Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently (about 2 weeks) been observing some starting trouble on my bike on cold start. I can crank the engine, the engine keeps cranking at ~200RPM (?) without starting. I need to open a bit of throttle for it to start. It happens when I start the engine from cold in the morning, and seems to not have trouble when it is warm enough. Note that the temperature is not too cold now a days ( around 15-20C / 60- 70F ) and has started flawlessly at close to freezing.
The cranking suggests the battery is fine ( took the bike on a hr long ride the other day)
ABout my bike, 2014 CB500F with ~3800 miles. 500+ miles in last month and a half. Oil changed at around 3200 miles ( in March). Did only break in oil change at 600 miles ( not the valve check). did not get the extended warranty unfortunately
:confused2 is anyone facing the same issues? anything I can check quickly? The forum didn't show any similar problems for others.
:frown

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even without the extended warranty wouldn't you still be covered by the 12 month? Check your battery voltage at rest, when idling, and while cranking. If it drops too low (10v or so) while cranking something might be up. If the resting voltage isn't 11.5-12.5 something's up, and if the voltage with the engine running isn't 13+ something's definitely up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My X has been having the same troubles.

Previously, cold or warm, the bike with rev to life with just a brief touch of the button. Now, it has developed the habit that it will "whir-whir-whir-whir" for a while, the starter turning the engine over, but it just doesn't catch the spark. Usually, if the engine is warm (having just ridden for a while) the engine will start immediately. But if left for more than 8 hours or so, it won't catch.

I checked the battery. It's fine. 100%. I checked spark plugs. I took it to the service shop and they tried starting it for several days, and couldn't figure it out.

Internet rumors seem to suggest it may be related to your clutch, or engine oil. The theory is that too thick of oil, or too much tension in gearbox, or something not 100% with the electrical switch hooked up to the clutch, is not cooperating with starting.

I don't know about any of that, and perhaps this is just coincidence, but I find that the beast starts easier if I hold the clutch in while starting, yes, even with it being in Neutral. Perhaps once I get the beast serviced again I will get them to check the oil as well. Or it could all be a mysterious electrical gremlin.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Try cranking with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even without the extended warranty wouldn't you still be covered by the 12 month? Check your battery voltage at rest, when idling, and while cranking. If it drops too low (10v or so) while cranking something might be up. If the resting voltage isn't 11.5-12.5 something's up, and if the voltage with the engine running isn't 13+ something's definitely up.
Internet rumors seem to suggest it may be related to your clutch, or engine oil. The theory is that too thick of oil, or too much tension in gearbox, or something not 100% with the electrical switch hooked up to the clutch, is not cooperating with starting.
I will try both of these and keep you ppl posted :thumbsup

My X has been having the same troubles.

Previously, cold or warm, the bike with rev to life with just a brief touch of the button. Now, it has developed the habit that it will "whir-whir-whir-whir" for a while, the starter turning the engine over, but it just doesn't catch the spark. Usually, if the engine is warm (having just ridden for a while) the engine will start immediately. But if left for more than 8 hours or so, it won't catch.
I think this just describes the same problem as I have,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tried started with the clutch engaged in neutral and didn't have to throttle. Also battery is cranking full Cold start amperes at 12 V.
am going to try with a fuel system cleaner additives and see how that works out. if else I will have to check other options!
Thanks you all!:motorcycle :motorcycle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I have just come on to forum and have starting probs, I wondered have you found answer to problem yet? I think I have the same too. It's either oil/clutch or I have also seen, a side stand/neutral/clutch prob too on this forum

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The most likely solution to starting problems is a weak battery (they can go bad suddenly), so have it tested under load at an auto parts store or garage.
Another possibility is a dirty fuel system and a fuel system cleaner may help, but that won't solve the problem with 1 application.

Have a happy 4th

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there, I have just come on to forum and have starting probs, I wondered have you found answer to problem yet? I think I have the same too. It's either oil/clutch or I have also seen, a side stand/neutral/clutch prob too on this forum
Keeps Happening once in a while. I just use clutch while starting. Haven't had to do anything else.
sorry had not come to the forum for a while so hadn't seen your question.

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
The most likely solution to starting problems is a weak battery (they can go bad suddenly), so have it tested under load at an auto parts store or garage.
Another possibility is a dirty fuel system and a fuel system cleaner may help, but that won't solve the problem with 1 application.

Have a happy 4th
That is what I found with my old bike. I thought it was when the bike was cold, but it turned out to be the battery had corrosion on the terminals. I just experienced it after short trips, but that is probably because the charge was being sucked out due to loose and corroded terminal connections. Plus I think the battery was on its last legs. Replacing that battery changed everything.

What I learned from that experience is to check the terminals for corrosion and that they can be cleaned with a mixture of baking soda and water. If the battery is good, it will take a charge and then can be put back in the motorcycle. I had enough experience with mine to know that it needed to be replaced. I had done a lot of work to the bike, but never to the battery except to keep it on a battery tender. If the bike sits a lot, it needs one. Otherwise, it should hold the charge unless there is a problem with its age or the terminal connection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have experienced this however it has gone away completely now that I use the bike every day.

I think it is related to the battery and now that I use it more often the battery is getting to stay up at 100% instead of discharging slightly between uses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m having the same issues with starting. I was told that it could be a bad coil. I will also try the clutch trick as I usually start the bike on the kickstand in neutral. My bike is a 2013 FA with about 25000miles/38000km. It seems to be getting harder and harder to start every time I take it out. I use it about 4 times a week mostly for commuting to and from work. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
293 Posts
First thing to check is the battery. At 25,000 miles it's done a few cycles.
Exactly. Any time there's a starting problem...begin with the battery . All else is a waste of time and effort until you verify the battery is fully charged and is load tested to ensure it holds a charge. It's also easier and less expensive than chasing after electrical system ghosts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking the battery as well. I tried the clutch trick this morning and it fired right up so I’m thinking maybe the battery might be weak as I believe it’s original to the bike. 7+ years

·
Registered
629 Posts
Adding my 2 cents worth.

I doubt that the batter is the culprit here. Probably fuel supply\

If you do go the route of fuel additive, let me recommend the regular use of LUCAS fuel additive. I use it in all my vehicles constantly. On my antique BMW which the carbs weren't that good, after cleaning the system, I started using Lucas, and from then on, the fuel system stayed spotless! Never had the problem again!

Since it mixes at a 400:1 ratio, it goes a long ways. I purchase it in the gallon jug, which lasts a looooong time on all my vehicles, 2 cars, 1 riding mower, and one motorcycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually have some of that Lucas fuel treatment. Going to give my battery a good charge tonight after work and see if it fires right up like it did this morning. I have been having cold hard starting for about a month now and seems to gradually be getting worse until this morning when I pulled in the clutch. Every other cold start in the last month was not so easy. The bike seems to run perfectly otherwise. I will start adding the fuel treatment as a preventative measure though. Thanks

1 - 20 of 59 Posts