Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there noob here just wondering if anyone has any idea what contraption I have on my headlight. I've recently purchased a 2014 Cb500f on a 63 registration and noticed the main beam isn't working, I've removed the wiring loom to the bulb but it seems like it's one complete unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the 2014 CB500F the halogen headlight bulb has two filaments, one for low and one for high beam. You can see them inside the bulb (filament = coiled wire). Normally you would just replace the bulb with the same bulb from an auto parts store.

However I have the USA version of this bike and my headlight wiring looks completely different from the photo. In my bike there is a 3 wire electrical connector that plugs directly onto the base of the bulb. The bulb also looks different (mine is fatter). I believe the USA bike uses an H4 (or 9003) bulb.

Perhaps the previous owner installed a HID lighting system? Is there a manufacturer name on the black base of the bulb assembly?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're 100% correct it was an HID assembly, after stripping the light I removed it completely so I am now back to stock which sounds like is just the same setup as you have with an h4 standard bulb.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
134 Posts
One more thought.

There is a circular rubber gasket that goes between the bulb and the electrical connector to seal out dust/water. If the previous owner removed it, buy a new one. It's called a "rubber cover" in the Honda OEM parts list.

It's tabs are oriented one above the other and it seals over the circular rim of the headlight housing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The replacement HID bulb is cheaper and far superior to the stock halogen. My advice would be to get the replacement HID bulb and take advantage of your situation. I posted my results here a few years ago. I'm still running the same setup and I'm very happy. Search HID conversion. You'll find a lot of us here running that setup.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ooreelaxoo

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The replacement HID bulb is cheaper and far superior to the stock halogen. My advice would be to get the replacement HID bulb and take advantage of your situation. I posted my results here a few years ago. I'm still running the same setup and I'm very happy. Search HID conversion. You'll find a lot of us here running that setup.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for your reply, I just went with osram nightbreaker 200% I couldn't be annoyed with the hid setup although it's still there if I ever change my mind. The problem was I had no main beam on it and didn't know if the bulb was faulty or if there was no main beam option with the hid bulb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts