Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
little update. wasn't happening for a while (was starting just fine in N and kickstand down) yesterday it happened again... this time, while cranking it (if i normally don't do anything it will just crank and crank... aka, it will never start unless i pull the clutch or, like once before, raised and lowered the kickstand while cranking...) well, yesterday i decided to try moving the gear shift while cranking... and it started right up... i gently moved the shift lever down, and just still continued to crank, then i gently moved it up (while still staying in N), and fired right up....
strange huh
i'll keep you posted
pj

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is your neutral indicator on the instrument panel displaying neutral properly? Any flakiness, intermittency etc? If you move the shifter a bit either way, do you see the light do anything?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
update (10.18.2014)
happened again the other day, this time i tried again to move the shift lever gently up, and then down... no go this time...this makes me think it is99% the kickstand safety switch that has gone wonky, i was about to raise it, but i moved the bike, putting pressure again on the kickstand, and it started right up...
pj

·
Registered
83 Posts
With the dealer 150 miles away, sounds like a great excuse to go for ride! I don't understand the big deal here. Glad you've got your part, though, let us know how it works out.

If you think this is bad go get you a new Triumph Bonneville.
Them's fightin' words, man! :pissedoff 50,000km on my Thruxton and not a single hint of trouble. Sorry to hear you've had difficulty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
i will keep you all posted. it is now deer season up here.. and not to mention the high is 38F outside... (still ride to and from work, only 3.5 miles one way)... but 300 miles at 38F (with kamikaze deer).. no thanks!
pj

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the dealer 150 miles away, sounds like a great excuse to go for ride! I don't understand the big deal here. Glad you've got your part, though, let us know how it works out.

Them's fightin' words, man! :pissedoff 50,000km on my Thruxton and not a single hint of trouble. Sorry to hear you've had difficulty.
So happy for you. You got one of the very few good ones. :spin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow long thread. I had this exact issue with my cbx.
its a faulty neutral light switch replaced under warrenty in 10 minutes. No problem since.
dealer said he had seen its a few times on the cbf but my was first cbx with issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having same problem with my 2013 cb500f and its been back to dealership three times over past 6 or7 months and it still not fixed! The diagnostic equipment shows no fault!! I have posted videos on YouTube under the title- CB500F not firing with side stand down. My dealership says they have contacted Honda UK and they have had no reports of this problem!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
any updates?? mine still does it, i just always pull the the kick first... dealing is a bit of a drive.. and summers are crazy for me to get away... but, sounds like a good excuse to take a mini road trip

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Hello,

in my case, the problem was the Neutral Valve, was damage, after replacement my bike starts allways at first.
What's a Neutral Valve?

Just curious, my CBR doesn't have any side stand switch issues.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know it's a bit of an older post, but I'm trying to diagnose a similar issue.

Starter turns the engine over, and over, and over, and eventually starts (I sure hope I don't prematurely wear or score the cylinder liners).
Problem is intermittent, but seems to be getting more frequent.
Battery tested 12.78+ V after sitting over night.
I park my bike in N and start it this way (on stand), before mounting.... just like OP.

Has anyone considered a bad starter clutch? That was my first assumption, both for OP's problem and my own.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think you are due for a battery. These little guys can get to the the mid-13v range. 1 volt can make a big difference.

If you've never changed it, then it's 3-4 years old? That's not an uncommon life span.

I recommend buying one, and fully charging it with a charger that outputs no more than 1 amp (like a Battery Tender Jr) before installing it in the bike. That will help the life span of the new one.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think you are due for a battery. These little guys can get to the the mid-13v range. 1 volt can make a big difference.

If you've never changed it, then it's 3-4 years old? That's not an uncommon life span.

I recommend buying one, and fully charging it with a charger that outputs no more than 1 amp (like a Battery Tender Jr) before installing it in the bike. That will help the life span of the new one.
I'll probably try this first. I think it is the original battery... I'll have to check my receipts. It does still get to mid13v after sitting on the charger though.

·
Registered
561 Posts

I took the battery to Autozone to be tested. They said it's all good... I don't know if it's worth buying a new one anyway, or move on to the next possible cause?

61 - 80 of 95 Posts