Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came Across a deal from a friend that let his bike sit ,its a 2014 500r with 2000 miles. its cranking over and the tank looks pretty rusty inside. Im guesing the fuel pump gas gone bad on it. im a car guy its my first bike looking for a decent write up on how to clean the rust out and how to replace the pump.

thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The best write ups you're going to find are in the service manual. There are some good videos on YouTube for dealing with a bike that had sat for a long time. I would caution you against trying to start it before doing the prerequisite housekeeping.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
At the very least, the fuel filter is going to be clogged with rust flakes from the fuel tank. Cleaning the tank and filter will be "Job 1".

One of the unpleasant by-products of long-dormant engines is the turning of old gasoline to a gum-like varnish, which clogs the tiny orifices in carburetors and injectors.
If the bike has been laid up for more than 6 months and the fuel not pre-treated with Sta-Bil (which keeps gas from degrading in long storage), the entire fuel system should be removed and cleaned.

Once done, fill up with fresh gas to which has been added 4-6 ounces of Chevron's "Techron" which will dissolve remaining deposits of "varnish" and carbon.

Fresh engine oil and oil filter, or course.

Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere, you'll have a few months of winter's chill to give you plenty of time to sort out the bike's problems. By all means, download the owner's manual.

Ralph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts