on its own merits. That being said, and having ridden most of the bikes in our forthcoming superbike shootout, I’ll wager the Honda holds its own against the others.

I have to admit that not having all the technological distractions with which most superbikes are equipped was a refreshing experience. Just hop on, maybe adjust the levers and mirrors, and off you go – no power modes, TC, launch control or other settings to check or change. From there on the Honda’s flagship superbike provides a riding experience that can best be described as pure.

What Makes A 2015 CBR1000RR An SP Model?
061815-2015-Honda-CBR1000RRSP-action-9607

43mm Öhlins NIX30 inverted fork, fully adjustable
Unit Pro-Link Öhlins shock, fully adjustable
Brembo M4 front brakes with four-piston calipers and 320mm floating rotors
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC tires
Lightweight subframe
Solo seat cowl
New cylinder head, intake tract, and exhaust system
Special pistons and connecting rods
New handlebar positioning and relocated footpegs
Bubble windscreen
Repsol paint scheme in choice of Marc Marquez or Dani Pedrosa numbers
Brakes aren’t of the M50 variety, but the radial-mount, monobloc Brembo M4s provide all the stopping power you can ask for on the street. In fact, the feel at the front brake lever is some of the best I’ve recently encountered. For street use, ABS would be a welcome addition but is available only on European models.
Brakes aren’t of the M50 variety, but the radial-mount, monobloc Brembo M4s provide all the stopping power you can ask for on the street. In fact, the feel at the front brake lever is some of the best I’ve recently encountered. For street use, ABS would be a welcome addition but is available only on European models.
When we last strapped a non-SP CBR1K to a dyno it produced 144.3 hp at 10,400 rpm and 74.6 lb-ft at 7500 rpm. With the SP’s hand-selected pistons and connecting rods (for complementary balance and weight), as well as an improved cylinder head, intake and exhaust tracts since our last dyno run, the SP should be outputting at least minimally more power. We’ll follow up with full dyno numbers in our shootout. I’m happy to report that the prevalence of TC elsewhere hasn’t dulled my ability to control this amount of power with only my brain and wrist.

The 999cc inline-Four mill powering the CBR1000RR SP is virtually vibe-free save some minor seat tingling found mostly in the mid-range. Power off the very bottom isn’t the engine’s strong point, but once out of the basement the CBR rushes forward with no discernible flat spots. Throttle manipulation is also pretty spot-on without the abruptness sometimes associated with fuel-injected bikes.

Resplendent in its Repsol racing livery, 2015 CBR1000RR SPs come in your choice of Marc Marquez or Dani Pedrosa numbers.
Resplendent in its Repsol racing livery, 2015 CBR1000RR SPs come in your choice of Marc Marquez or Dani Pedrosa numbers.
The 43mm fully adjustable inverted Öhlins fork and TTX shock are the stars of this SP show. Massaged and valved to Honda’s specifications, the units provide the kind of suppleness and control only expensive, top-shelf suspension units can. In their stock settings on the street there’s not much, if anything, to complain about. Once we get the CBR on the track, we’ll see just how well these Öhlins units stack up against the suspensions of the other participants.

Since we last tested the CBR1K, Honda revised its seating position by moving the footpegs 10mm rearward, and the clip-ons angled five degrees lower and spread out five degrees more. While this doesn’t enhance its level of streetable comfort, it should result in better ergonomics for track riding. The seat’s also said to be a little firmer than it was before, but without an older model with which to compare, it’s impossible to know for sure. However, the seat didn’t seem necessarily hard, as neither me nor photographer-along-for-the-ride, Evans Brasfield, noted any complaints about seat rigidity.

The gear-position indicator at the bottom left is a nod to modern convention, but otherwise the digital instrument cluster is devoid of all the information cluttering the readouts of R1s, RSVs, Panigale’s and the like.
The gear-position indicator at the bottom left is a nod to modern convention, but otherwise the digital instrument cluster is devoid of all the information cluttering the readouts of R1s, RSVs, Panigale’s and the like.
With all the talk of the CBR’s barren wardrobe of technology, it should be noted that the bike does come equipped with a slipper clutch. It’s a welcome rider aid that helps during aggressive street riding, but it’ll be appreciated even more when circulating at track speeds where aggression level are higher than those on the street.

061815-2015-Honda-CBR1000RRSP-beauty-9620

+ Highs
Faster than the RC213V-S
Purity of performance
Awesome for Marquez and Pedrosa fans
– Sighs
Technologically uncompetitive
More expensive than a YZF-R1
All-around outdatedness
For all those purists out there, the 2015 CBR1000RR SP, or it’s non-SP stablemate, may be your last chance to purchase a brand new literbike without all the techno gadgetry. And while the CBR may be a tough sell against the likes of Yamaha’s R1 and its technological arsenal, you can look at it as the CBR1000RR SP costing $166,701 less than the RC213V-S while putting out around 60 extra horsepower.

Read More Here: 2015 Honda CBR1000RR SP Review

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been thinking that the non-SP version may be my next bike. Have seen some great prices lately.

#14 ·
The prices of the CBR1000RR are very competitive ATM vs the newer updated competition and it's still an amazing bike. Saying that, the argument for an old classic as @rnevers22 mentioned is good also if you can find one in good condition.

I've got an old 2001 ZX-12R which doesn't skip a beat (rides just as well as the newer litre bikes IMHO), and insurance for it for me at least was literally nothing. (Somehow when I added it to my policy with a 2014 Z1000, they were able to give me both bikes at the same price as one, plus added insurance for gear on top of it for no extra - weird at times how this insurance business works). Not saying get a 12 but if you're a bigger guy and still want a sports bike style, it's definitely worth a look. (Plus it'll still keep up with just about anything on the road if that floats your boat).

Rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.