Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am planning to change coolant in my cbr tomorrow. It is below low line. From what I know and learned, steps follow like these

( cold bike )

Open the coolant drain bolt
Open the radiator lid
Drain all the coolant.
Empty overflow reservoir.
Close bolt and cap.
Add distilled water through funnel from the side reservoir and not the radiator.
Turn on bike, keep it on for good 10 20 min. Wait for it to cool down and repeat the steps from start and at the end fill it with the coolant.

( let me know if something wrong or some tips or something to worry about )

Now problem is,
Where is the overflow reservoir and the drain bolt !!

Putting honda hp coolant

This is my first bike and I cleaned it, changed oil and filter and cleaned/lubed chained.

So I am no expert :/ kinda noob.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I make this offer all the time, if you are anywhere near Dallas, Texas I will be happy to show you how to drain and correctly refill your cooling system. If you put your location in your user information, you may find other people local to you willing to help.

Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay There is an Update. I was planning to do coolant flush because coolant in my reservoir is blue. And shop where I bought honda hp coolant type 2 and shop said it is green ._. ( on.my fucking.life I thought it was blue and i believed em until I came home right now and looked up on internet before I open the **** thing )

My bike has seen only 1700 miles I previous owner, he said he only serviced at bike shop and he did nothing on it.

So I believe there honda coolant.
Should I just top it off then with honda coolant I bought ? ( type 2 )

·
Registered
532 Posts
yes, just top it off. You should be able to go many thousands of miles without changing the coolant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, just top it off. You should be able to go many thousands of miles without changing the coolant.
That is how much is filled right now. Should I go to full line ? And what happens if someone overfills it ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, add coolant to the full line. I think it is supposed to be done with the engine cold, and although you should try not to overfill it, I think it will just puke out an over fill tube and not cause any damage if you do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, add coolant to the full line. I think it is supposed to be done with the engine cold, and although you should try not to overfill it, I think it will just puke out the fill tube and not cause any damage if you do.
I took my chances and filled it up to full line with cold engine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As stated, the worst thing that will happen is some coolant will exit via the overflow pipe on the coolant reservoir and appear on the ground (or your back tyre) depends where the end of the overflow pipe is positioned!! Try to make sure the end will just allow the fluid to go on the road, coolant can be quite slippery if it gets on the tyre!! You won't do any mechanical harm if you slightly overfill it!!

Gary

·
Registered
70 Posts
OK, but when you do change coolant out what is this step about -

"Add distilled water through funnel from the side reservoir and not the radiator."

You cant fill the radiator/engine through the overfill tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. Thanks everyone for help. Issue has been solved. :) after filling it to full line I rode 100 miles or more so at this point extra coolant is probably out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts