Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know. I don't have the book on this bike yet. Sounds like it could be a loose wire somewhere like the coils. Check for fire at the plugs. You are saying the engine turns over but does not start right ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
blackfin
yes, i read your post.. and thanked you for it.. my lazy eyes may have missed it..
so it is obviously an issue with the side stand switch then...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
blackfin
yes, i read your post.. and thanked you for it.. my lazy eyes may have missed it..
so it is obviously an issue with the side stand switch then...
I'll try to check my sidestand for abnormal play tomorrow when I have better access to my bike.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
May I say something?
It's a tiny little problem with a switch, under warranty, and fixing it will maybe take half an hour of labor.
So calm the heck down!
Even though I can understand that you're disappointed, nothing is perfect, so deal with it like an adult. How old are you?
It's not like it's leaving you stuck in a desert or endangering you in any way. It still starts, you can still ride it!
There are other posters who are analyzing this problem, who are trying to help you, so you're not alone. Stop going on about how crappy this bike is, stop putting Honda and the country of manufacture down - what can they do if they correctly install a faulty part?
I understand that you are disappointed that there's an issue with your new bike, and I feel your pain that the dealer is sooo far away, but sometimes life throws you a lemon, so make some Bacardi Lime!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
hi thump, sorry i offended your country...
but thailand is known for it cheapness (and sex tourism)
anyhow, my last bike gave me troubles.. (i had modded it a bit, so i mostly blamed myself).. but i thought ya know what, im done tinkering, im done playing around.. i want something that works (like all my cars! ALL OF THEM!) i have had 5 in the last 15 years (japanese)... and i honestly, HAVE NOT HAD ONE FREAKING ISSUE.. (besides maybe a flat tire) hear that thumper... not one.
i kinda expect that with my bike.. seeing as though one of my cars was made by the same brand name as this thailand-honda-whoknows bike. piece of ****, cheap southeast asia crap. and it is showing. no offense. if i may say something that is.. i payed good money for it.. small issue yes... but i was rather hoping that there would be no issues.. at least for 1 or 2 years... and who's to say there wont be more. i wont the bike to work like the day i picked it up. is that asking too much? maybe from se asia
ive made Bacardi Lime before, and i am rather sick of it
if you cannot help this thread, then leave. thanks
thanks
pj

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
...if you cannot help this thread, then leave.
Sorry I got you riled up even more.

I'll take your advice and will stay away.

I don't think I can help you if you don't like Bacardi Lime. :)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Droogiee, I feel your pain. Going through a similar issue myself and it got me pretty riled up too. Brand new bike with 3 miles and throwing error codes. Add to that a dealer unwilling to pick up the pick and I was pretty pissed off and venting also.

You've gotten a ton of support here as did I, but I have to agree with Thump...get it to the dealer and move on.

If you have not had a single car problem in 15 years, then it's definitely your time. Every car brand has problems. I asked the service manager today when I dropped off my bike if he sees stuff like this often on brand new bikes and he said, "all the time". And they carry just about every brand so it's not just Honda.

That being said I suspect that Honda is using some very cheap electronic components from China in order to keep the cost down. But you can't really blame it on a country anymore as things have changed. Some of the most expensive carbon fiber bicycles are made in Taiwan now, plenty of more examples of that.

Anyway I hope you can get this thing fixed, and begin to enjoy your bike again. As it is a great bike, certainly not perfect but then again what is?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buddy got the EXACT same problem with his ninja 300 last year.
Wouldn't start with the kickstand down (while in Neutral).
Very annoying if u like to run your bike for a few minutes while you gear up.
Kickstart up and it fired right up.
After a wash or when he drove trough the rain it sometimes worked again.
Turned out it was a loose wire on the kickstart switch.
I'd recommend U take it to the dealer and let them fix it. And test it a few times when u collect it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
FYI, my stand has perhaps 3/8" left-right "play" at the tip when moved against the spring with the stand in the down position.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
thanks for the posts guys, and letting me vent a bit...
i suppose you are right... i have been just extremely lucky with my vehicles... and took it for granted.
the issue is now... it is not happening all the time.... today, it never happened once.
my nearest dealer is 140 miles one way... and the weather now is a little too cold for that long of a trip on the bike.. i will most likely just haul it in the back of my pickup...

thanks for the feedback guys
pj

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
thanks for the posts guys, and letting me vent a bit...
i suppose you are right... i have been just extremely lucky with my vehicles... and took it for granted.
the issue is now... it is not happening all the time.... today, it never happened once.
my nearest dealer is 140 miles one way... and the weather now is a little too cold for that long of a trip on the bike.. i will most likely just haul it in the back of my pickup...

thanks for the feedback guys
pj

Intermittent problems are also the most frustrating. I'm also quite a ways from the dealer so I know what you're dealing with. I have a pickup also and plan to get a ramp but I'm a little worried about the whole process of loading and unloading safely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
ya, i dont have a ramp, used a big long board the first time (when i purchased the bike)... was kinda tricky... not having the board slip out, and keeping the bike upright and walking it down... not looking forward to it myself...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You're a braver man than I am. After watching all the loading fail videos on youtube, I bit the bullet and paid $180 to have it delivered when I bought it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Intermittent problems are almost always loose electrical connections. If you are that far away from a dealer or good mechanic you should invest in an owners manual a learn how to use it. Very often there are Youtube videos with similar issues that may help even though it's not the same bike as your's. Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
thanks mr1bienvenu... you have the owners manual for this bike? that's why i bought new.. so i wouldn't have to monkey around with it.. but me, using a board to load/unload, driving 280 miles.. which is worse. hmmm...

maybe i will just try and fix it myself
today happened one time out of 4 starts
p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think he may mean the service manual, not the owner's manual. There's nothing of value in the OM to help you here.

It's available from Helm Inc.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My buddy got the EXACT same problem with his ninja 300 last year.
Wouldn't start with the kickstand down (while in Neutral).
Very annoying if u like to run your bike for a few minutes while you gear up.
Kickstart up and it fired right up.
After a wash or when he drove trough the rain it sometimes worked again.
Turned out it was a loose wire on the kickstart switch.
I'd recommend U take it to the dealer and let them fix it. And test it a few times when u collect it.
So it's not a HONDA problem?

Seems like all the Japanese brands use the same switch and the Chinese cranked out a bad batch.

The only "problem" I ever had on my new CRF250M was that the fuel gauge indicator didn't blink when I was running low. I made sure I always had enough gas in the tank and after an on/off period the same gauge now is working fine again.
Besides that the bike ran perfectly, as expected, for 15,000km. :)

41 - 60 of 95 Posts